Parent complaining about school photo being on internet

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with not putting other people's kids' pics up without permission, but that is not what I was talking about.

What were you talking about?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Quite right too. Perverts have been known to disguise themselves as school buildings to get a closer look, you know.

This is the way forward for school photos. And buckets over their heads when out in public, obviously. That'll stop anyone who isn't a bucket-fetishist from having impure thoughts.

:D:eek:;)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,506
    Forum Member
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Im fairly certain who ever posted it on facebook, has broken the terms of the photo?

The standard photos allow you to buy a licence to share the images on your computer, the class photos dont have that option.

If contacted facebook should take it down.
    Parents of the World welcome to the 21st Century.

If major corporations can't stop illegal file sharing there's no chance of individual parents or schools stopping illegal publishing of school photos.

Same problem, same impossibility of stopping it. Living life with the Internet in 2010.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    You can sign something to say the school can't publish your child's image anywhere. Mine have a loony Fathers 4 Justice father so can't be featured anywhere or he'd figure out which school they go to. When the kids did something really exciting at Xmas was in all the local papers but my kids had to miss out and be taken somewhere else, whilst everyone else had their photo taken. I felt sorry for them but believe me it can be a safety issue for some kids.

Morons publishing a class photo on FB should be controlled as they can't know the issues other kids may have or how much it could endanger them.
    The law probably needs to be changed to protect kids, then. Personally I'd never think it was a good idea to splatter other people's kids' pics over the interweb least of all FB with the recent cases involving its members... hard to believe people are so thick or insensitive.

I would publish a sharp insult to their wall and embarrass them in front of their creepy mates who are interested in such images.

loony Fathers 4 Justice father
    Morons publishing a class photo on FB
    hard to believe people are so thick or insensitive
    their creepy mates

such a balanced and even handed perspective
  • super chicksuper chick Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    DGSx wrote: »
    Frank Furedi, a sociology professor at the University of Kent, said: "Every time a school takes silly measures, it says we see the world through the eyes of a paedophile."

He should be sacked then. Stupid thing to say.:eek::confused::rolleyes::mad::p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    Why is it a stupid thing to say?

Or are you another paranoid parent?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collette wrote: »
    I don't understand this whole 'danger' aspect to be honest - as others have said the chances of happening across a photo without knowing the person who uploaded it is fairly slim. Also unless these children have their own facebook accounts (which is another debate in itself...) then they'll not be tagged on it anyway so I can't see how anything can possibly link back?

I've not put my kids' class photos online mainly because I don't really see the point and the pics are usually crap anyway - I have however seen old pics put on and there are plenty of school photos out there with my 80s bad hair on too. There is one photo of my daughter's class in reception too - she's now 13 and I really don't see it as a risk at all to anyone. I would however put pics of their parties and days out online which may or may not include their friends - any photos I take presumably are my own and therefore I do have the right to do that as long as I'm not naming them?!

My son took part in a football tournament at the weekend and there was a professional company there taking photos of all of the boys which have been uploaded onto their site so that people can buy them - I could argue that they're using images of my child that anyone can access, he's in his football strip categorised by age group and the event that they were taken at is named. Personally I like using the service and can see that there is no risk whatsoever...

I think you do? Although it's more polite to ask the kids or their parents first. Not everybody is comfortable about having personal information about themselves or their family on the internet.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    loony Fathers 4 Justice father
    Morons publishing a class photo on FB
    hard to believe people are so thick or insensitive
    their creepy mates

such a balanced and even handed perspective

I'd hardly be unbiased having been through a rather horrendous experience. And that is precisely why I want to protect my kids. Why is that hard to comprehend?
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hardly be unbiased having been through a rather horrendous experience. And that is precisely why I want to protect my kids. Why is that hard to comprehend?

Because you are judging everyone else's experience by your own. Just because you have to be careful does not mean that everyone else should!

I have zero problem with my kids photo's being on facebook or similar places.
  • jamesdeanukjamesdeanuk Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand her point completely, I think any over 18 that is friends with an under 18 on Facebook should have a background check done for any history of child abuse first like how all Nurses, teachers, doctors, etc need a check before they can work with children. Also any name on the child sex offender list should be blocked from signing up to Facebook.
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    I can understand her point completely, I think any over 18 that is friends with an under 18 on Facebook should have a background check done for any history of child abuse first like how all Nurses, teachers, doctors, etc need a check before they can work with children. Also any name on the child sex offender list should be blocked from signing up to Facebook.

How would that work then? Several of my nieces/nephews and friends kids have me as a facebook friend.

The whole thing is a bit overhyped. We have close firends who have adopted older children from very scary backgrounds and they are careful not to mention their names and be careful with pictures on facebook but inevitably they are in big group shots at parties/ events etc

If the children are not named then how could they be tracked down anyway?
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member

Why not just have criminal background checks on all friends and family too for that matter? As they are far more likely to sexually abuse your child than a random on facebook. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member

Can anyone say paranoia?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I think you do? Although it's more polite to ask the kids or their parents first. Not everybody is comfortable about having personal information about themselves or their family on the internet.

It's not really personal info though is it if it's a photo of your child that just happens to have some other kids in the background with no tags on anyone else? I completely agree that it would be wrong to name kids on a photo and that's one of the reasons why schools and youth groups don't when photos of kids appear in newspapers for example I guess. It's a difficult one because I can see that the parent has the right to show other people the photo of their child and providing they have the correct settings on their facebook account then only their immediate friends will be able to see them anyway.
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we had our big school picture taken in April last year, of course when we got the copies a load of us put it online, and tagged everyone at the school in it. There was the option of removing the tag, but no-one did this, and everyone else tagged themselves in the one I uploaded. I've written down the names of everyone I can remember on a piece of paper that goes with the picture, and it's in the little box with it, but it's good to have an online reminder of everyone who I was at school with there.

The woman was just being a part of Paedomania IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    Take 2 pictures. One with everyone in, one with the kids who don't want to be in. Put the one with the lil spoil sports left out on the webpage and give the grumpy parents the full one, sorted. Or just take one of everyone and just blur the kids faces out who don't want to be there

So people who have issues with wanting privacy (for whatever reason) or genuine reasons to be cautious about why they wouldn't want their kids image plastered over the internet are "spoil sports"?

Oh dear. :(
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think any over 18 that is friends with an under 18 on Facebook should have a background check done for any history of child abuse first

Well that makes sense, doesn't it. Particularly if you're 18 and half your mates are 17.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I have posted a photo of my daughters 9th birthday party on FB she is tagged and so are a few of her friends, have I done a terrible thing? Are unbalanced people (note people not just men) salivating and masturbating right now? Possibly.

I don't think any of the other parents are that bothered if they know about the FB image.

Oh I should say this photo is over ten years old.

I think there is one of a small boy in Trafalgar Square in shorts feeding the pigeons that should satisfy a few fetishes. Well it was the sixties and my parents took me to swinging London.

Relax, breath and get some perspective. Oh and if in the highly unlikely chance your kids are interfered with in all likelihood you'll know the perp or even be related to them.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DGSx wrote: »
    Frank Furedi, a sociology professor at the University of Kent, said: "Every time a school takes silly measures, it says we see the world through the eyes of a paedophile."

I don't always see eye to eye with Furedi, but I generally agree with his overall argument (ie we are so frightened of risk we are ruining our children's lives), and here I think he's spot on.

I know I always quote this one, but Doug Stanhope had it right when he said that some people just don't want to admit that nobody fancies their children.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lets be honest, it's people like this that are doing more damage to our kids through paranoia and scaremongering than anything else.
    The reality is that the chance of a pedo hurting any of my children is miniscule, whereas idiots like this are preventing all kids from having a normal childhood due to their pathetic 'lets wrap em up in cotton wool' attitude.

Please, get a brain!
  • Gloom of WhomGloom of Whom Posts: 197
    Forum Member

Well that's you buggered then.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Why not try setting up your own version of Facebook and see how that works out.
  • TOOTandcomeinTOOTandcomein Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Lets be honest, it's people like this that are doing more damage to our kids through paranoia and scaremongering than anything else.
    The reality is that the chance of a pedo hurting any of my children is miniscule, whereas idiots like this are preventing all kids from having a normal childhood due to their pathetic 'lets wrap em up in cotton wool' attitude.

Please, get a brain!

Ain't that the truth.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what the size limits are for photos on facebook, but I shouldn't imagine they're over-generous. By the time a class pic has been reduced to the correct size, only loving parents would be able to identify their children....after a couple of wrong guesses.

Anyone trying to find a specific child by searching generally for class pics would have a nearly impossible task. If more schools added photos of more classes, it would make it even harder,

As for paedophiles, what on earth would be erotic about school photos ? The are much better photos in clothing catalogues for example. I'd think.

I have a teletubbies video for my grandchildren (they're a bit too old for it now). One sequence is of children about 3 year old playing in a garden paddling pool, dresed only in very skimpy shorts. I was always terrified of someone seeing that bit through the window and reporting me to the police.

As someone has pointed out, abuse of children by strangers is very rare; the biggest danger by far is from their "loved ones".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the answer is Facebook removing their 'tagging' option. Perhaps you could still tag in such a way that the photo will still appear under 'photos of you' but the names wont be displayed on other peoples' profiles?