Jon Stewart has quit the Daily Show !

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read Trevor's facebook post about the job and, unless i'm reading too much in to it, it certainly implies that the format of the show isn't going to change.
    No-one can replace Jon Stewart. But together with the amazing team at The Daily Show, we will continue to make this the best damn news show!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just read Trevor's facebook post about the job and, unless i'm reading too much in to it, it certainly implies that the format of the show isn't going to change.
    Does it?
  • Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was posted on twitter re who Comedy Central pursued that turned them down.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/582560069897756672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Does it?

As I said, i'm probably reading way to much in to it, but to say they will "continue to make the best damn news show" coupled with Jon's (obviously humourous) remarks that he "might rejoin as a correspondent" just comes across as nothing will change.

If they were going to re-launch the show or reboot it and let Trevor do his own thing, wouldn't they have wanted to mention an "all new" Daily Show or even something like "exciting changes" ?.
    This was posted on twitter re who Comedy Central pursued that turned them down.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/582560069897756672

Very interesting. Poehler would have been a great choice since she's already done Weekend Update on SNL.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    The show usually has a summer break so if they wanted a hiatus that would be the most obvious place to take it.

The Daily Show normally takes a 2 week summer hiatus in August, but I don’t know if that’s when they’ll make the change.

David Letterman retires from the Late Show in May, with Stephen Colbert taking over in September.
    I suspect Comedy Central won’t want Jon Stewart leaving and Trevor Noah joining to be overshadowed by that, so they may choose to do it later in the year.
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not happy about Trevor Noah taking over. The few times I've seen him he's never seemed very funny to me. Will his South African accent go down well with American viewers? I fear the Daily Show might die a slow death after Jon leaves now :(

I just hope that with Noah in charge the Daily Show doesn't become a sinking ship !
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder when Stewart will announce his final show and if there will a gap between his last show and Trevor's first. I expect the set will get a facelift so there might be a small hiatus, perhaps mid September for Stewart's final show with Trevor starting in October

Stewarts final show is in July.Noah will take over in september
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not happy about Trevor Noah taking over. The few times I've seen him he's never seemed very funny to me. Will his South African accent go down well with American viewers? I fear the Daily Show might die a slow death after Jon leaves now :(

I just hope that with Noah in charge the Daily Show doesn't become a sinking ship !
    It's hardly a strong accent. Many US states would have stronger accents than his.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noah may be in a bit of bother over some tweets he made in the past

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/questionable-tweets-daily-show-host-noah-draw-fire-162347547.html
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Noah may be in a bit of bother over some tweets he made in the past

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/questionable-tweets-daily-show-host-noah-draw-fire-162347547.html

I'm not a fan of the appointment but that article is a pile of crap.
    By Tuesday, Trevor Noah was a trending topic on Twitter as he drew fire for jokes described as tasteless, hateful — and unfunny.

Bullshit, he was trending because he'd just been named the new host of TDS!

Two of the super controversial tweets they put forward:
    In 2009 he wrote, "Almost bumped a Jewish kid crossing the road. He didn't look b4 crossing but I still would hav felt so bad in my german car!"
    When a fan tweeted him last fall with a request to come to Texas, Noah replied, "But you've already got Ebola?"

That is apparently him being anti semitic and then mocking people with Ebola! Are you ****ing kidding me!

How is the first tweet anti semitic? At worst it's a touch anti German but really it's just a ****ing joke.

And the second tweet is so clearly mocking the response of people in the West to believe everyone in Africa had Ebola you'd have to be an absolute moron to miss the point.

Then for good measure they have the standard rent a quote anti TDS conservative mouthing off. What a dumb article.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Then for good measure they have the standard rent a quote anti TDS conservative mouthing off. What a dumb article.

That's the main problem. When Noah starts as the presenter of TDS then Fox News and the like will bring up these tweets to try and wipe out any point he makes
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewarts final show is in July.Noah will take over in september
    He's touring the UK, I have tickets for September! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    He's touring the UK, I have tickets for September! :confused:

Yep, Trevor Noah is touring the UK in late September/early October, so I'm a bit sceptical of this supposed September start date on The Daily Show.
    As I've also said, Stephen Colbert takes over the Late Show in September so I'm not sure Comedy Central would want to be over shadowed by that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon confirms his final show as August the 6th

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a643064/jon-stewart-announces-daily-show-departure-date.html#~pav9PrWSGMdQfB

I guess if Noah is booked for a UK tour in September and October, the show will obviously go on hiatus until his schedule is clear.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Daily Show 'on hiatus' at the moment? It appears to have disappeared off both my Sky Plus planner and the Comedy Central Extra schedule. It's not been dropped permanently has it?
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed it had gone too. I checked on a couple of Murrcan sites and it definitely aired. Why has it gone from uk screens? If they are dropping it, surely they could have waited a month or two and done it when Jon leaves?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think i'd be massively surprised if Comedy Central did drop it. I've been "US Pace" since the decision to screen it after midnight so i haven't really noticed.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon confirms his final show as August the 6th

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a643064/jon-stewart-announces-daily-show-departure-date.html#~pav9PrWSGMdQfB

I guess if Noah is booked for a UK tour in September and October, the show will obviously go on hiatus until his schedule is clear.
    I can't figure if he is touring or not. No mention on his website, no tickets available except 8 I think for London, and on the date I'm going, a ballet is scheduled to appear, with no results in a search.
    I've had no notification from Ticketmaster as to it being cancelled.

He is still listed but no tickets available, so hopefully sold out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Daily Show 'on hiatus' at the moment? It appears to have disappeared off both my Sky Plus planner and the Comedy Central Extra schedule. It's not been dropped permanently has it?

Does anyone remember what time of year Comedy Central UK started airing it? It was more than likely on annual contracts, so if it was May then it’ likely a decision has been made not to continue with it.
    Which, if true, I agree is really annoying considering Jon Stewart only has a few more months remaining as host.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Does anyone remember what time of year Comedy Central UK started airing it? It was more than likely on annual contracts, so if it was May then it’ likely a decision has been made not to continue with it.
    Which, if true, I agree is really annoying considering Jon Stewart only has a few more months remaining as host.

It started on July the 23rd, 2012. So not quite the full year yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It started on July the 23rd, 2012. So not quite the full year yet.

Interesting. Seems odd that they’ve stopped broadcasting it now than. It appears that their contract expired 30/04/2015, but I can’t work out how that date was arrived at.
    I guess I’ll just have to watch Jon Stewarts final 3 months online. It’s a shame the programme has no presence on YouTube, I don’t like the Comedy Central US website.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://twitter.com/ComedyCentralUK/status/596325746840219648
    A short announcement about The Daily Show: http://funn.ie/T2gUQo
    THE DAILY SHOW: UPDATE

Comedy Central Extra will no longer broadcast The Daily Show. This is because Comedy Central Extra is currently moving away from talk shows and focusing on other genres of comedy.

AGH! :mad:

"Other genres of comedy"? What, like even more repeats of Friends?

It takes up a half-hour slot, at the very end of the day. Why pull it? :confused: :rolleyes:
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Sadly inevitable - as it got increasingly pushed further back it was obvious what was going to happen. Pretty much followed the same path as every other U.S. late night show has over here.

Can't really blame the channel though, they gave it a decent slot initially but if no one watches it then what are they expected to do? It's a sad indictment of UK viewers rather than the channels IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »

It takes up a half-hour slot, at the very end of the day. Why pull it? :confused: :rolleyes:

The compliance on a daily show is killer. They have only a day or so to ensure it complies with UK law, which isn't cheap. And The Daily Show is one show that has breached UK law before (nothing serious, but you can't use footage of the House of Commons for satire), so every episode needs to be checked very carefully.
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rammie96 wrote: »
    Sadly inevitable - as it got increasingly pushed further back it was obvious what was going to happen. Pretty much followed the same path as every other U.S. late night show has over here.

Can't really blame the channel though, they gave it a decent slot initially but if no one watches it then what are they expected to do? It's a sad indictment of UK viewers rather than the channels IMO.

I don't know if thats fully true. Sky Atlantic seem to be supporting John Oliver's Last Week Tonight and show it less that 24hrs after the HBO Broadcast - although I admit that having the show on once a week, being included with the HBO/Sky Exclusive contract and hosted by a Brit might make a bit of a difference.