Options

EE: DTC- What a big injustice sacking Lola. I hope he reads this and changes his mind

Comments

• Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    It is a shame, but the producers don't care about what the public think.

Nor should they. Fans are the very last people producers should listen to. That way lies madness. It would be like letting the monkeys take over the zoo.
  • Options
    faith11faith11 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Nor should they. Fans are the very last people producers should listen to. That way lies madness. It would be like letting the monkeys take over the zoo.

Wow. Irma that's a bit disrespectful of those who watch the show. Eastenders wouldn't exist without anyone watching it. My writing this post was not at a whim. I do not make lots of posts on Eastenders and I did not write it just because I like Lola even though I do like her but really from an unbiased point of view I watched her a few years ago when she shone in roles she was given to act which she acted very well with Phil and the baby storyline and of course I thought the sensible thing for any producer to do will be to keep someone as gifted as that. Isn't that what most produces do to keep casts that will keep people watching the show. Lola was one of those who kept us watching during the Newman era when stories were so boring. I just thought it didn't make sense to sack someone who has been good for the show. I wont describe myself as a die hard fan of Eastenders but a lot of fans have good ideas on a show they watch. Don't disrespect them/ us by likening us to monkeys trying to take over the zoo!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    Not as far as I know but if they are popular they will often be brought back, very likely with Lola having Ben as Lexi's Dad and Billy on the square.

Kim was brought back wasn't she? I seem to remember her being written out under Newman or maybe I was wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference being, Lola is a more selfless character, who would do anything for her child and thinks more about her kid than herself. Cindy on the other hand is selfish and only cares about herself.

Cindy did not get rid of Beth because she was doing the right thing for the child, she got rid of her because Beth got on her nerves and she could not be bothered with the child and was too selfish to let Ian and Jane have her. If Cindy did the selfless thing, she would have let Beth stay with Ian and Jane and go back to see her Gran.

I agree..
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    faith11 wrote: »
    Kim was brought back wasn't she? I seem to remember her being written out under Newman or maybe I was wrong

No Tameka went off with medical issues as she had a complicated risky pregnancy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Tameka went off with medical issues as she had a complicated risky pregnancy.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought she was axed at the time...
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And from what we have seen neither does dtc. He is far too biased to run a show like eastenders.

And you know everything about running a tv show :D
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you know everything about running a tv show :D

Well a show like eastenders isnt suppose to be 95% one family or branch of a family and 5% the others.

I dont know everything but then who does. Its become clear as off late how bad dtc really is. I dont seem fussed about watching it anymore which is a shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well a show like eastenders isnt suppose to be 95% one family or branch of a family and 5% the others.

I dont know everything but then who does. Its become clear as off late how bad dtc really is. I dont seem fussed about watching it anymore which is a shame.

When exactly were the carters last seen? Sporadic appearances don't count. There has been a perfect balance of characters since the live episodes.

I know shirl and Dean have been in it but that's the Masood storyline really.
  • Options
    CM2604CM2604 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    When exactly were the carters last seen? Sporadic appearances don't count. There has been a perfect balance of characters since the live episodes.

Ssh!!! That doesn't fit with some people's agenda's.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM2604 wrote: »
    Ssh!!! That doesn't fit with some people's agenda's.

It's beyond pathetic now. If the Carters are so bad - folks need to switch off.

As for Lola. I think DTC doesn't like Lexi being Ben kid. He's done nothing to progress this since Ben returned - thankfully. B
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Preach, sorcha! :)
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bryan Kirkwood was the one who introduced Lola Pearce to EastEnders. He's been a fan of going back to the show for the likes of Cliff Parisi, Gillian Taylforth and Daniella Westbrook.

So I wonder if we'll see Danielle Harold snapped up by Hollyoaks to come in as a member of the Savage family. Martine McCutcheon to play her Mum and younger sister of Dirk and Charles.
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, sorcha there's too much anti-Carter rhetoric on here. Ithink the show is in a good place at the moment. Good to find a few others on here with a bit of balance in their opinions. :cool:;-)
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it is fair when The Carters are blamed for being overused. Kat/Alfie/Shabnam/ Kush/Cindy/Sonia have all had a lot of screen time too, yet nobody moans on about that.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How very dare you burst the bubble of made up grievance some people have. Every time I see the same people blame the Carters for all their woes it makes me realise that clearly they aren't really watching the show and are just pushing their own agenda.

As for Lola - do we even know the actress was fired and it wasn't just a case of them mutually deciding? Lola isn't a big loss so I don't get the OTT outrage (although there's no petition, so idk how real this outrage is :D) but characters have left that I've loved that no one else has, so I sympathise in that regard, but at the same time, this idea that an EP should 'answer' for every single character leaving or defend themselves if our fave isn't getting the storylines or the screentime we feel they ~deserve is ludicrous and pretty entitled. We're fans, we should remember our place sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How very dare you burst the bubble of made up grievance some people have. Every time I see the same people blame the Carters for all their woes it makes me realise that clearly they aren't really watching the show and are just pushing their own agenda.

As for Lola - do we even know the actress was fired and it wasn't just a case of them mutually deciding? Lola isn't a big loss so I don't get the OTT outrage (although there's no petition, so idk how real this outrage is :D) but characters have left that I've loved that no one else has, so I sympathise in that regard, but at the same time, this idea that an EP should 'answer' for every single character leaving or defend themselves if our fave isn't getting the storylines or the screentime we feel they ~deserve is ludicrous and pretty entitled. We're fans, we should remember our place sometimes.

Shirley needs a lot less screentime and a long break. Mick and linda have been/are having a break which has been enjoyable and nancy and lee finally have storylines kicking off.

Shirley needs a year break like max, kalfie and kim and lauren. Max and kalfie certainly dont woth their lack of screentime. Jaqualine and tameka were in maternity but shirley is hogging the screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is fair when The Carters are blamed for being overused. Kat/Alfie/Shabnam/ Kush/Cindy/Sonia have all had a lot of screen time too, yet nobody moans on about that.

The masoods have been on the back bench for all of dtcs era before this.

Kat and alfie were week in week out with the worst block storytellinf.

Sonia is more of a supporter character.

Cindy is involved in a big storyline and is now above 16. Shes still not overused. Just in a few scenes per episode shes in.

Kush in brand him with the masoods.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    firstly, no one is making you feel sorry for Dean - if you are feeling sorry for Dean then that is your issue - personally, I am not feeling sorry for Dean however hard DTC is pushing that angle at me

secondly, do you actually know she was sacked?

I dont have a thirdly but tbh I am not really bothered or surprised that the character is to be no more - Lola hasnt had a decent storyline since Phil took Lexi of her
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    faith11 wrote: »
    while I'm not homophobic,it seems he just has an agenda to put as many gay story lines on screen even though they are not good actors) I want to see good actors on my screen not terrible actors been promoted just because they're gay. Brendan in Hollyoaks was an awesome actor though he was gay( I hasten to add I did not approve of his gay lifestyle but that is my personal preference in real life,I love gay people and have them as friends while not approving of their lifestyle so I don't believe in being homophobic) but Brendan in Holly oaks storyline worked not because he was gay but because of the stories he had I mean he battled serial killers etc and you couldn't help but love him because you could understand why he was so flawed. Sonia and Tina not the same( their gay love affair is so boring)

With all due respect, the only one with an agenda here is you... what on Earth has this supposed 'gay invasion' (4 gay characters, OMG!!) got to do with Lola's axing?

And regardless of whether or not you see it as homophobia, the fact that you "disapprove of the gay lifestyle" is in itself hugely homophobic. Its the same "Love the sinner hate the sin" bullshit the Catholic church has been pedalling for years and frankly I'm sick of it. Pure bigotry.

Back on topic (RANT OVER), I was never one of the devoted Lola fanboys on here and as such I see her exit as wholly justified. The teen pregnancy storyline has been done to death, and done better frankly. And the way they softened her character left her with no conceivable direction to go other than continually sleeping with and breaking up/being dumped by the young males on the Square in succession.

Good riddance to deadwood I say.
  • Options
    storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I think Lola was a great character in her first two years, she started to go downhill for me. Danielle is great at playing Lola, it was the fact that the focus shifted from teenagers to the adults of the soap that sparked this decision no doubt. Nowadays EastEnders is focusing on the adults and elders and it's understandable. The thing with Lola is that ultimately people have recognised her as a teenager even though she is nearly not one and they will continue on to. So I'm not surprised DTC wrote her out because he knew that he couldn't do anything with her yet. After all, many characters on the show have stigmas attached to them that will never go away. Stacey is known for chasing after men in relationships, Max is known for cheating and Shirley is the one who is likely to ruin things. I can see Lola returning later on in life and perhaps finding love with someone in the Square. I reckon it was not a one sided decision, Danielle must have mutually agreed it which means that no offence but you can't feel sorry for her. Every character has a shelf life and Lola's happened to end now. She will no doubt return but like I mentioned earlier, her character is becoming irrelevant with the show's focus because it's no longer about the teenagers now. Liam is leaving, Fatboy is an adult, Jay and Ben are not really associated with Lola.

And if I am being honest, what more could they do with Lola? Poor girl was being wasted and I can see her being on Hollyoaks now but that soap is full of crap these days.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley needs a lot less screentime and a long break. Mick and linda have been/are having a break which has been enjoyable and nancy and lee finally have storylines kicking off.

Shirley needs a year break like max, kalfie and kim and lauren. Max and kalfie certainly dont woth their lack of screentime. Jaqualine and tameka were in maternity but shirley is hogging the screen.

Shirley seems to be used in the summer quite a bit. I assume it's because of Linda Henry's annual two month break. I love Shirley as a character, but I admit that I'm glad when she's out of the picture for those two months. When she returns in November, it always seems as though the character is renewed. The same could be said for Linda and Mick as well - we saw a lot of them for a long time, they're getting a bit of a break, and I think it will be nice to see them back again down the road a bit.

As for Dean, I don't understand that continual complaints that the writers are "making us feel sorry for Dean." I honestly see very few posters expressing any sympathy for him whatsoever. Whatever interest he had in having a relationship with his daughter seemed to fade fast. He may be mentally ill based on his erratic moods and behavior, but we haven't seen anything definite that points to illness. So where is this imposed sympathy for Dean coming from?
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever you want to believe, Dean and Shirley aren't stealing screentime or storylines from Lola. They are two of my least favourite characters but to correlate them with Lola is just silly.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me who doesn't find her to be that good an actress? I don't think there's anything else she could do on the show. If she goes it makes room for better actresses/characters like Lorna/Abi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to mick and Linda return. I've missed them :p