Comments

• lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly the worst day for that to be realised but her fans will still vote for her
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah. Serves me right for clicking on it, but that's a snidey spiteful little article if you like.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    What a cheat!
    She spent three years studying the discipline at the Bodywork Dance Company in Cambridge, emerging with a musical theatre qualification at the age of 20
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care about if people are or aren't, it's nice to see both those who can dance and put on amazing numbers and those who cannot like Simon but come out and really improve and learn.

Jill had a lot of dance experience and she won. Others from other years have too and the women this year have a lot too, what annoys me is last year it was such a big deal that Natalie had dance training and it kind of ruined it a bit for her and Artem, but this year it's not been a big deal at all.

Don't know if I have got my point across, sorry my head is quite fuzzy today!
  • SH1965SH1965 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Nasty! The Daily Mail have really kicked the sequin boot in to Carolyn
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    I know it's inevitable when you're talking celebs that some will have some sort of training. I just think they should be up-front about it.
  • Siobhan_KellySiobhan_Kelly Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    This debate will go on this time next year again, because the producers will continue to invite people who went to drama schools onto the show, people need to accept the Pixies, the Carolines, the Natalies and the Denises its not their fault they had a desire to get into showbiz
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is a musical theatre qualification specific latin/ballroom experience?

Also, I heard she'd done this course months ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's inevitable when you're talking celebs that some will have some sort of training. I just think they should be up-front about it.

Well, it hasn't been a secret :confused:
    The Bodyshop stuff has been discussed on here quite a bit over the series and the Dancing on Wheels thing was actually in the BBC Strictly bio blurb so it's not like either tried to hide it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is a musical theatre qualification specific latin/ballroom experience?

I understood, from the early series of Strictly, that the only bar to a celeb being eligible was that they had competed at any age in a formal ballroom/Latin competiton. That's it.

(I seem to think that Alison Hammond also studied Musical Theatre but no one seems to be bothered about that - even after Wuthering Heights ;-) )
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a spiteful piece in the paper, why print this today of all days. It is clear that she has had dance training, but so have many others, present and in the past. It can;t be avoided these days. She has had no training in ballroom or latin, and that to me, is what matters. She has not had much of an advantage. I;m not especially a fan of Caroline but why spoil someone's day....:(
  • notsolonely153notsolonely153 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a deeply bitchy article.
  • marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's only a problem if only one of the contestants stands out way above the others because they have specific experience or training. That looks blatantly unfair. But it's not the case this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    Sounds like a spiteful piece in the paper, why print this today of all days. It is clear that she has had dance training, but so have many others, present and in the past. It can;t be avoided these days. She has had no training in ballroom or latin, and that to me, is what matters. She has not had much of an advantage. I;m not especially a fan of Caroline but why spoil someone's day....:(

Because it's the Daily Mail?
    Because they can?

(I think it's the nudge, nudge innuendo stuff about her love life that winds me up more than the dance stuff. That's just par for the course).
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I understood, from the early series of Strictly, that the only bar to a celeb being eligible was that they had competed at any age in a formal ballroom/Latin competiton. That's it.

(I seem to think that Alison Hammond also studied Musical Theatre but no one seems to be bothered about that - even after Wuthering Heights ;-) )

Didn't it come out midway through Series 8 that Scott had competed in ballroom/latin as a teenager? And you've got all those people who'll swear blind that Pixie said she'd done a bit on ITT.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    It's false though. Caroline confirmed that on Twitter.

I dont see why people make out like the others haven't had any sort of training. All the finalists have to some extent. Frankie and Simon are part of a group that sings and dances - have both been to 'Drama/Singing/Dancing' schools. Mark has done the basics of dancing. As has Caroline. It's really nothing new to have people on the show with some dancing knowledge.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think it's been brought up about her experience on ITT a few times (by Tim and Craig), more than it's been mentioned that the others have been to Stage School so the DM even have that a bit wrong?!
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I don't really care about if people are or aren't, it's nice to see both those who can dance and put on amazing numbers and those who cannot like Simon but come out and really improve and learn.

Jill had a lot of dance experience and she won. Others from other years have too and the women this year have a lot too, what annoys me is last year it was such a big deal that Natalie had dance training and it kind of ruined it a bit for her and Artem, but this year it's not been a big deal at all.

Don't know if I have got my point across, sorry my head is quite fuzzy today!

My head is clear. And I agree with you.

I said on opening night that Caroline had had some sort of dance experience, it was obvious from the way she moved instinctively when Pasha took up the partnership. But who cares. I think it is obvious too that her experience was not in partner dancing. Her frame is still rather sloppy but she styles it out well. She has entertained me and I have enjoyed many of her dances. Good luck to her and the others tonight.

Hope your fuzzy head is the price of a great night last night Amelia and that you will be fighting fit by 7pm. :)
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Daily Mail anti BBC? Who would have thunk it?

Is it really a surprise that an entertainer has experience of various areas of the business?

I would think Frankie and Simon both have experience of dancing and choreography.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Didn't it come out midway through Series 8 that Scott had competed in ballroom/latin as a teenager? And you've got all those people who'll swear blind that Pixie said she'd done a bit on ITT.

:D Initially I missed the series 8 bit and thought you were referring to Scott - The crab.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, even for the Daily Nazi's that's a really unpleasant and bitchy article. I'm also not sure what on earth her personal life has to do with any of it I either? :confused:
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will help her in her contemporary piece for showdance tonight, but compared to other years do not think she has vast dance experience and def not ballroom or latin so doesnt bother me
  • martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there may be another article in today's DM too.

A couple of hours ago Caroline tweeted this "Woke up to some horrible unnecessary mean spirited articles today..All I can do I go on tonight and do my best"
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a trained monkey, but they still let me post.
  • CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This debate will go on this time next year again, because the producers will continue to invite people who went to drama schools onto the show, people need to accept the Pixies, the Carolines, the Natalies and the Denises its not their fault they had a desire to get into showbiz

BIB: :confused::confused:Whose fault is it? They made the decision to pursue a showbiz career. They are surely answerable for their own choices?

As an aside, I have no preference one way or the other whether they have dance training, I just prefer those who have come to Strictly with no previous dance experience and I too would prefer the "ringers" to be up-front about it.
This discussion has been closed.