Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?

Comments

• VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    entigy68 wrote: »
    Any indication yet whether we will be able to get the BT Sports channels via a TalkTalk YouView box?
    I already have TT phone and fibre broadband, which means I can get a box for free.
    I was thinking of dumping my TopUpTv box (which I use purely for SS1/SS2/ESPN) this summer and switching to YouView, but if you have to have BT Infinity then I'm scuppered....

No, thats only for BTVision users, atm.

The YouView from TalkTalk channels are 'transmitted' over they're DSL network, but they're not recordable yet. 3Mbps is required for Video on Demand, 5 - 6Mbps required for the Boost channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Right, well I'm on 38Mb fibre so that should be more than adequate ;)

My main concern was whether the sports channels would be exclusive to BT Vision/Infinity customers, whilst those of use on TT would miss out...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    entigy68 wrote: »
    Right, well I'm on 38Mb fibre so that should be more than adequate ;)

My main concern was whether the sports channels would be exclusive to BT Vision/Infinity customers, whilst those of use on TT would miss out...

Apart from confirmation they will be broadcasting on the Sky satellite platform thats all an unknown at the moment. So I suppose everyone will just have to wait for the announcements as to what other platforms will be getting them too. Including DTT (or not).
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure Top Up TV must no what going on,;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Hiya,

From my understanding, BT/TalkTalk are currently waiting for an software update direct from YouView to enable broadband TV channels.

Once this update happens then just like on my BT Vision box you will be able to record these channels. (i.e. on my BT Vision box - not the youview one) I can record NCIS via Fox on channel 859.

when the software update happens then the only thing the TalkTalk/BT Vision Player will be used for is on demand stuff.

but the channels are in the 800s.

p.s. I would upload the letter I recieved from BT, but it has address/account details on it and do not feel comfortable uploading for this reason.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hiya,

From my understanding, BT/TalkTalk are currently waiting for an software update direct from YouView to enable broadband TV channels.

Once this update happens then just like on my BT Vision box you will be able to record these channels. (i.e. on my BT Vision box - not the youview one) I can record NCIS via Fox on channel 859.

when the software update happens then the only thing the TalkTalk/BT Vision Player will be used for is on demand stuff.

but the channels are in the 800s.

p.s. I would upload the letter I recieved from BT, but it has address/account details on it and do not feel comfortable uploading for this reason.

Use Paint to bank out personal details.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A link to the letter has already been posted on this thread. But here it is -

'Important Information About Your TV Service - Letter Received From BT Today

Many of you will probably be aware of the information listed below, however there may be some who aren't. Received today in the post from BT.............

Dear ................

The way you watch your premium channels is changing

From late April 2013, some of your favourite premium TV channels will come through our super fast, fibre optic broadband service, Infinity, rather than through your aerial. You'll still get the same great service, plus four new channels. All you have to do is call us.

What does that mean for you?
    The way we deliver ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 will change. Don't worry, there's no change to you, you'll still be able to watch them on the same channels as you do today.
    You'll also be able to watch crystal-clear HD on BBC One HD, BBC HD, ITV HD (Although ITV HD is not available in Scotland or Northern Ireland) and Channel 4 HD.
    These changes are all part of your Infinity package, so they won't cost you a penny more. If you want to know more, go to bt.com/help/switchover

What do I need to do?
    Just call us as soon as you can on 0800 328 3588 and quote 'Premium Channels Switchover - Infinity'. We'll check you've got the right equipment and set-up so you're ready for the switch.

We're bringing you even more sport
    As one of our sports subscribers, you may be interested to hear we're launching BT Sport later this year. If you'd like to know more, visit BTSport.com

Thanks for choosing BT.

Warren Buckley
    Managing Director, Customer Service

There is also a FAQs box and in that it states:

Will the change affect the way I watch TV
    You'll get four channels in crystal clear HD at no extra cost. You'll also still get all the same great channels, including ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2, but you will no longer need to use your viewing card.

Why Should I call in?
    Your BT Vision box and hub will need a direct wired connection. If they aren't connected in this way at the moment, we can send an engineer out to help you for free. Or we can send you the cable you need, and you can do it yourself (don't worry, it's still free).
    To make an appointment or to order the cable, just call 0800 328 3588.'

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1805140

But as I said, its only aimed at BT Infinity BTV users. And they haven't confirmed yet that they will/won't be pulling the DTT transmissions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet the odds are good that TOPUPTV will close on 1/8/13.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be it all depends on what BT plan to do. It would seem BT are planning to confirm that next week according to other recent posts.

As a none sports based user of TUTV it is rather sad that the whole thing to go within 3 months but considering how things have gone over the last couple of years you could equally say that TUTV did rather well lasting this long.

Even with the reduced service and the various issues I will miss it when it's gone even though it isn't so great any longer.

If the company had found another way to get sports, not that there was one, then it might have saved some money on the RnD for the CAM which might have given it a better chance to carry on or even develop a HD box etc but what can you do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate emailed TUTV and they confirmed they where in talks with BT and they where 'confident of a positive outcome in the very near future' over the sports provided by BT.

Taking into account how TUTV tend to dance around any situation draw your own conclusions.

I see it this way, BT want as many people subscribing as possible but not all areas are ready to take up via IPTV so they need to keep as many people as possible on side therefore keeping their freeview based service going another 12 months makes sense. But until they offically post their plans it's all guess work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate emailed TUTV and they confirmed they where in talks with BT and they where 'confident of a positive outcome in the very near future' over the sports provided by BT.

Taking into account how TUTV tend to dance around any situation draw your own conclusions.

I see it this way, BT want as many people subscribing as possible but not all areas are ready to take up via IPTV so they need to keep as many people as possible on side therefore keeping their freeview based service going another 12 months makes sense. But until they offically post their plans it's all guess work.

BT make more money by getting people on to triple play (Telephone, Broadband and Subscription TV).

While the roll out of Fibre Multicast may be slow there has been plenty of the Copper Multicast network has been upgraded. Obviously BT make even more from Fibre subscribers and are keen to get them on to that system they could easily use Copper Multicast as a fall back system and make slightly lower profits. Alternatively they could keep DTT going and put BT Sports on instead of Sky Sports. Im not sure if this will bring in more or less subscribers as opposed to Sky Sports as the matches to be shown are hotly debated.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting post in a neighbouring forum.

"However, the small print on the back says.."those customers that have not responded or upgraded to BT Infinity will start to lose Sky Sports 1, 2 and ESPN from 3rd June."

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65756662&postcount=9
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Interesting post in a neighbouring forum.

"However, the small print on the back says.."those customers that have not responded or upgraded to BT Infinity will start to lose Sky Sports 1, 2 and ESPN from 3rd June."

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65756662&postcount=9

I am looking forward to June 4th 2013.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like its all over!

In a letter sent to a subscriber they have said that Sky Sports and ESPN are closing and have told subscribers to phone Sky. Seriously!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q80/s480x480/941958_10201144678321179_64622781_n.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Looks like its all over!

In a letter sent to a subscriber they have said that Sky Sports and ESPN are closing and have told subscribers to phone Sky. Seriously!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q80/s480x480/941958_10201144678321179_64622781_n.jpg
    Only 4 hours too late.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Only 4 hours too late.;)

Had to go to that place called work so missed out. But at least we know TUTVs fate more or less.

You couldnt make this stuff up. There are plenty of people on here who will still be in denial :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Had to go to that place called work so missed out. But at least we know TUTVs fate more or less.

You couldnt make this stuff up. There are plenty of people on here who will still be in denial :D
    No doubt.

Some will also claim they knew all along, when really, it was just a lucky guess based on nothing at all. ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    That's annoying since I subscribed to topuptv 3 weeks ago. any chance to get my money back?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick_t1 wrote: »
    That's annoying since I subscribed to topuptv 3 weeks ago. any chance to get my money back?
    I thought it was only a monthly contract.
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    I thought it was only a monthly contract.

It is indeed. But equipment and activation was something like £50. The box is absolutely useless without topup tv as my tv has freeview already.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is indeed. But equipment and activation was something like £50. The box is absolutely useless without topup tv as my tv has freeview already.

Should of done your research first!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Should have read the warning signs that have been posted on here a while now.

You never know they might survive.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Should have read the warning signs that have been posted on here a while now.

You never know they might survive.

True. Got it wrong. I doubt they would survive otherwise they wouldn't push customers to sky
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The box is absolutely useless without topup tv as my tv has freeview already.
    Doesn't it work as a basic PVR? Isn't that more than you have on your TV?
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it will survive, the only real future for pay channels is IPTV, as there is not enough room not to mention the cost to make Pay on DTT viable