How many remasters can we expect on this generation?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I heard The Last of Us was only remastered as it was related towards the end of last generation. Sony seem a bit reluctant on the remaststers thing as it probably halts new game progress. I reckon most decent titles should be remastered or simply rereleased since there's no backword support though.

Resident Evil 1 is a start they should go right up to RES 6 though.

Comments

• Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully no more. Devs should be working on new stuff and not reworking games for the sake of it. Recent remasters like TLOU or GTAV didn't require much work as they were pushing the old systems capabilities and looked very good afterward.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    There's three remasters that I'd really like, but then yeah, enough.

Really wish Activision would do something like the Masterchief collection for CoD. Perhaps a modern warfare collection.

Also, Mass Effect - not a massive amount of work required, just updated textures, which Bioware already have.

Final Fantasy - we've already had FFX fully remastered - I'd love similar remasters of VII-IX.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    There's three remasters that I'd really like, but then yeah, enough.

Really wish Activision would do something like the Masterchief collection for CoD. Perhaps a modern warfare collection.

Also, Mass Effect - not a massive amount of work required, just updated textures, which Bioware already have.

Final Fantasy - we've already had FFX fully remastered - I'd love similar remasters of VII-IX.

Would love Mass Effect trilogy. And it should happen based on the neogaf stuff!

I would love it coz I had to sell my 360 (and games) to afford a PS4...so would love to own them again
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    As long as people keep buying them. The theory is that last generation was so chaotic, that many people missed out on loads of 'gems'! With spiraling development costs this gen, publishers hope to make up for profit expectations of the previous gen.

Personally, I think remasters like Dmc and 'classics' such as RE 6 and Remember Me is like flogging a dead horse! :)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What have we had so far this gen?

Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, The Last of Us, Halo 1-4, GTA V, Diablo III... anything else?

What I really want, more than anything else, is the Mass Effect trilogy. With Halo 1-4 now on Xbox One courtesy of the Master Chief Collection, Mass Effect is the only reason I still have my Xbox 360.
    Forum Member
    I'd be amazed if we don't get Mass Effect.

Great way to re-ignite interest ahead of the next game, which is still over 12 months away.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Devs should be working on new stuff and not reworking games for the sake of it.
    In most cases they bring in a separate team to work on the remasters so they don't affect any new project's the main dev team are working on.

I think in some cases remasters make sense & in others they don't.

I think The last of us made sense as it was/is considered by many to be the defining game of the last generation & there were many new PS4 owners who were coming over from the 360 last-gen who had maybe never played it.
    I think a remastered Uncharted collection would make sense for the same reason, Give people who own a PS4 but didn't have a PS3 the chance to play through the series before Uncharted 4 hits.

Tomb Raider made less sense as it was Multi-platform & while considered a good game was not really on the level & I don't believe it sold brilliantly the 1st time round.

I think what I don't really mind is HD versions of older titles from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. There were some great games in that era & while true many have played them already, There are many younger gamers who likely haven't & these HD collections give them a chance to play some of those games.
    And even many who did play them at the time enjoy been able to re-play them in HD/widescreen with trophy's/achievement's.
  • martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Some titles are simply worth having re-mastered, I have halo on xbone, had last of us on ps4 (completed and sold) gta 5 on ps4, tomb raider on ps4, Metro Redux (missed them both from last gen) I loved the Tomb Raider remake so much on my old 360 I simply had to have it on ps4.

It's a matter of opinion what titles you think should/shouldn't be re-made for next gen, I'm not fussed about sleeping dogs (it's a very good game but just cant see myself bothered enough to play it again) but then if you missed it first time it's worth having at the right price.

I think overall it's worth having the choice of next gen re-makes for those that either missed the game first time around or think the game is so good it's worth it's next gen purchase,

It won't happen but I'd love to see next gen Fallout 3 & New Vegas + Oblivion & Skyrim. Oh and Sniper Elite v2 :D

I also love mass effect games but can't see myself playing through them again.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want remaster of the games I liked and hope developers wont waste their time remaster games I didn't like :p:D:D
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Bioshock collection would be nice.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me too would love the bioshock games remastered.

im pretty sure mass effect remastered will be out before the new mass effect game. there a reason they never included the dlc in the trilogy boxset so they could get us to buy remastered complete versions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Side thought:

The first ever remastered game I had was actually Super Mario All Stars for the SNES :D
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be interested in Mass Effect as long as they dump that appaling moon buggy rubbish. Wrecked the first game.
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Could be interested in Mass Effect as long as they dump that appaling moon buggy rubbish. Wrecked the first game.

:D

You know it's back in the next game right? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh. The Mako :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know it's back in the next game right? ;)

Oh well. Cancelled pre order.
    Forum Member

Apparently it will handle differently in the next game than it did in ME1.

I hated it, so hopefully this is a change for the better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently it will handle differently in the next game than it did in ME1.

I hated it, so hopefully this is a change for the better!

It put me off so much it stopped me playing the first one.
    Forum Member
    It certainly made certain parts of the original game a chore I'll grant you. Supposedly this time it'll be more fun than a chore. We'll see. Pretty sure if you asked people what their least favourite part of ME1 was, a good 90% of people would probably say the Mako. There's a reason they trashed it for ME2! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    hopefully the remaster culture will only last for the first year or two to cover dev time for new games and I.P's

its nice to play some games again with improved visuals but theres got to be a line to be drawn somewhere in releasing games that weren't overly popular the first time round.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

One of the bigwigs at Bioware went on a forum and asked fans for a wishlist of what they'd like on a Mass Effect trilogy (without actually confirming they were making it) and in it he confirmed that they would not alter the actual game plays. Just make it proper HD, 60 fps etc. Also 1 seamless experience - when you finish the first game, the second just automatically loads.

Whilst it wasn't confirmed, the fact he was asking us what we'd like....would suggest it's a pretty sure thing!
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I said no more but a seamless ME experience would be very good.
    RE: The Mako - First playthrough explored every planet possible. Subsequent playthroughs I only did the necessary planetside missions.

Now a possible Borderlands remaster on the cards?

I feel my resolve weakening.:blush:
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borderlands 2 and erm the Pre-Sequel are being 'remastered'.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borderlands 2 and erm the Pre-Sequel are being 'remastered'.
    Just seen it on Eurogamer. I like that remote controlled Claptrap but it's $400 (!!!) and only 500 have been made so it's probably US only.

I got Borderlands 2 with PS+ over a year ago and I still haven't played it.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,192
    Forum Member
    I hope Nintendo start remastering more of their Gamcube and Wii titles, such as the Super Mario's, Super Smash Bros, F-Zero GX, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda's, ect.

And i hope by some miracle that they let Microsoft release the GoldenEye remaster Rare was working on (apparently it was finished but Nintendo pulled the plug at the last minute)