Options

Christmas Movies.....

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being someone who loves Christmas and gets excited about it in August every year, I have a few Christmas rituals. One of them is Christmas Tree Night - where I put up my tree, crack open the first bottle of Sloe Gin and settle in with a mince pie or two and watch "It's A Wonderful Life", followed by "Scrooge" (the musical version with Albert Finney and Alec Guinesss) and "Elf"

Also worthy of a mention is White Christmas - another Christmas faveourite!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    It's a wonderful life (black and white version)
    Nightmare before Christmas
    Gremlins
    Muppet christmas carol :)
  • Options
    jakob1978jakob1978 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I love the book A Christmas Carol, and so love seeing all the different versions...faves are The Alistair Sim version, the Patrick Stewart one and of course the Muppet Xmas Carol

Also

Holiday Inn
    Meet Me In St Louis (not completely an xmas film, but i always count it for the ending)
    Love Actually
    It's a Wonderful Life
    The Snowman
    Yogi's First Christmas

And a one which you can't get on DVD I don't think, but Muppet Family Christmas (the Muppets, Sesame STreet and the Fraggles from Fraggle Rock all together at a cabin at christmas...lots of songs and jokes)
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that we're well into autumn I see the shops have started to stock the odd Christmas item (which is a disgrace) but it did get me thinking about Christmas movies again.

What Christmas films stick out for you?

For me it's:

Scrooged - Just perfect. Bill Murray at his best with New York as the backdrop for an adaptation of A Christmas Carol. Whoever came up with that idea is a genius.

Die Hard (1 and 2) - Winter. Christmas. Atmosphere. And Bruce Willis kicking ass and taking names. Brilliant.

Home Alone 1 and 2 - Both of these capture what it's like to be a kid at Christmas just beautifully.

Bad Santa - One of the best and most underrated comedies of the last 10 years.

A Muppet Christmas Carol - Inspired stuff from start to finish.

Your list is the list that Christmas lists are made off!
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my daughter always watches the same films every christmas..
    home alone
    the santa clause
    jingle all the way
    jack frost
    the snowman
    and then any christmassy 'made for tv' films they put on movies 24 channel
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's A Wonderful Life
    A Christmas Carol (1984 version with George C Scott)
    Bridget Jones Diary (turkey curry buffet!)
    The Grinch
    Home Alone 3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nativity with Martin Freeman is a great feelgood Christmas film. Has anyone seen it? It was out about 2 years back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I can't get over that nobody has mentioned Mrs Santa Claus:eek::( To me that film captures the true meaning of Christmas in every way. Always watch this on crimbo eve.

Not to mention the fact that Angela Lansbury is just brilliant in it.:D

Other films include Home Alone 2.....always seems more christmassy to me than the first one. Though i think that could have something to do with the pigeon lady.

Miracle on 34th Street, Nightmare Before Christmas.

Finally Black Christmas & Black Xmas. I always watch the original and the remake after i put up my christmas tree.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    It's A Wonderful Life
    A Christmas Carol (1984 version with George C Scott)
    Bridget Jones Diary (turkey curry buffet!)
    The Grinch
    Home Alone 3

How on earth did I forget this one?!

I only watched it properly for the first time last year but I liked it.

Taylor Momsen looks so unbelievably different now (I know she was about 9 when she filmed this, but still).
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Aww I wish it was December now.

MUST. AVOID. THIS. THREAD!

:D
  • Options
    xxstephiebabixxxxstephiebabixx Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my all time fav christmas movie is home alone .. its a film i can watch any time of year (did you know u can buy the actual house! .. for a few million.lol)

i also like home alone 2
    christmas vacation
    deck the halls
    christmas with the kranks.

i have heard very good reviews for a movie 'this christmas' but have yet to get it on dvd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the rani wrote: »
    I can't get over that nobody has mentioned Mrs Santa Claus:eek::( To me that film captures the true meaning of Christmas in every way. Always watch this on crimbo eve.

Not to mention the fact that Angela Lansbury is just brilliant in it.:D

Other films include Home Alone 2.....always seems more christmassy to me than the first one. Though i think that could have something to do with the pigeon lady.

Miracle on 34th Street, Nightmare Before Christmas.

Finally Black Christmas & Black Xmas. I always watch the original and the remake after i put up my christmas tree.

its the toy store that does it for me :)
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful : Deck the Halls, Surviving Christmas, The Grinch, Christmas with the Kranks, Jingle All The Way, Fred Claus, The Santa Claus 3, Jack Frost.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that these are Christmas movies and people appreciate the nostalgia, no one would watch them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Awful : Deck the Halls, Surviving Christmas, The Grinch, Christmas with the Kranks, Jingle All The Way, Fred Claus, The Santa Claus 3, Jack Frost.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that these are Christmas movies and people appreciate the nostalgia, no one would watch them.

well it is a christmas thread hence why they have been mentioned :D

i love jim carrey as the grinch but i find the 'who' people boring so kind of ruins the film a bit :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always watch "National Lampoons' Christmas Vacation" on Christmas Day ! :D
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i love jim carrey as the grinch but i find the 'who' people boring so kind of ruins the film a bit :rolleyes:

To paraphrase Charlie Brooker :
    " Someone should tell Jim Carrey he's not six years old anymore ! Just stop it ! "
    :D
  • Options
    originalboboriginalbob Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Terry Pratchetts 'Hogfather'.OK, I know it was made for TV but....
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I get that, but there's a plenty of GREAT Christmas films that are great on their own merit, not just because they happen to be set at Christmas. It's A Wonderful Life, for example, gives the audience a reason to watch beyond "it's Christmas, it's tradition".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Oh I love Christmas, definately on my to watch list are -

Die Hard
    National Lampoons
    Scrooged (Bill Murray is a legend)
    Holiday Inn
    Its a Wonderful Life

and very strangely Calamity Jane :o It reminds me of being all wrapped up in front of the fire just after school finished up for the Christmas holidays. 20 odd years later and still remember how good it felt! Presents were better back then mind you :p
  • Options
    LpfsoxLpfsox Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    My Christmas movie list is a selection of the following:
    • Trading Places
    • Muppet Christmas Carol
    • It's a Wonderful Life
    • White Christmas
    • The Flint Street Nativity (ok, it was a TV movie but it's still brilliant)
    • Some Like it Hot - just because it's my all time favourite
    • Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory

I'm sure I'll think of loads more though...
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Christmas Gift ...very sentimental !

Charlie brown at Christmas !

and Christmas Vacation ! ..Christmas would not be the same without seeing this every Christmas Eve/Day !
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not set at Xmas, but 'The Wizard Of Oz' will always feel like an Xmas movie to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I always watch "National Lampoons' Christmas Vacation" on Christmas Day ! :D

yeah, chevvy chase is funny :D
  • Options
    Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Apparently there is a National Lampoons Christmas Vacation 2. Never seen it, but all I know is Chevy Chase isn't in it. Its on Sky every xmas apparently, I might have to get the movie channels just to see it.