Is Google on all tablets?

Amelia_ManonAmelia_Manon Posts: 851
Forum Member
✭✭
I want to buy a tablet but it seems that almost all of them here in Canada are Google-fied - in that they are all somehow hooked into Google.

I don't want anything to do with Google. That's why I'm asking.

I cannot afford to buy an iPad or iPad mini.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, every tablet will allow you to access Google.

Of those without Android, there's the Windows devices, which I think are Google-free, and you might still be able to pick up a Blackberry Playbook 2nd hand.

Until recently Apple products came with at least Google Maps and Youtube pre-installed, so you may find that some of the Windows and Blackberry ones have *something* related to Google on them. But I don't think they do.
  • Amelia_ManonAmelia_Manon Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I'm smiling because I didn't make myself very clear.
    Yes, of course, they'd all have access to Google, but my problem was in having to sign into Google and use GMail, which I find to be too intrusive.
    Many of the tablets over here seem to be tied into Google, one way or another and I just want a tablet that is free of Google's interfering ways.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't have to sign in to google or use gmail with any tablet, but it sounds like really you're better off avoiding Android tablets as you lose a lot of their benefit if you don't sign in to Google

That leaves Blackberry and Windows tablets. (and Apple which you've already discounted)

At a push, maybe the Kindle Fire series? runs Android but you sign up with Amazon instead. I *think* you can probably get away with having nothing to do with Google using it, whilst sitll having most of the benefits of having one of more popular types of tablet.

(though frankly, if the Amazon route appeals, you could just buy a Samsung tablet or one of the other popular types, don't add a Google account to it and just install Amazon software instead.)

It is a rather unusual request. Perhaps our other resident Google-phobe, noise747 can advise....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your help.
    I have been considering getting a Samsung when they go on sale.

I didn't know that there's a resident Google-phobe here... sounds like a good person to meet.
    :-)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Google's Android controls over 60% of the tablet market so you'll be hard pressed to find one without any Google links.

If you can't get an iPad, I guess the Blackberry Playbook or a Windows 8/RT tablet are other options.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you are in Canada, have a look at the Kobo Arc.

Similar to the Kindle Fire, in that it runs Android underneath but I believe that Kobo are ahead of Amazon in the Canadian market (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!).
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply. I'm smiling because I didn't make myself very clear.
    Yes, of course, they'd all have access to Google, but my problem was in having to sign into Google and use GMail, which I find to be too intrusive.
    Many of the tablets over here seem to be tied into Google, one way or another and I just want a tablet that is free of Google's interfering ways.

You don't have to use gmail, just set up an account but don't use it.

You can avoid using most Google apps if you want to and in Android you can disable the built in apps if you want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your replies.

I've never heard of Kobo Arc before and will check it out.