Options

Jon Stewart has quit the Daily Show !

iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jon Stewart has quit the Daily Show after 15 years http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31396423 :(

Where am I going to get a common sense take on American politics from now on? :cry:

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This ****ing sucks.

Unless they can get Oliver back I can't see how anyone could replace Jon. The 2016 election won't be the same without him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    This ****ing sucks.

Unless they can get Oliver back I can't see how anyone could replace Jon. The 2016 election won't be the same without him.

I suppose John Oliver will be favourite to succeed him..unless Colbert can be persuaded to come back? I guess he's under contract to NBC though
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only John Oliver had stayed with the Daily Show just that little while longer he'da had the pick of a show in the Colbert time slot or taking over the Daily Show. Apart from John Oliver there is no-one else in the Daily Show team I can picture as a host. Maybe they'll bring in a new guy/gal.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose John Oliver will be favourite to succeed him..unless Colbert can be persuaded to come back? I guess he's under contract to NBC though
    John Oliver is under contract at HBO (where his own show is highly successful and I'd doubt he'd want to leave it) and Stephen Colbert is under contract at CBS (where his show hasn't even begun yet and may not have started when Stewart departs The Daily Show).

I suspect just as pressing as the question of who will replace Jon Stewart will be what he does next. Perhaps a full time move to writing and director although Rosewater didn't do phenomenally well...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    John Oliver is under contract at HBO (where his own show is highly successful and I'd doubt he'd want to leave it) and Stephen Colbert is under contract at CBS (where his show hasn't even begun yet and may not have started when Stewart departs The Daily Show).

I suspect just as pressing as the question of who will replace Jon Stewart will be what he does next. Perhaps a full time move to writing and director although Rosewater didn't do phenomenally well...

I thought Rosewater had good reviews by the critics

PS does anyone happen to know when we'll be able to see Rosewater in the UK on DVD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Rosewater had good reviews by the critics

PS does anyone happen to know when we'll be able to see Rosewater in the UK on DVD?
    It got solid but not especially spectacular reviews and was quieter than had been expected at the box office. It certainly wasn't a disaster or anything. And from memory I think Rosewater was scheduled for release in March in the UK.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting who will replace Jon Stewart, my guess it'll be one of the correspondents. I'd love to see Samantha Bee get it or perhaps have Jason Jones and Samantha Bee co-host it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect they make look outside of the current correspondents to take over the show (if the replacement has to come from the correspondents then I'd probably lean toward Jessica Williams). Although I admit no immediate names spring to mind not that Jon Stewart was the obvious choice to take over the show back in '99.

EDIT - Having said that a good outside shout might come in the form of @Midnight's Chris Hardwick although that would involve getting him to scale back (if not stop) his work for Nerdist. Or there's always Brian Williams. Looks increasingly like he'll be in the market for a new job soon.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It got solid but not especially spectacular reviews and was quieter than had been expected at the box office. It certainly wasn't a disaster or anything. And from memory I think Rosewater was scheduled for release in March in the UK.

Rosewater is opening May 8th in the UK, though it's also on at the Glasgow film fest on 22nd & 23rd February.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect they make look outside of the current correspondents to take over the show (if the replacement has to come from the correspondents then I'd probably lean toward Jessica Williams). Although I admit no immediate names spring to mind not that Jon Stewart was the obvious choice to take over the show back in '99.

Jessica Williams is very good but she's only 25, I would think Comedy Central would want a host in their 30s or 40s. Looking outside of the Daily Show, maybe Cecily Strong although I don't know if she would want to quit SNL but she was always good when she did Weekend Update.
    EDIT - Having said that a good outside shout might come in the form of @Midnight's Chris Hardwick although that would involve getting him to scale back (if not stop) his work for Nerdist. Or there's always Brian Williams. Looks increasingly like he'll be in the market for a new job soon.

Chris Hardwick would stick out like a sore thumb since he's not into politics or news plus it would mean giving up Nerdist and also Talking Dead. I'm not sure Comedy Central would want Brian Williams either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Strong's run on Weekend Update was received warmly enough (through no fault of her own) for her to be on the list.

Has anyone suggested Tina Fey and/or Amy Poehler yet? Pretty sure they have to be suggested to host any and all things now. And to be fair I'd definitely watch that show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Strong's run on Weekend Update was received warmly enough (through no fault of her own) for her to be on the list.

Has anyone suggested Tina Fey and/or Amy Poehler yet? Pretty sure they have to be suggested to host any and all things now. And to be fair I'd definitely watch that show.

I imagine neither would want to commit to doing a four day a week show especially as both have film careers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Chris Hardwick would stick out like a sore thumb since he's not into politics or news...
    That might not be a bad thing.

I think having a new host come in and just do what Jon Stewart does is probably a mistake. A new host should probably look to put their own stamp on things and do the show at least slightly differently. Stewart certainly did when he took over.

Of course I notice Bassem Youssef just made an appearance on The Daily Show. He could very well be the most obvious not so obvious choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Stewart's contract expires in September so I guess Comedy Central will announce the new host in the next few months perhaps as early as March. I imagine they'll be a gap between the final Stewart Daily Show and whoever takes over in order to maybe change the set so I'd say the new Daily Show will debut in October or November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that Stewart's departure from The Daily Show means he and Stephen Colbert won't have to compete for viewers when Colbert takes over the Late Show on CBS the second week of September.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that Stewart's departure from The Daily Show means he and Stephen Colbert won't have to compete for viewers when Colbert takes over the Late Show on CBS the second week of September.

The Daily Show is on half an hour before The Late Show but I would imagine Stewart won't want to debut his final week on the same week Colbert starts The Late Show.
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really sad news. I don' think there's anyone out there that is good enough to replace Jon. Samantha Bee & Jason Jones replaced him for one episode a few months back and did an adequate performance, but they could not hold a candle to Jon. Jessica Williams is ok, but too young, therefore by default, lacks gravitas. The other correspondent - the tall guy, (forgotten his name) - is very good & one day could be as good as Jon. Like what other posters have said you need an Tina Fey, Amy Pohler, John Oliver or Colbert - someone with credibility & we're not going to get them.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love John Oliver to get this but his own show is probably too successful tbh :blush:

I'm terribly sad to see Jon go, would have thought he would have hung around for the next US Presidential election tbh :(
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly a shame, but nothing lasts forever. I think a new host would have to take the show in a slightly different direction, putting their own mark on it. I don't really see any of the current correspondents as having what it takes to host, but maybe I'm wrong. Could they move Larry Wilmore to Stewart's timeslot?

Thank goodness for John Oliver's show, which seems to be going from strength to strength, even if it's not doing quite the same thing.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, bloody hell. Rotten news.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Terry.R wrote: »
    That's really sad news. I don' think there's anyone out there that is good enough to replace Jon. Samantha Bee & Jason Jones replaced him for one episode a few months back and did an adequate performance, but they could not hold a candle to Jon. Jessica Williams is ok, but too young, therefore by default, lacks gravitas. The other correspondent - the tall guy, (forgotten his name) - is very good & one day could be as good as Jon. Like what other posters have said you need an Tina Fey, Amy Pohler, John Oliver or Colbert - someone with credibility & we're not going to get them.

Do you mean the new(ish) guy Jordan Klepper??

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/04/jordan-klepper-daily-show-correspondent
  • Options
    Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig Ferguson left his show and is at "loose ends" these days. He could be a credible host of The Daily Show, for at least the time being.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don’t normally quote Piers Morgan but I agree with his comment on twitter: "Jon Stewart quitting? Good timing. He was beginning to be eclipsed by John Oliver. This way, he can leave on a high."
    I still enjoy The Daily Show, but ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ is far superior these days.

As for the new host, I honestly have no idea either. John Oliver or Stephen Colbert were the obvious choices, and neither of them could take the job now, nor do I think they would want to. Of the existing correspondents, my money would be on Jason Jones and Samantha Bee. Outside of the show but sticking with Comedy Central, maybe Chris Hardwick (although I appreciate comments that he’s not political – but neither particularly was Jon Stewart in his MTV days). Going completely outside the box... Charlie Brooker?

I can think of one winner from all of this though – Conan O’Brian. His 11pm TBS talk show is losing its completion all over the place!. First Chelsea Handler quits her E! talkshow and now Jon Stewart quits The Daily Show, both were direct competition in the 11pm slot!
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig Ferguson left his show and is at "loose ends" these days. He could be a credible host of The Daily Show, for at least the time being.

Good shout, Craig Ferguson is certainly a possibility.
    Although rumour has it that he has a 7pm syndicated talk show in the works with Tribune Entertainment for sometime next year.
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

That's the guy, thanks Verence.:)

Last week they showed the Florida Democrat guy slapping down the Texas Republican guy during the debate to repeal President Obama's Affordable Care Act. That was so funny.

The "loony right" will be sleeping easier in their beds.>:(

No more Mitch McConnell, McCain or Chris Christie jokes.>:(