I found some war time love letters in a clearance shop,advice please?

Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Great news and lovely to know that Astrid is alive and well. :)
  • lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's great news Smiling-Angel! :D This is one the best topics I've seen on DS for a long time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a cracking thread, and how nice for Astrid to receive these letters after all this time. Its so nice to see a thread like this, when the media tells us that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. A big thumbs up to you all for following this through :)
  • liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only echo what other FMs have said. What a wonderful heartwarming thread this is. Well done Smiling-Angel and well done all the FMs detectives. :)
  • Smiling-AngelSmiling-Angel Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for your beautifull comments,I guess it is a lovely thread isnt it.

It certainly looks like a happy ending and I think Astrid will love recieving them especially as she was so devoted to her dad.

Im gonna go off line(ironing,washing,everything I didnt do yesterday) but as soon as I talk to this other lady then I,ll get straight back to you all.

WELL DONE EVERYBODY!!!
  • 'Oaks Addict'Oaks Addict Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Smiling Angel. And to all other FM's - you've all done excellent work.

Kinda freaks me out though that someone can be located so easily on the internet...but I suppose there was a lot of information to go on:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, just read this thread from start to finish!

What an incredibly amazing story.... and a few tears shed here too!!

Can't wait to find out what happens next, and what a brilliant bunch you DS'ers are, just brilliant. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry::cry: Oh I've only just managed to log on and catch up. Well done Smiling Angel and everyone else. I cant believe just how quickly you've got Mission Accomplished.

Is it wrong that while I've tears in my eyes I've got a warm glow inside? Truly one of DS's best threads ever. :)
  • 'Oaks Addict'Oaks Addict Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually only ever post in the showbiz/soaps forum. So to come in to this thread is a breath of fresh air. The language, bullying and personal attacks over there are digusting.

And the love/caring in this thread is lovely.:)
  • petra12petra12 Posts: 1,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its been an absolute joy to read this thread ,very heartwarming :)
    Congratulations to everyone who contributed to the finding of Astrid

Smiling-Angel , i think you are brilliant !
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, just wow. In tears here. What a beautiful story, the love story from way back then, learning about these wonderful people and the love they had for each other and now finding their most private letters which will find their way back to their cherished daughter.

Well done and thanks to Smiling Angel for caring for the letters and sharing this with us and to everyone that helped trace Astrid.

Awwww... :cry::)
  • steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this thread last night after a hard day at work it cheered me up like no story has in a long long time.

Smiling-Angel (and ALL who helped), what a wonderful thing you are doing, you are our LOCAL HERO!!!

RIP Milly and Harry, it seems that in death you have brought the love out in so many people as you did in life.

"Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a lovely story, and thread!

I wish I could read a few of those letters! I imagine it would give people hope and cheer the reader up.

Well done to Smiling Angel - I think I would've done the same as you. I would LOVE to know what happens next!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    So when is the film coming out ;-)
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would make a great film wouldn't it.

Smiling Angel, I hope you somehow get to meet Astrid, maybe travel to Liverpool to hand over the letters, that would bring such a lovely ending to the story. We could have photos too.

I hope a kind newspaper, maybe the Liverpool one that did the wonderful obituary for Harry would be interested in the running the story with Astrid's and your permission? Such a great story that we've all enjoyed so much here, it's a shame not to share it with others too.

(I've Tweeted the link to this thread to share it with other already, hope you don't mind, tempted to email it to my mother too, she'd love it.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, what an amazing thread, well done to everyone that has found out such accurate info so quickly. Truly amazing and now I need a tissue as I can't see my screen for tears!.

OP, hope you manage to get the letters to Astrid ok, how exciting!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only just managed to get back on here since yesterday - what a roller-coaster of a story since its beginning, I've been in floods.

Well done everyone, so happy that we'll get the happy ending this tale deserves.:)
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Smiling-Angel and all the detectives who have helped on this thread - what a lovely story. :)

I'm looking forward to finding out whether you'll be able to hand the letters over to Astrid personally, S-A - can we all come along too? :D
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great thread.

Well done Smiling Angel.:D:D
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow, what great news that Astrid is alive! It's obvious that she'll be delighted with the letters. What a great story. I hope you do go and hand them over in person - how awesome would that be! And then maybe you could see photos of Harry and Milly too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRILLIANT news, I do hope you're able to give the letters to Astrid in person, that would be the perfect ending.

(It's a good job I have a cold and so have tissues on my desk already...)
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Oh wow, what great news that Astrid is alive! It's obvious that she'll be delighted with the letters. What a great story. I hope you do go and hand them over in person - how awesome would that be! And then maybe you could see photos of Harry and Milly too!

I've been trying to find photos online but no luck so far. Also had a nose to see if I could find the hall they met in, but the only info seems to be on the Church being rebuilt, and not on the original site.

I'm sure the family have their own photographs to look back on though, so as Elanor says, you may get to see a picture of them both.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow, I don't always have time to check out all the forums and followed the link from twitter. I'm glad I did, what an absolutely lovely story! Thanks for posting Smiling Angel :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of the most moving threads I've ever read on DS :cry:

Smiling Angel, what a lovely lady you are, you and all your DS detectives have made my day today with this story :)
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Amazing.

This time yesterday they were just some letters found in a bric -a brac shop.

Over the past 24 hours it seems the love this couple shared in life has continued to inspire people even though they have now gone.

Just goes to show that love and good thoughts can achieve more than anything lese.

Well done OP!

I can't imagine how moving, and comforting, it will be for Astrid to recive those letters.