Options

Netflix-Anyone on the trials?

virginskyfanvirginskyfan Posts: 590
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone on the Virgin netflix trails? How are they going?
Are you a 1st time user? What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it? It is just an app on their tv box right?

I can watch it on my smart tv, my iphone, my ipad, my laptop, my desktop, my wife's nexus 4, the xbox and the ps3! Why get so excited about an app on a TiVo box?

Or do they give it to us for free?
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member

I can watch it on my smart tv, my iphone, my ipad, my laptop, my desktop, my wife's nexus 4, the xbox and the ps3! Why get so excited about an app on a TiVo box?

Nothing special but remember:

-netflix on tvo uses the tivo broadband thus freeing up bandwidth on home broadband.
    -its listed in the EPG, rumours say its running a stream doing a promo on whats on netflix
    -convenience, some may not have the kit to hook a pc up to the big tv or have a device with netflix on.
    -all in one, do you know a device (apart from a pc) that has netflix, picturebox, filmflex(virgin movies) and sky anytime as well as sky movies in linear mode that pumps out HD? I don't think there is another device?

but yes I agree theres no real special thing to it.:)
  • Options
    passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One positive aspect of Netflix on Tivo is that Netflix results will be included in Tivo's search.

So if you search for a show, it will tell you if it's upcoming on a TV channel, on VM's On Demand or on Netflix. Presumably, if it is on Netflix, you will select the Netflix icon it and it will take you straight to the show on Netflix.

The only downside, compared to some other Netflix devices is that you won't have the option to use Unblockus on Tivo.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been with Netflix for 2 months or so, I had a WD TV Live box for a couple of weeks but Tivo made it redundant. For the most part, very happy with how it works (a more reliable pic than standard TV here). Dolby Digital sound and HD. FF / REW is a little erratic, and I always get a weird thing when watching the glorious Mythbusters - 15 seconds into playback the screen goes black and that's the end of that. But pressing up (which, counter-intuitively is the same in Netflix as left in the rest of the box) returns to the menu and reselecting "play from the beginning" always works smoothly.

Does't seem to be much added lately, but overall very happy.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is watching it on your smart tv the best out of all those devices though?
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Nothing special but remember:

-netflix on tvo uses the tivo broadband thus freeing up bandwidth on home broadband.
    -its listed in the EPG, rumours say its running a stream doing a promo on whats on netflix
    -convenience, some may not have the kit to hook a pc up to the big tv or have a device with netflix on.
    -all in one, do you know a device (apart from a pc) that has netflix, picturebox, filmflex(virgin movies) and sky anytime as well as sky movies in linear mode that pumps out HD? I don't think there is another device?

but yes I agree theres no real special thing to it.:)
    Also it opens Netflix up to those people who may not actually have a computer, Smart TV or 'normal' broadband connection
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    My Samsung smart TV doesn't even have Netflix because it is a 2011 model. From what I have heard Netflix isn't even HD on many TV's. Even Lovefilm which is on my TV only does 720p so I prefer to watch via PC connected to my TV where I can see it in 1080p. Also with the added fact that Netflix will have Dolby Digital on Tivo which isn't available through my PC. I would say I am certainly welcoming the introduction of Netflix on Virgin Media.
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not interested in the Netflix part of the update and I am quite happy that we will get the long awaited updates that the US TiVo's got last year:

http://blog.tivo.com/2012/10/fall-update-for-tivo-premiere-dvrs/#.Uk6bKNFwZdg

These have been confirmed by posters on the VM support forums as being included in the update for the Netflix trial.

Also confirmed is that back-to-back recordings (with padding) on the same channel now only uses a single tuner but preserves padding on both recordings where the overlap occurs and it seems that you can now set the video output so that it is passed straight to your TV so that it can do the up-scaling instead of the box!

These are far more exciting developments as far as I am concerned and I hope VM push the update nationally ASAP.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

No problems with it, does HD streaming as well as 3D! But i need to use unblock us for the 3D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not interested in the Netflix part of the update and I am quite happy that we will get the long awaited updates that the US TiVo's got last year:

http://blog.tivo.com/2012/10/fall-update-for-tivo-premiere-dvrs/#.Uk6bKNFwZdg

These have been confirmed by posters on the VM support forums as being included in the update for the Netflix trial.

Also confirmed is that back-to-back recordings (with padding) on the same channel now only uses a single tuner but preserves padding on both recordings where the overlap occurs and it seems that you can now set the video output so that it is passed straight to your TV so that it can do the up-scaling instead of the box!

These are far more exciting developments as far as I am concerned and I hope VM push the update nationally ASAP.

I've got the Netflix app here (I thought everyone did by now?) but I don't have any of those features mentioned in the link. Not sure about the back-to-back padding, sounds like a sensible move though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    I've got the Netflix app here (I thought everyone did by now?) but I don't have any of those features mentioned in the link. Not sure about the back-to-back padding, sounds like a sensible move though.

The following areas are taking part in the trials:

Peterborough, Crawley, Andover, Londonderry, Swindon, Ashford and Newton Abbot (Exeter).

Are you in one of these? If not then I am curious as to how you have the Netflix app.

I believe the new software is v1.20.2 or something like that - can you check to see what you are running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noiseboy wrote: »

Peterborough, Crawley, Andover, Londonderry, Swindon, Ashford and Newton Abbot (Exeter).

Are you in one of these? If not then I am curious as to how you have the Netflix app.

I believe the new software is v1.20.2 or something like that - can you check to see what you are running.
    Has anyone seen any screen shots of the new HD menus on VM's Tivo? Previous google searches have turned up nothing. I'm particularly curious (read concerned) after Noiseboy's post.
  • Options
    weetomuncherweetomuncher Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I wish they would get Lovefilm too.

I have Netflix and Lovefilm as there are obvious gaps in the library of both services and you really need both if you're enthusiastic about streaming movies and TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    passingbat wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any screen shots of the new HD menus on VM's Tivo? Previous google searches have turned up nothing. I'm particularly curious (read concerned) after Noiseboy's post.

I haven't seen any of the HD menus either but there is a posting on cf showing off the Netflix app and it states that there are other changes to the TV guide and My Shows that had been noted:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35621023-post2887.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen any of the HD menus either but there is a posting on cf showing off the Netflix app and it states that there are other changes to the TV guide and My Shows that had been noted:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35621023-post2887.html
    Thanks for posting that. I had actually seen that already. I wonder why no HD menu screen shots have appeared?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member

Software is 20.3.5. Don't know how he has the netflix as he's not in a trial area
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezzie wrote: »
    Software is 20.3.5. Don't know how he has the netflix as he's not in a trial area

Cheers dezzie for clarifying.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problems with it, does HD streaming as well as 3D! But i need to use unblock us for the 3D.

My point was really that being able to watch Netflix stuff on your tv is probably the best option.

So its all very well you not getting the point of Netflix through Virgin because you have a smart tv. But not everyone does, so having it available through Virgin would be worthwhile.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in one of those trial areas and joined Netflix to try the app on my Tivo.
    All I can say is - wow. I've watched the first 2 series of Breaking Bad plus the Hobbit film all with a glorious picture on my new non smart Samsung TV with no lag at all.

This for me is very new so forgive my enthusiasm, but at just £6 a month it's a steal considering I recently paid £5 just to watch the new Star Trek film on demand!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    I live in one of those trial areas and joined Netflix to try the app on my Tivo.
    All I can say is - wow. I've watched the first 2 series of Breaking Bad plus the Hobbit film all with a glorious picture on my new non smart Samsung TV with no lag at all.

This for me is very new so forgive my enthusiasm, but at just £6 a month it's a steal considering I recently paid £5 just to watch the new Star Trek film on demand!

I agree mate. I often read comments with people lamenting the UK library but for less than half the price of a daily newspaper it's quite stunning value really.

How can anyone complain at 20p a day? :confused:

If you like Netflix you should consider paying a few quid to Unblock US to gain access to American ,Canadian and other regions. So much content for a total price of a tenner a month.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    The new software update looks to add a couple of other useful features such as high contrast display and power save settings.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo-and-Netflix-Pilot/Netflix-and-TiVo-Pilot-FAQ-Updated-03-10-13/td-p/1982886
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree mate. I often read comments with people lamenting the UK library but for less than half the price of a daily newspaper it's quite stunning value really.

How can anyone complain at 20p a day? :confused:

If you like Netflix you should consider paying a few quid to Unblock US to gain access to American ,Canadian and other regions. So much content for a total price of a tenner a month.

But you can't do that on Virgin can you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can't do that on Virgin can you?

No, you need to change the DNS address for unblockus and VM Netflix will be via the 10 meg connection on the inbuilt Tivo modem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    The new software update looks to add a couple of other useful features such as high contrast display and power save settings.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo-and-Netflix-Pilot/Netflix-and-TiVo-Pilot-FAQ-Updated-03-10-13/td-p/1982886

Yes, I have those features - not the earlier ones mentioned though. I had no idea it was only in certain trial areas, and I sure don't live in those - but I've had Netflix for about a month now (can't remember the exact date). Box reports Hardware is 4.0, software 20.3.5.RC6-VMS-2-C8A.

Not much change to my Netflix experience - mostly excellent, with the one repetitive glitch that means 19 time out of 20 Mythbusters eps stop 15 seconds in to the programme and the box then thinks you've watched the whole thing. Up arrow out, return to browser, play episode from the beginning and it's always fine the 2nd time. It did do it on one other series the other day (Arrested Development maybe?) but it never did it once on my beloved Breaking Bad. Very odd, mildly annoying but no biggie as it always works 2nd time around.

Picture and sound via Dolby Digital are consistently great - we stil get breakup on some channels of normal TV, this has been silky smooth.