Options

House of Cards season 3 discussion thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    I like the thoughtful discussion on here. But honestly, I struggled with this series particularly the last few episodes. The glue that held a lot of the intrigue together was the relationship between Frank and Claire. Without that, it's become less believable. She's a cold-hearted bitch and frankly (ha!) I don't give a shit about her. So I can't see where this is going? My conclusion is that they should have ended the whole thing with season 2. I got SO BORED with Doug's thing eventually. I suppose that he will eventually ally himself with Claire or end up stabbing Frank in the back. Unfortunately I don't really care any more. It was such a gripping, sharp and interesting show. Not so much now.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendoll wrote: »
    I like the thoughtful discussion on here. But honestly, I struggled with this series particularly the last few episodes. The glue that held a lot of the intrigue together was the relationship between Frank and Claire. Without that, it's become less believable. She's a cold-hearted bitch and frankly (ha!) I don't give a shit about her. So I can't see where this is going? My conclusion is that they should have ended the whole thing with season 2. I got SO BORED with Doug's thing eventually. I suppose that he will eventually ally himself with Claire or end up stabbing Frank in the back. Unfortunately I don't really care any more. It was such a gripping, sharp and interesting show. Not so much now.

Me too, why did they not just let him die at the end of series 2.

They should of ended like the original British series.
  • Options
    ianredianred Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I've not watched season 3 yet is it worth it? Seen 1 & 2
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with the criticism of the show, season 3 was still well worth watching but it never hit the heights on S1 and S2. Agree that the sub plots were poor, Doug was boring after a while and predictable end to the Rachel story.The only sub plot i liked was Yates and the book, although it was pretty much the main story at times.

Petrov was brilliant, and definitely stole the season, he saved it in some ways, the middle episodes with the crisis with Russia were the best parts of the series, the rest not so much. Remy's story was really poor and seemed a total waste of a character who they could have done more with. Jackie was also very predictable in her backstabbing of Frank.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianred wrote: »
    I've not watched season 3 yet is it worth it? Seen 1 & 2

Bit of a strange question, no? If you've made it all the way through series 1 and 2, you must clearly like the show? Why wouldn't you be chomping at the bit to see the third series?
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    This season was all right, but to me it looked like they were scared to do anything radical as they were told there was to be a fourth series.

IMO Claire should have turned against him earlier, then threatened to expose him if he forced her to resign, the last episode should have ended with him throwing off her roof of the white house.

the final series should be about frank as the president trying to plan his exit plan, he knows it will all come out, so needs to "disappear", how does the president of the united states achieve that?, dunno, but it would be fun finding out.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a strange question, no? If you've made it all the way through series 1 and 2, you must clearly like the show? Why wouldn't you be chomping at the bit to see the third series?

Its worth a watch, but it does not have the same kick as the previous series.
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    dend wrote: »
    Gotta agree with the criticism of the show, season 3 was still well worth watching but it never hit the heights on S1 and S2. Agree that the sub plots were poor, Doug was boring after a while and predictable end to the Rachel story.The only sub plot i liked was Yates and the book, although it was pretty much the main story at times.

Petrov was brilliant, and definitely stole the season, he saved it in some ways, the middle episodes with the crisis with Russia were the best parts of the series, the rest not so much. Remy's story was really poor and seemed a total waste of a character who they could have done more with. Jackie was also very predictable in her backstabbing of Frank.
    Yes indeed! Totally agree that the scenes involving him were the most interesting. I think the trouble is that the whole premise of the show - us being allowed into the world of Frank and all his machinations, both shocking and humorous - has been lost. So we're left with a rather flat feeling and it's not going to get any better.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised to see so much love on here for S2 which I found quite dull - aside from Zoe's death and Francis becoming president. S3 was, IMO, a lot stronger. I absolutely LOVED the Russia plot, and Lars Mikkelsen as Petrov was excellent. I've seen him before in The Killing and thought he was brilliant in that as well. Also I didn't realise until I looked him up on IMDB that he's brother to Mads Mikkelsen who plays Hannibal. Very talented siblings. :D

What I enjoyed most about this series was the increased focus on Claire. Robin Wright Penn really is an absolute goddess, and I loved that we finally found a worthy adversary for Francis in the shape of his wife. Although I kind of missed their closeness and clear admiration for one another in this series, it was also brilliant to see such a battle of the wills between them. I also enjoyed the subplot with the writer (sorry, his name escapes me) - it was really interesting to see Francis and Claire react when he held a mirror up to their relationship. Excellent stuff.

I agree that the stuff with Doug was too drawn out and by the end I didn't feel all that moved by Rachel's death. It's a shame that such a large part of the series was devoted to this as I felt it could have been wrapped up within the first few episodes. Also it did make me laugh that he was able to find Gavin so easily, even after fleeing to another country, while Rachel completely eluded him. You'd have thought that if anyone would know how to disappear effectively it would be Gavin, but apparently not.

Still, I thought this was an excellent series and I absolutely can't wait for S4.
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the three series so far. However, if the next is about his manly wife taking over, I think I will pass.