Options

Opinions of Mrs. Brown's Boys?

Comments

• Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find it funny at all, but I'm more or less the only person on my Facebook who doesn't love it. Although, these are also people who find Celebrity Juice funny.

I love it and and i can't stand celebrity juice or keith lemon!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's old fashioned, dated and unoriginal but unashamedly so.....Brendan O'Carroll freely admits he draws his inspiration from 1970s sitcoms.

As the lead character, he is excellent : superb timing and he seems to be able to improvise at ease.
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like Dumbed-Down comedy for elderly viewers who seldom stray from ITV1
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wur86 wrote: »
    No offence to you, but how many other comedy series peak at around 8,000,000 viewers?

Love Thy Neighbour had 16 million.

The Nazi party had 8.5 million members. Argument from numbers only proves how stupid people are.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    446.09375 wrote: »
    Seems like Dumbed-Down comedy for elderly viewers who seldom stray from ITV1

8m viewers an episode would suggest it's being watched by all age groups.

I wouldn't say it was "dumbed down" as such.....just good old fashioned and simple 1970s sitcom type humour (it's because it's not even attempting to be sophisticated or clever that it might attract that label).
  • Options
    wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »

The Nazi party had 8.5 million members. Argument from numbers only proves how stupid people are.

How much choice of channels was there back then?
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly, at least they had an excuse.

Even now I would rather stick pins in my eyes than this show.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member

Even now I would rather stick pins in my eyes than this show.

Now that would be stupid! :rolleyes:

To the OP, humour is subjective, as this thread shows.
    Watch the Youtube clip and decide for yourself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's subjective - watch an episode on YouTube and judge for yourself. Yes, it got about 8 million views at Christmas, but people do say it's old-fashioned. However, people who says this are often considered comedy snobs, which is proven by TV awards who often snub MBB. When it did finally get nominated, it won.

It's marmite comedy. I love it. Not everybody does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's old fashioned, dated and unoriginal but unashamedly so.....Brendan O'Carroll freely admits he draws his inspiration from 1970s sitcoms.

It's basically Bread from the 1980s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rkid wrote: »

Me too. I find it hilarious knock-about and find Lemon loathsome as well as unfunny. Very different types of humour..
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good grief....
  • Options
    tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Worst tv show ever bar none,,,,,,,makes brookside and albion market look classy
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I watched about ten minutes of one episode and that was more than enough for me.

If you're the kind of person who likes knob jokes and fall about laughing at the very mention of sex then you'll love it.

Personally, I really can't believe how awful it is.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for "rubbish".

I tried watching it twice, just to make sure, and didn't laugh once in either episode. Each to their own, some people really like it.
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: I don't like Mrs Brown's Boys but this comment is bloody stupid.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rkid wrote: »

Wahey! not just me that thinks like this then?
    It's one of the funniest shows I have watched in a long time, I love it.
    The current run on BBC has ended but I'm sure it's not the last we will see of it.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, can't stand the show. Mind you, I have no intention of insulting people just because they don't share my opinion - humour is very subjective.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Personally it makes me cringe. I find it unwatchable but I have friends on Facebook saying its the funniest thing they've ever seen. It gets good numbers and is very popular. I guess I just don't get it but I never find men dressed as woman funny for some reason.

The Keith lemon thing is interesting, on his show he can be hilarious but take him out of that environment and he's pretty awful.

Some of his biggest fans even said the Keith lemon film was the worst film they've seen. I know the manager at my local cinema as I go alot and he said more people walked out of that film than any other he's known. When lee Francis does interviews as Lemon their pretty uncomfortable to watch.

Humour is a funny old thing.
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It captures some of the hilarity you get watching it in the theatre. I've seen all of the live shows and they are always full houses.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it either. Is it basically 'When the whistle blows' from Extras?
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Not a fan. It's just not my type of comedy.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence to you, but how many other comedy series peak at around 8,000,000 viewers?

If you're using numbers to support the show isn't that a bit like saying it's the type of show that sheep follow?

The question was asking people's opinions about the actual show itself and whether they found it funny or not.
    Not asking how many people watch it as the criteria for how funny it is or isn't.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it, seen each episode several times and got the dvds

Am really looking forward to the christmas specials
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was the pub, or anything else for that matter.
    If people didn't like something then they simply wouldn't watch it. In that respect it was no different from now.
    It wasn't as though people were locked up in their houses and chained to their living room chairs.