Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Read this article.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/584225.html

the counties would only make good money if they actually win the tournament, the rest of the money isn't that lucrative enough to cancel domestic cricket games, especially with ECB paying more money in grants than the price money of actually taking part in the champions league, plus only two counties can take part.

Funny enough ECB wanted the teams to take part, but the counties rejected the proposal.

Reading the article it says they get $200,000 for going out in the group stages, so it is good money down the line
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Reading the article it says they get $200,000 for going out in the group stages, so it is good money down the line

it is good money, but not lucrative enough to cancel county games for it. Remember only two counties + ECB get's the money from the tournament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is good money, but not lucrative enough to cancel county games for it. Remember only two counties + ECB get's the money from the tournament.

They arent cancelling county games, they are postponing them, they will still get played wont they ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They arent cancelling county games, they are postponing them, they will still get played wont they ?

nope if the counties choose to play champions league, then 2 games of county championship games have to be scrapped.

ECB gave the counties a choice, play 14 county championship games and play Champions league or play 16 county championship games.

all the counties voted for 16 county championship games.

ECB are keen for 14 championship games, but counties rejected the idea.

ECB are also keen with the 50 over format, but counties don't like the format, they negotiated that they would keep 16 county championship games if they play 50 over format.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/541902.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They cancel 2 whole rounds of game in the county championship so that 2 teams can go and lose at T20 to money rich IPL teams. The IPL teams not only cover a greater population with fewer sides they are allowed to field more overseas players and get dibs on them if they happen to have played for another team playing in the Champions League. In terms of a sporting contest it's pretty uneven and pretty much a side show both for the Indians and English. The BCCI only care for the IPL and the English county championship is entirely based around the success of the English test team, pretty much nothing else matter most of the counties don't make a profit and get most of their funding from the ECB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smiggs wrote: »
    They cancel 2 whole rounds of game in the county championship so that 2 teams can go and lose at T20 to money rich IPL teams. The IPL teams not only cover a greater population with fewer sides they are allowed to field more overseas players and get dibs on them if they happen to have played for another team playing in the Champions League. In terms of a sporting contest it's pretty uneven and pretty much a side show both for the Indians and English. The BCCI only care for the IPL and the English county championship is entirely based around the success of the English test team, pretty much nothing else matter most of the counties don't make a profit and get most of their funding from the ECB.

this is all true, apart from this point, the BCCI only care about Money.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a note that Sky will be showing a live game from each of the final two rounds of the County Championship (17th-20th September and 24th-27th September)
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    Just a note that Sky will be showing a live game from each of the final two rounds of the County Championship (17th-20th September and 24th-27th September)

thats good, 3 live matches it will be this season then..
  • Options
    Forum Member

are sky showing 61 games or 60, with one less YB40 game.

I know ECB are looking at ways of making more county championships games live on the internet or on tv in the future, maybe they persuaded sky to show one extra game.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder what's led to this decision to show an extra game?

I guess it indicates that either Sky are keen to do so or if not that the ECB have encouraged them to do so.

I don't know whether negotiations re 2018/19 may be relevant - I think some suggestion that Sky may only have an option for international but not domestic cricket. I don't think we know that for sure but if true Sky may want to do a bit more for the ECB as part of a deal to extend domestic for 2018/19?

Incidentally nothing on SPI website for 17/20 Sept.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are sky showing 61 games or 60, with one less YB40 game.

I know ECB are looking at ways of making more county championships games live on the internet or on tv in the future, maybe they persuaded sky to show one extra game.

If you count T20 Finals day as 1 day instead of 3 games then I make it 61
    mlt11 wrote: »

I guess it indicates that either Sky are keen to do so or if not that the ECB have encouraged them to do so.

I don't know whether negotiations re 2018/19 may be relevant - I think some suggestion that Sky may only have an option for international but not domestic cricket. I don't think we know that for sure but if true Sky may want to do a bit more for the ECB as part of a deal to extend domestic for 2018/19?

Not sure why they've made the decision to unfortunately, I would be surprised if it was based this early on 2018/19 though
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Always feels a bit weird, a bit melancholic, watching county cricket on Sky during mid to late September - summer's long gone, the light feels all wrong, it's practically autumn, the football season's taken over.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Always feels a bit weird, a bit melancholic, watching county cricket on Sky during mid to late September - summer's long gone, the light feels all wrong, it's practically autumn, the football season's taken over.

I get what you mean, its a funny time of year, same as Cricket in April, it kinds feels strange, with football going on still
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you count T20 Finals day as 1 day instead of 3 games then I make it 61

Not sure why they've made the decision to unfortunately, I would be surprised if it was based this early on 2018/19 though

nothing to do with 2018 onward domestically, its to do with the ecb and the desire for more coverage of domestic 4day cricket on tv - i've explained the rest to you as best I am able in other posts.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they are likely to be showing 2, i guess the 1st one, will be a relegation game, and the 2nd will be where the team who seems most likely will win it.

I enjoyed it the other year, when Lancs, kinda won it, being like underdogs going into the last day, And the last half an hour or so, was bought to us, like Cricket in the old days, one camera at one end
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wimbledon 12:30 Banbury
    ECB National Club t20 2013, Sky Sports 2 HD (12:30)
    Chester-le-Street 15:30 Ormskirk
    ECB National Club t20 2013, Sky Sports 2 HD (15:30)
    Final
    ECB National Club t20, Sky Sports 2 HD (19:10)

dont forget them friday guys if you like 20/20 cricket...
  • Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Greg Blewett has been a decent addition to the sky team. Not the usual Aussie hyperbole and decent analysis, suppose we will be back to Warne for the winter tests though :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Greg Blewett has been a decent addition to the sky team. Not the usual Aussie hyperbole and decent analysis, suppose we will be back to Warne for the winter tests though :mad:

yea, i would like 2 aussie pundits .. and maybe have 3 in the box at a time..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've missed the 3rd man element. Hope that comes back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Warne is far better for me
    yea, i would like 2 aussie pundits .. and maybe have 3 in the box at a time..

No, you want a commentary team supporting England
    I've missed the 3rd man element. Hope that comes back.

I did at first but the Ashes Zone really grew on me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warne is far better for me

Thought Warne was excellent when he started but he has become a bit of a joke, still enjoy his stints with Bumble, but him and Beefy together is very tiring.
    No, you want a commentary team supporting England

I want a commentary team to be as impartial as possible
    I did at first but the Ashes Zone really grew on me

Never understood why we couldn't have both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »

Is this still happening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought Warne was excellent when he started but he has become a bit of a joke, still enjoy his stints with Bumble, but him and Beefy together is very tiring.

I want a commentary team to be as impartial as possible

Never understood why we couldn't have both.

Why would you want an impartial commentary team ? So you would get rid of some great commentators like Athers and Nasser to draft in an Aussie/Kiwi/West Indian etc or two ? No. It is the England team it is on TV in the UK. I am not saying lets sing Jerusalem every time we get a wicket but some partisan commentary sounds great. It excites the viewer, who is, let's be honest, very partisan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this still happening?

All seems to have gone quiet on the issue, unless they have made reference to it on the coverage today.

All the necessary steps had been put in place for it to happen so not really sure why it has fallen by the wayside, especially given that a win would almost certainly give Durham the title
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Have to agree, not much wrong with the current Sky team, it is rather annoying how Gower and Botham dont "demean" themselves with T20 internationals and county games but I suppose you cant have it all.

And the "internationals" who commentate are good too, Smith who does the NZ matches being a particularly good one.