Teenage acne, slight pitting.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
Forum Member
My gf's younger brother is 16 and has had a few outbreaks of acne over the last few months. Nothing really bad just a few zits on his forehead and chin, which he hasn't popped because he was told that would cause scarring.

Looking at him today though, he's got a few slight pitted scars appear on his forehead. Is there any natural or over the counter remedy anyone can recommend, he's adamant he won't go to the doctor for it.

They're not especially deep, will they fade on their own?

Comments

• michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best option for acne severe enough to cause pitting or scarring is antibiotics combined with Vitamin K cream, whish is only available on prescription, so try to encourage him to see is GP.

Light scarring will fade after a couple of years.

Over the counter acne treatments are effective but can cause peeling or dryness. But he may have to try a few different varieties to find one that works for him. The only effective natural remedy is witch hazel, but it is only really good for mid acne.

He should avoid using moisturisers until his skin settles down. Oily skin does not really need it in any case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roaccutane is highly effective anti-acne treatment but it prescription only. It's essentially very high dosage of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is an ovetrthe counter alternative, but it's going to be a lot more expensive than a prescription - and also Vitamin A in high doses can be dangerous. It's much better that he gets a regulated version.

Just tell him to man up & spend three minutes of his life embarrassed at the doctors. It'll be SO worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's that he's scared of going to the Dr's, he's just heard about some of the prescription drugs causing mental health problems and such.

Tbh he doesn't really have it bad at all, I don't even remember him having more than a couple on his forehead yet he has scars there. He's staying with us at the moment so I might take him to see a pharmacist tomorrow to see what the best over the counter thing is, and ask about Vitamin A.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roaccutane has been associated wit depression and low mood (rare) and also with serious birth defects (common but obly an issue for women who must avoid pregnancy atll costs whikevusing it). Antibiotics are by comparison relatively safe.

High dose Vitamin A should not be used without medical supervision.

If the spots are mostly on the forehead, does he also have dandruff that does not respond to normal anti dandruff shampoo? If so it could be seborrheic dermatitus, in which case he should ask a pharmasist for a suitable shampoo such as Nizoral.:rolleyes:
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    michael37 wrote: »
    Roaccutane has been associated wit depression and low mood (rare) and also with serious birth defects (common but obly an issue for women who must avoid pregnancy atll costs whikevusing it). Antibiotics are by comparison relatively safe.

High dose Vitamin A should not be used without medical supervision.

If the spots are mostly on the forehead, does he also have dandruff that does not respond to normal anti dandruff shampoo? If so it could be seborrheic dermatitus, in which case he should ask a pharmasist for a suitable shampoo such as Nizoral.:rolleyes:

I was prescribed Roaccutane when I was a (spotty) teenager and it is incredibly effective. I am sure that the side effects which have been associated with it really only affects a tiny minority of people who take it. As long as you keep an eye out for them (and stop taking it if you are affected) it really is a bit of a wonder drug or at least that's how it felt when I became acne free. It makes a stupid amount of difference to your self confidence at that age. I would certainly recommend going to the doctor to discuss whether they think it is appropriate.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I can guess how he feels as I too suffered acne on face and upper body untill about 23, causing me considerable distress at the time.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..A few years ago I worked with a dermatologist and I think the best way to get rid of pitted scars is crystal dermabrasion, it costs about £120 for 3 treatments but it's certainly worth it as it will get rid of these scars almost completely and work better than any topical solution would.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dermabrasion, scar reduction creams enriched with vitamins, chemical peels and light make up are the best ways to reduce visible acne scarring. Mineral based make up such as skin camouflage products are arguably the best. Rio does a reasonably priced set.

http://www.riobeauty.co.uk/skin-camouflage.html

Dermatix can also help reduce scarring.

http://www.dermatix.co.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I have been taking Roaccutane for the last 4 months and whilst highly effective (I do not have a single spot or blackhead on my face, it's kind of amazing), you have to jump through so many hoops to get it. It took me 3 years before I got my referral to the dermatologist for it. I had to do two courses of topical treatments and then 3 different antibiotics courses as well. They really don't like putting people on it and if your gf's brother only has very limited acne they probably won't give it to him at all, it just isn't worth the potential risks.

His scars will fade in the next couple of years, there's probably little point in trying to treat them unless they're causing him significant self-esteem issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice people. Took him this morning to see the pharmacist and he just recommended the over the counter scrub stuff, and said they'd fade soon enough so the lad is less worried now which is the main thing.