Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, people were just giving their opinions, it's not always going to be positive. It starts to get silly when people try to discredit an opinion by saying things like "you need to broaden your music horizons" (my sides are still aching from that particular poster saying that :D).

However, I do think this band gets overly criticised sometimes and it would have been nice if people stuck to discussing this song as that's what the thread's about. They're not a bad band by any means and there are far worse around.

Rocketpop wrote: »
    Okkervil River (Will Sheff is my fav lyricist of this generation).
    Good call, he's a very good songwriter and lyricist, Still not a "genius" though :D.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »

Good call, he's a very good songwriter and lyricist, Still not a "genius" though :D.

I'm not sure what a lyrical genius is ;)

New Okkervil album out this sept :)
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    dEUS.
    My Morning Jacket
    The National

Love, love, love! :D
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arctic Monkeys have announced details of their new album, including the title: 'AM'.

The album, the band's fifth studio record, will be released on September 9 and features 12 tracks including the new single 'Do I Wanna Know?'. The song 'Mad Sounds', first played at the Hultsfred festival in Sweden earlier this year, also appears alongside 2012 single 'R U Mine?'. Scroll down to see the full tracklisting for 'AM'.

Produced by James Ford, the album features appearances from Queens Of The Stone Age frontman Josh Homme plus former The Coral member Bill Ryder-Jones and Elvis Costello's drummer Pete Thomas. The words of punk poet John Cooper Clarke appear on the track 'I Wanna Be Yours'.

The 'AM' tracklisting is as follows:

'Do I Wanna Know?'
    'R U Mine?'
    'One For The Road'
    'Arabella'
    'I Want It All'
    'No. 1 Party Anthem'
    'Mad Sounds'
    'Fireside'
    'Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High?'
    'Snap Out Of It'
    'Knee Socks'
    'I Wanna Be Yours'

I know there was a Velvet Underground compilation called VU but surely they're taking the piss out of Beady Eye with the title too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Great tune.

They will always split opinion but for me a top band with a top lyric writer. They tore it up at Glastonbury proving they've got better with age. Many of the hater's don't like the fact they had the music press kissing their ass but sure The Smiths, The Stone Roses and Oasis had it the same. The more success a band has the more haters it gets.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    The Smiths didnt just have in Morrrisey a great songwriter but the smiths knew how important the tune,melody and hook are to the song - imho as important as the lyrics . AM dont seem to understand that.

I basically agree, but i think a great tune, melody, catchy chourus and riffs, are actually far more important than good lyrics.
    There's many a well loved pop/rock songs with naff/meaningless lyrics, but how many well loved songs are there that just have good lyrics but no tune etc?

btw. I thought they were rather flat at Glasto.
    Played well enough, but the band has zero stage presence and totally lacking in showmanship.
    Old man Jagger showed them up bigtime!!!