Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool could just sneak into the top 4 with a consistent run of form after Christmas. Some tricky away games coming up in the new year against Man Utd, Arsenal and Man City though, which could derail a push for 4th.

We always seem to lose 2-1 at Old Trafford in the league nowadays so it'll probably be that scoreline again!!
    Other two matches we are capable of getting a point from.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Are you allowed to give medicals to other teams players bearing in mind that with the window closed we can't have officially agreed anything with Chesley?

That said, I'd much rather see us doing decisive business early doors instead of the usual protracted farce we've seen in recent years before things fall apart in a 10:58 fit-up.

Yes you can and get ready all paper work. Then on the 2nd Jan its just the signing thats required .
  • Options
    Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always seem to lose 2-1 at Old Trafford in the league nowadays so it'll probably be that scoreline again!!
    Other two matches we are capable of getting a point from.

We should ask Fulham if they could lend us Danny Murphy for that one game , could even put it on the FSG website before the deal is done ;)
  • Options
    Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    ...and not chucked it against City.

Really hope we can find a way past that Stoke defence.

And not got completely mugged off in the Derby with the most bent decision you will ever see , still pisses me off thinking about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing stands out for me in recent matches, is Luis NOT going down at all if he can help it. He will struggle to stay on his feet, and is keeping out of trouble in all ways, good for him. However, I do feel he needs his bit of agro now and then for his goal scoring talents, pleased with the new Luiz, but kinda miss the old one a bit.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seems a lot better in terms of P.R. than the last few interviews he's given.Comes across as a bloke who is able to switch off quite easily from the pressure of being a famous PL footballer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    One thing stands out for me in recent matches, is Luis NOT going down at all if he can help it. He will struggle to stay on his feet, and is keeping out of trouble in all ways, good for him. However, I do feel he needs his bit of agro now and then for his goal scoring talents, pleased with the new Luiz, but kinda miss the old one a bit.....

Stoke away on Boxing Day will be a big test of the 'new Luis'. Up against Robert Huth once more.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Stoke away on Boxing Day will be a big test of the 'new Luis'. Up against Robert Huth once more.

I just hope we can come away without any injuries. No doubt they will target Suarez and Sterling, but ANY misdemeanour by one of our lads will have Pulis up in arms. If Stoke want to employ a rough style of play then that's their prerogative, but it's pathetic how often he comes out and sounds off about unfair treatment and foul play after 90 minutes of watching his gang of thugs kick their opponents up and down the park.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

Oh, Suarez wanting to put racism behind him by talking about it yet again to the media?

Im shocked.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Oh, Suarez wanting to put racism behind him by talking about it yet again to the media?

Im shocked.

He doesn't really talk about that incident at all. Literally two lines in a big interview, I'm sure you know that having read it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »
    He doesn't really talk about that incident at all. Literally two lines in a big interview, I'm sure you know that having read it ;)

Of course i do, and just like the last big interview he gave he comes across very well but the fact remains that he needs to say "I'm not talking about it any more" before the interview begins or else it will always get referenced. Im sure you know that too (;)) and if you know it and i know it then Suarez knows it too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course i do, and just like the last big interview he gave he comes across very well but the fact remains that he needs to say "I'm not talking about it any more" before the interview begins or else it will always get referenced. Im sure you know that too (;)) and if you know it and i know it then Suarez knows it too.

Oh come on Canty, you really do have a bee in your bonnet over that episode! I am 100% sure your thoughts on it are very, very wrong (having lived and worked in Spanish & French speaking countries), but that's by the way, nothing said is going to change your mind. But I will say that as much as you despise Luis I feel completely abhorrent regarding Evra. Enough said though. :)

I think it was an excellent interview, he answered everything asked of him, didn't cower from any questions and good on him. Respect him even more - in spite of some of the moronic responses on the DM site....."New teeth please" - I despair of so called Educated Footie Fans!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Oh come on Canty, you really do have a bee in your bonnet over that episode! I am 100% sure your thoughts on it are very, very wrong (having lived and worked in Spanish & French speaking countries), but that's by the way, nothing said is going to change your mind. But I will say that as much as you despise Luis I feel completely abhorrent regarding Evra. Enough said though. :)

I think it was an excellent interview, he answered everything asked of him, didn't cower from any questions and good on him. Respect him even more - in spite of some of the moronic responses on the DM site....."New teeth please" - I despair of so called Educated Footie Fans!

Hang on.

I dont hate Suarez at all.

I have said he has been over-rated as a player at times when Liverpool fans were claiming he was great but "wasn't a natural goalscorer" when he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and i take issue with certain posters who think he pees champagne, but if you look at the majority of what I post on the topic my issues are with how Liverpool handled the situation not the situation itself.

I have no idea how language is meant or interpreted in different countries and i have no wish to brand Suarez for what could have been a simple lack of understanding in a different country. I left the situation behind a long time ago in that respect. Also I'm no "fan" of Evra for anything other than the fact that most of the time he is a good left back. Ive never met him, i don't know him and on that basis he could be the biggest **** in the world. That doesn't mean he lied about what Suarez said to him, but equally it doesn't mean i automatically assume he told the truth because he wears a Utd shirt. It would be nice if Liverpool fans offered him the same courtesy and didn't assume he was a **** and booed him on the basis that he was racially abused.
  • Options
    dgsmithdgsmith Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why we're playing Stoke on Wednesday when we haven't played QPR yet.. that'll mean we'll have played Stoke home & away this season (0-0 in Oct) before having played QPR at all.

I always thought each team played every other team once before January?
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Dare I comment on Suarez? - cos whenever i do it seems to create a reaction - can't resist tho as it is a subject I feel passionately about - again in this post I will try to be fair so here goes...

At times I wonder why LS bothers speaking to the English media especially the likes of the DM cos their opinon and much of the GBP is pretty well entrenched about him and nothing he can do or say will change it. The thing is tho that in the opinion of those who like the guy that opinion is very flawed and so maybe if you are LS you do try to address it and so agree to be interviewed - I have yet to see him do a bad one so it is something which he is good at..

I'll be honest here and say I do not totally recognise the new Luis this season - to me there is not a lot different from him last season and if anything I think some of the things he has done this season have been worse than last - the fouls V Wigan and Everton and the blatant dive V Stoke and the dive in front of Moyes - as a big Luis fan all of those were incidents which made me cringe.

General aspects of his on field play which also deserve comment are his dives, and his appealing. Re the dives I think he is guilty of exaggeration a bit but no more than most players and a lot less than some as he stays on his feet after being caught a lot. Re his appeals - hand ball he is a pain as 90% of the time imo he is wrong, offside he often has a case but then so do many players as liners get offside wrong a lot and others do not appeal as much as him, fouls it is 50/50. I guess he has to realise (as Kenny told him apparently) that moaning to refs is not worth it and you should just concentrate on playing (as a ref I often say to moaners 'you play, I'll ref') and tbh ultimately it does not help your cause as the result if you go OTT is a yellow - and LS has had enough of them this season - some for this kind of thing.

I always like reading of his life away from the field as his family life seems almost like a model family and he seems a very content man with his wife and daughter and close friends - South Americans who play for LFC mainly but other LFC players too - he seems a popular player with his team mates. He is never in the news off the field and the image on the Being Liverpool documentary of him playing Monopoly at home with his SA friends is one which stays with me - the bad boy of English football? - Lol

Then we move onto the more controversial stuff - Evra!! I think he does well now in the way he deals with it in interviews as he could say a lot more I am sure and that would be explosive and not helpful. Lets get this straight - he was accused by PE of saying despicable things which he totally denies and for which there is no evidence apart from PEs word - no video, no other player, no official, nobody!! To be blunt Luis and many LFC fans believe PE lied. So can you not understand why LS felt and still feels very angry with PE along with much of the LFC fan base - those who have examined it in any detail. I fully understand why he did not shake hands at OT - but what he should have done is seen the problem before and avoided it, thats where he and the club went wrong. I think the pair of them did well at Anfield this season to shake hands and now it is seen as behind them to a degree and so it is talked about less. Also yes I understand MUFC fans will support Evra and think he told the truth - I get that but please at least try to see how LFC fans feel even if you don't agree.

I try to think of it the other way round - say Glen accused Hernandez of saying racially abusive stuff to him at OT which nobody else but Glen heard - I would believe Glen of course I would, even if there was no supporting evidence. Say it went to the FA and Hernandez was banned for 8 games, still without any evidence apart from Glens word I think it is fair to say that Glen would get a hard time from the OT faithful - that is the situation so PE should always expect a hard time at Anfield altho yes I admit he could have told the truth, there is only 2 people who know the truth but if LFC fans side with LS and MUFC fans side with PE that should surprise nobody.

As the FA chose to side with PE that makes LFC fans even more angry over it all but now over a year later there is nothing we can do to change it so it is best not to talk about it much - I do think tho that it is almost impossible for LS to do an interview and it not be raised - it is never by him, he is asked about it and he always sidesteps answering it too directly - to those having a go at him for what he said in the interview try to be a bit fair hey. He could have ranted about PE being a liar (as I am sure that is what he thinks) but he did not and chose a more diplomatic concilatory approach - that to me is to his credit.

To sum up I think we at LFC are very lucky to have him at our club and we msut do all we can to make him stay at Anfield - I love his quotes about the club, the city and the fans - as he observed the fact that other fans boo him is cos he is a good player. If I am honest maybe if he did not play for LFC I admit I may not like him as much but for me he is our best player by a mile and we need to reflect that in how we treat him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im shocked.

We've done this to death but we know he'll be asked about it in every interview for the rest of his career. It's a step forward that the mail have put a question mark next to the word 'Racist' in the headline. In contrast to the mirror a year ago.

I'd like him to stay quiet about the issue as much as you do now. It does seem to be persisting as to the issue of a word used having different connotations in Uruguay. That'll just remain a grey area in the whole business. He does come across as pretty stupid in not realising that it clearly had a different meaning to Evra's understanding of Spanish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Much as i like you Alan you are constantly managing to go down in my estimation these days. What a load of pish.

Evra should get a hard time because of the process that took place and you would condone it if it was the other way round? Bollocks you would.

No one should EVER be punished for reporting wrong-doing. If you have an issue withe the FA thats fine, that is not the fault of Evra. It is this nonsense that stops people reporting racism, homophobic behaviour and the like. On a wider scale its why the likes of Jimmy Savilies victims didint come forward. If you are vilified for saying "hang on, this isn't right" then you just stay quiet.

You are also now condoning the diving etc of Suarez that you felt was such horrendous characteristics in Ronaldo. In Suarez its just "exaggeration" is it? Absolutely pathetic Alan. I don't know if you are being controversial for the sake of it but seriously look at your post about Ronaldo and your post above and tell me honestly that you are looking at both players through the same pair of eyes. The truth is you aren't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At times I wonder why LS bothers speaking to the English media especially the likes of the DM

Believe me Alan, I'm loathe to agree with anything written in the DM away from sport but genuinely feel he comes across well in this interview.

An issue I do now have is with the timing, we're only a few weeks away from our league visit to Old Trafford now. The media will love to stir it all up again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as i like you Alan you are constantly managing to go down in my estimation these days. What a load of pish.

Evra should get a hard time because of the process that took place and you would condone it if it was the other way round? Bollocks you would.

No one should EVER be punished for reporting wrong-doing. If you have an issue withe the FA thats fine, that is not the fault of Evra. It is this nonsense that stops people reporting racism, homophobic behaviour and the like. On a wider scale its why the likes of Jimmy Savilies victims didint come forward. If you are vilified for saying "hang on, this isn't right" then you just stay quiet.

You are also now condoning the diving etc of Suarez that you felt was such horrendous characteristics in Ronaldo. In Suarez its just "exaggeration" is it? Absolutely pathetic Alan. I don't know if you are being controversial for the sake of it but seriously look at your post about Ronaldo and your post above and tell me honestly that you are looking at both players through the same pair of eyes. The truth is you aren't.

I can't speak for Alan but from my own point of view and I know many others much of the abuse for Evra was because of his own actions that day and subsequently were far from innocent - he was in a seriously foul mood right from the start, arguing the coin toss and long before Suarez opened his trap. I'm not condoning in any way what Suarez said - whatever may have happened in Uruguay and whatever his true intentions were he should have been well aware it was not acceptable in this country but the abuse dished out by Evra, the constant sniping at officials and opposition players was comnpletely out of order.
    That is something which still annoys many, while Suarez was charged and found guilty on the word of one man and no video evidence whatsoever there is a multitude of evidence both on video and from various parties of Evra's ( admittedly lesser ) misdemeanours.
    Then we have the match at OT where the non handshake is being used to justify Evra almost scything his own defender in two while trying to get at Suarez and his deliberate incitement at the final whistle - you may say he was entitled ot celebrate but that was much more and had any Liverpool fans been nearby ( even those smuggled into the opposition areas for example ) we could have had a similar or worse incident to Rio's at the City match.
    Now we still have Utd fans trying to dictate the terms of any interview Suarez gives, he cannot win because you are not willing to see him as anyone but the villain of the piece - you can complain about us not liking Ronaldo despite the good he does but you are guilty of exactly the same thing re Suarez.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I'd like him to stay quiet about the issue as much as you do now. It does seem to be persisting as to the issue of a word used having different connotations in Uruguay. That'll just remain a grey area in the whole business. He does come across as pretty stupid in not realising that it clearly had a different meaning to Evra's understanding of Spanish.

Me too.

However Suarez meant what he said (and we all know he said it), I don't bear any grudge towards Evra for reporting what he perceived to be racial abuse. No one should receive hate for reporting discriminatory abuse.

For me, the report was inconclusive, but Suarez's problem was that Dalglish, Comolli and Kuyt all contradicted his version of events, which led to him being deemed 'unreliable' by the panel. In a criminal court, with a higher standard of proof, I doubt he'd have been found guilty. Alas, the FA decides these kind of matters on a balance of probabilities. The panel might have only believed there was a 51% chance Evra was telling the truth, but this would have been enough.

I'm surprised the DM decided to publish that interview, as I think it paints Suarez in a better light than pretty much every other article they've ever published about him. He comes across as just a regular family man who switches off from all the abuse and drama when he gets home. The whole footballing world is against him and he deals with it so easily.
  • Options
    SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved watching us last night! Our midfield was camped in their middle 3rd for most of that game and finally we converted our chances. Downing was boss, credit where it's due.

Really excited to watch Sturridge play for us; he's got an air of selfishness and arrogance but I like that in a striker. He certainly knows where the goal is.

Blues icon Drogba admits he's a big fan of the young striker.
    Drogba said: “One against one, I think he's the best player we have.
    "There are a few things he has to learn but he's really talented.”

I'm not gonna second guess The Drog.

Welcome Daniel YNWA!
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member

Its not to do with the word negro (not negrito DM) the main issue for me is to do with the fact that Evra said LS said
    • I kicked you cos you are black
    • I do not speak to blacks
    • Bring it on blackie blackie blackie

Thats where 5 of the alledged figure of 7 abusive words came from

Pretty despicable stuff I think we all agree - and if true worthy of a big ban

However LS denies saying anything of the sort and even the phrase on which there is broad agreement between them there is slight linguistic differences highlighted by Spanish speakers who know far more about it than I do.

Therefore I think PE lied about LS about an incredibly sensivitive controversial topic the way the world is today with the consequence that LS is reviled by many - and I am not happy over that (to say the least!!)

At the end of the day tho re the hearing and the ban it was right in so far as the law says something like 'players should not refer to another players ethnic origins' and LS did do that (his own words condemned him) and so guilty was the right verdict altho a qualified guilty as in his culture there would not be a problem - where there is a problem is where the ban was extended cos of alledged multiple use - LS says there was no mulitple use and there is no evidence to refute this.

Being controversial for the sake of it? - not at all.

I am not having a go at Evra for reporting what he perceived as wrong doing, I am having a go as imo he did not tell the truth when he made the accusation.

Are you referring to my Glen, Chico illustration? - that is just realism - LFC fans believe their man, MUFC believe theirs when it is one persons word against the other when there is no evidence, do you think that is wrong?

To try to clarify re CR (tho whether you even choose to read or take in what I actually say i am doubting these days) I think CR dived a lot when he came to the PL, he improved over time but still has a bit of that in his locker and prob always will have - same with LS, both dive and exaggerate a bit but are by no means the worst offenders in world football. They are also both exceptional players and so cos of this both are the targets of the cloggers from the opposition - and so imo both are frequently fouled and cos of their reputation do not get free kicks - watch the likes of Shawcross, Huth ...etc next Wednesday if you have any doubt on that one

Btw I never condone diving by anyone - but I would say it can be a grey area at times.

and in trying to reply and clarify I have prob made things worse despite that not being my intention!! - oh well.

Happy Christmas anyway!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We stay in 8th for Xmas after Swansea draw with Utd.

Well done to the Swans on some great defending. Showed you can frustrate those at the very top as well as us lately.
This discussion has been closed.