Home Hub 5 Offer?

battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just got off the phone after enquiring about a HH5. Initially I tried to order one on line as an upgrade and the system quoted the usual price plus postage. Fine I thought. But I gave BT a call anyway as I wanted to add the cost to my bill coz the website didn't allow that.

The very nice chap went through my order and then said if I accept a 12 month contract I could have the HH5 for free just paying the postage which would be added to my bill. The 12 month extension didn't matter as I still had about the same remaining on my contract. My BB costs also came down as I downgraded my calling plan. We never use the landline anyway.

All in all, a result! Just thought I'd share this.

Comments

• neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    battlezone wrote: »
    I've just got off the phone after enquiring about a HH5. Initially I tried to order one on line as an upgrade and the system quoted the usual price plus postage. Fine I thought. But I gave BT a call anyway as I wanted to add the cost to my bill coz the website didn't allow that.

The very nice chap went through my order and then said if I accept a 12 month contract I could have the HH5 for free just paying the postage which would be added to my bill. The 12 month extension didn't matter as I still had about the same remaining on my contract. My BB costs also came down as I downgraded my calling plan. We never use the landline anyway.

All in all, a result! Just thought I'd share this.

I have also been thinking of getting the Home Hub 5 offer and would also like to add the cost to my bill. Im halfway though a new 18 months contract for Infinity 2 plus evening and weekend call. Im also just under 4 months into a new BT TV package as I upgraded my BT TV packages just under 4 months ago.

Darren
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy with my HH4 still been with BT about 7 months and only had downtime once in this time which was the other day.
    So still got about 15 months left.
    Don't know if I will stay with them after but its been better than Sky BB.
    I cannot have FTTC but hopefully it might be here by then I might go with plus net after if its still good.
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I have also been thinking of getting the Home Hub 5 offer and would also like to add the cost to my bill. Im halfway though a new 18 months contract for Infinity 2 plus evening and weekend call. Im also just under 4 months into a new BT TV package as I upgraded my BT TV packages just under 4 months ago.

Darren

I've been with BT since before the internet was born! Started with dial up then moved on, eventually with FTTC almost two years ago. I've never had any real issues with BT in all this time. Obviously things can go wrong, but things can go wrong with anything. I've gone with the HH5 because I can get rid of the openreach box and also a couple of my gadgets can use the 5GHz channel. The offer of a free HH was an extra as I was happy to pay the £45 anyway.

Happy days!
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It amazes me how fast these things change as the last time I looked I was being offered the HH4 for £35 + P&P and the HH5 was quite a lot more.
    Had a 'Thanks for Being a Customer' email this morning about saving some money if I renew my contract so gave them a ring.
    A new 12 month contract, free HH5 (no P&P), free caller display and a reduction of £4 off my monthly bill. Also I free up and save slightly on using that extra plug socket as the HH5 don't need the openreach modem.
    I'm pretty happy with that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After installing the HH5 I found that my 8 year old laptop supported 5GHz WiFi! Now getting download speeds in excess of 45Mb compared with around 20Mb before.

Very pleased!
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I also got the HH5 free as we'll if I renewed my contract which I happily did. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know how to get the cost of the HH5 offer added to the BT bill.
    The offer ends on Friday and im away to a friends wedding this weekend so will need to try and order it before Friday. If they do put me on a new Infinity 2 contract hope I will be able to keep me on the £2.50 a month discount that im getting the now or give me a better offer.
    I have been mostly happy with the HH3 that I have had for over 3 years now.

Darren
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just received a hh5 from ebay for £50, new/sealed. Just switched over the cables and it works straight away. Just did a steam download as a test, wireless to my laptop, and was downloading at 8.5 MB/S. Don't think I got over 6 on the hh3. I have my pc in bedroom connected via homeplug, will need to test that next. Plus test my laptop in my bedroom, hit and miss with the signal, dependant on which side of my bed I lye on. It is about a 3rd bigger than hh3 though.
    Forum Member
    The offer ends on Friday and im away to a friends wedding this weekend so will need to try and order it before Friday. If they do put me on a new Infinity 2 contract hope I will be able to keep me on the £2.50 a month discount that im getting the now or give me a better offer.
    I have been mostly happy with the HH3 that I have had for over 3 years now.

Darren

Give them a call. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35097/~/how-can-i-get-a-new-bt-home-hub%3F
    2. Renew your with a "free Hub" deal
    All BT Infinity customers can recontract to get a Hub 5 at any point of their existing contract if they sign up to Unlimited Infinity 1 or Unlimited Infinity 2. This will be a new 18-month contract, but if you've got any discounts, you can keep those.
    Additionally, BT Infinity customers who are either out of contract or in the last three months of their contract can recontract on any BT Infinity product on a 12-month contract to get a Hub 5.
    Broadband customers who are either out of contract or in the last three months of their contract can recontract on any BT broadband product on a 12-month contract to get a Hub 4.
    Please note: there is a £6.95 delivery charge when taking a free Hub deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Darren

See my original post that started this thread...
    Forum Member
    Just set up my HH5 and Wow what a difference in speed test results on my iPhone.
    HH3 38.40mbps down 17.43mbps up.
    HH5 63.04mbps down 18.42mbps up.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the difference between hh4 and 5. I have 4..
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    What's the difference between hh4 and 5. I have 4..
    HH5 has a built-in VDSL modem (as well as ADSL) so it is good for Infinity as well as normal broadband (but you would get one anyway with an Infinity upgrade!)

HH5 does 802.11ac WiFi which is super fast (but relies on the other end either also being 802.11ac or having an adapter)

It is also dual-band (2.4 and 5GHz) - but I think the HH4 is as well!
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah 4 is dual band. I only have adsl so will wait till I decide to plump for fibre. Thanks
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Yeah 4 is dual band. I only have adsl so will wait till I decide to plump for fibre. Thanks

When you plump for fibre you will be given one free as part of the upgrade, meaining you could flog the HH4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies GONZO and battlezone.
    battlezone what was the phone number you phoned to get the HH5 offer added to your BT bill.
    Im about 10 or 11 months in to a new 18 months Infinity 2 plus evening and weekend calls contract with £2.50 off a month. Im also just under 4 months in to a 12 months upgraded BT TV contract.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was the phone number you phoned to get the HH5 offer added to your BT bill.

Darren

I went to My BT and found the number there. I can't remember it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    battlezone wrote: »
    I went to My BT and found the number there. I can't remember it.

I will have a look on My BT later the night to see and I may order one when I get home from work timorrow. If they will let me add the offer to my BT bill.

Darren
    Forum Member
    I've gone back to using the HH3, all the HH5 has done today is reset itself and the claim there's no internet connection which is even more annoying when your I the middle of streaming something.
    It looks like a phone call to BT is in order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I've gone back to using the HH3, all the HH5 has done today is reset itself and the claim there's no internet connection which is even more annoying when your I the middle of streaming something.
    It looks like a phone call to BT is in order.

Not good. I also use BT Youview TV services with my home Hub 3 and was thinking of ordering the 5.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only had the HH5 for a couple of weeks. It's conked out twice. I'm putting that down to the settling in period. Still impressed with it though.
  • mach2001mach2001 Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    If I get the HH5 can I do away with the other white box that goes along side the HH4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mach2001 wrote: »
    If I get the HH5 can I do away with the other white box that goes along side the HH4?

Yes you can.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Unless you have a specific need for HH5 because your wifi speeds are slow (and it's not your computer) or your HH3 is failing and the extra features are likely to solve your problem, I wouldn't get one not even if it's free.

From what I've read, and from two Openreach engineers who have tried them, there's a fair chance that you'll end up going back to your (say) HH3 + modem again after using a HH5 for a while.

The moral is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Mine isn't, so I won't.