Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Well if they've put gagging orders on anyone they certainly haven't put one on Levine :)

They may have tried. Think they needed a bigger gag!
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked anneke wills out on IMDB. Her doctor who's read like a lost episode wish list..... Power of the daleks did jump out at me though.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, though, Miracle Day was kinda crap...

Yeah... I'd even say it was Pollocks.

Just thinking, could you imagine the reaction if some hardcore nu-who fanboy/girl walked into this thread, and started banging on about how they found the old series slow and crap.

I think I'd actually quite enjoy watching that for a few minutes... at the very least someone would certainly call him an ugly fish :D
  • Options
    Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    I've heard the BBC has been putting gagging orders on some fans who are in the know, but are being asked to keep things secret.

For some fans that will be hard to achieve, but I suppose the thought of the police bashing down your front door at midnight is enough to keep them silent.

Utter rubbish. The BBC can't legally stop anyone talking about anything. They can ask them not to but that's all.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utter rubbish. The BBC can't legally stop anyone talking about anything. They can ask them not to but that's all.

They could also offer them an incentive to sign a voluntary agreement, I guess. It's difficult to think what the incentive would be though; they'd be idiots if it were something as obvious as "sign a full NDA, learn the genuine facts" since that'd basically guarantee a leak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True of course, but given recent events it's worth wondering if something triggered the false story.

It's possible that a vocal fan turned out to be either a BBC employee, or of a company they work with. There will actually be many thousands of people covered by their employers NDA with the BBC, which they may not even be aware of until reminded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    I've heard the BBC has been putting gagging orders on some fans who are in the know, but are being asked to keep things secret.

For some fans that will be hard to achieve, but I suppose the thought of the police bashing down your front door at midnight is enough to keep them silent.

What gagging order? you mean Steve Hill making some crap up about how sites have been shut down due to no discussion? Biggest load of BS I ever heard.

How does itunes work anyway? I gather you download the software and browse but are there limits like how long you get a video file for or how many times you can watch it?
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Can someone please clarify what is being announced tomorrow?

is it going to be them saying "we believe we have found 90 (or however many) episodes, we have confirmed this, that, the other and further titles will be confirmed later, but we believe we have 90"

I know its probably on this thread somewhere, but theres way too much rubbish to sift through.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Can someone please clarify what is being announced tomorrow?

is it going to be them saying "we believe we have found 90 (or however many) episodes, we have confirmed this, that, the other and further titles will be confirmed later, but we believe we have 90"

I know its probably on this thread somewhere, but theres way too much rubbish to sift through.

According to ian levine on twitter the recovery of further episodes will depend on the sales of the ones being announced tomorrow.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to ian levine on twitter the recovery of further episodes will depend on the sales of the ones being announced tomorrow.

Bit of a blackmail but okay.

The thing is, is that the majority of fans would raver just wait till the DVDs come out, so it would be good if they had organized some DVDs to be announced for next month.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF this is the case, that further episodes depend on the sales of those announced tomorrow, I am planting my flag now and saying, sorry but I wont be helping towards the new episodes!

I refuse to double dip DVD as well as online.

However, seriously? I rather doubt they would do that since Doctor Who is one of their biggest properties and the opportunity to get these DVDs released and then re release them on whatever formats are in the future. Crystal, in ear plugins, or whatever is 20 years down the line again, is probably too much for them to resist.

How accurate has Ian Levine been in the past? He always strikes me as some one who pretends to know more than he actually does and blows a little hot but I could be wrong (so strike me down if I am)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    Yeah... I'd even say it was Pollocks.

Just thinking, could you imagine the reaction if some hardcore nu-who fanboy/girl walked into this thread, and started banging on about how they found the old series slow and crap.

I think I'd actually quite enjoy watching that for a few minutes... at the very least someone would certainly call him an ugly fish :D

ooooh! Me! Me! Me!

If i had a nightmarish choice to make...

On one side you have all 106 returned episodes hanging over a giant shredder and on the other side you have 'The Day of the Doctor' hanging over another giant shredder. You can only save one or the other. The loser will be lost forever.

I know what I'd be saving!

Clue- it would make Levine cry enough tears to fill the Atlantic.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    serton wrote: »
    IF this is the case, that further episodes depend on the sales of those announced tomorrow, I am planting my flag now and saying, sorry but I wont be helping towards the new episodes!

I refuse to double dip DVD as well as online.

However, seriously? I rather doubt they would do that since Doctor Who is one of their biggest properties and the opportunity to get these DVDs released and then re release them on whatever formats are in the future. Crystal, in ear plugins, or whatever is 20 years down the line again, is probably too much for them to resist.

How accurate has Ian Levine been in the past? He always strikes me as some one who pretends to know more than he actually does and blows a little hot but I could be wrong (so strike me down if I am)

I agree, i don't like downloading them online, i raver just get the DVDs. Plus everyone isn't rich like Levine so we can't all buy multiple copy's!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I cant see how recovery of episodes would be linked to sales, unless the person recovering episodes has said they want a cut of the sales.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    This story IS big. Its even made the Daily Mash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooooh! Me! Me! Me!

If i had a nightmarish choice to make...

On one side you have all 106 returned episodes hanging over a giant shredder and on the other side you have 'The Day of the Doctor' hanging over another giant shredder. You can only save one or the other. The loser will be lost forever.

I know what I'd be saving!

Clue- it would make Levine cry enough tears to fill the Atlantic.

Oh blimey, I really don't know how to decide. Can't I just have the easier one where I have to decide which woman is a babies mother? That I can do, but deciding between new and old Who, that's just so unethical to me :(
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    They could also offer them an incentive to sign a voluntary agreement, I guess. It's difficult to think what the incentive would be though; they'd be idiots if it were something as obvious as "sign a full NDA, learn the genuine facts" since that'd basically guarantee a leak.

I think it speaks volumes that when the Mirror article came out, the major players such as Restoration Team members, DWM staff, all came out and rubbished it.. But since the radio times article and then the bbc story, they have all disappeared, just no posts or tweets at all. I think they were under unofficial gagging orders, and now it's semi official they just don't know if they can speak or not..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    Oh blimey, I really don't know how to decide. Can't I just have the easier one where I have to decide which woman is a babies mother? That I can do, but deciding between new and old Who, that's just so unethical to me :(

Haha!just messing. Thankfully a dilemma no one will face. I think...it would be the new for me.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's clearly been a LOT of mis-information and mis-direction put out over last few months (years maybe) and also leaks that seem to have caused a lot of upset between individuals and organistions, probably exacerbated by delays. I don't know if the full picture will be revealed tomorrow, it may take some time to unravel the truth but hopefully things will be much clearer by the weekend.
  • Options
    Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I was just talking to the wife about the discovery of some missing episodes.

"I hope they are ones with David Tennant in", she says.

What do you reckon BBC Enterprises will release these one episode at a time, as an extra on special edition re-release of every DVD released so far? That should keep them going for another decade or so.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I cant see how recovery of episodes would be linked to sales, unless the person recovering episodes has said they want a cut of the sales.

Or, as has already been hinted at, the person recovering episodes is charging the BBC for them. In this instance, there would be very limited supplies with which the BBC could pay and this may limit the amount of episodes they have been able to purchase so far.

I've read somewhere that any physical copies out there are legally owned by whoever currently holds them (i.e. If I bought a reel at a car boot, that reel would legally belong to me)

Whilst the BBC technically owns the copyright and the content, the legal owner of the physical copy is under no obligation to just hand over what is their own personal legal property. This is why the BBC have borrowed discovered episodes in the past, copied them, and then returned the original physical copy to their legal owner(s) to keep.

If the legal owner decides to charge the BBC for the physical tapes, the BBC would have to oblige and pay the going rate or simply not have the episodes returned.

From all the rumours so far regarding negotiations, I think this is a plausible explanation and - if this is what is explained tomorrow (!) - I would happily pay to download any newly discovered releases as it may be the only way the BBC can afford to pay for others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    So I was just talking to the wife about the discovery of some missing episodes.

"I hope they are ones with David Tennant in", she says.

What do you reckon BBC Enterprises will release these one episode at a time, as an extra on special edition re-release of every DVD released so far? That should keep them going for another decade or so.
    Luckily they released the new ones onto DVD, otherwise i wouldnt put it past the BBC to have lost some of the new episodes already:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This could put an Indiana Jones film to shame. (well Crystal Skull anyways)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or, as has already been hinted at, the person recovering episodes is charging the BBC for them. In this instance, there would be very limited supplies with which the BBC could pay and this may limit the amount of episodes they have been able to purchase so far.

I've read somewhere that any physical copies out there are legally owned by whoever currently holds them (i.e. If I bought a reel at a car boot, that reel would legally belong to me)

Whilst the BBC technically owns the copyright and the content, the legal owner of the physical copy is under no obligation to just hand over what is their own personal legal property. This is why the BBC have borrowed discovered episodes in the past, copied them, and then returned the original physical copy to their legal owner(s) to keep.

If the legal owner decides to charge the BBC for the physical tapes, the BBC would have to oblige and pay the going rate or simply not have the episodes returned.

From all the rumours so far regarding negotiations, I think this is a plausible explanation and - if this is what is explained tomorrow (!) - I would happily pay to download any newly discovered releases as it may be the only way the BBC can afford to pay for others.

i think it only fair that someone spending a good deal of their own time finding these episodes should be included in any sales from then onwards.

i see both sides of the coin, if i found every episode tucked away in the attic, i certainly wouldnt walk into the BBC and drop them off allowing them to make money out of it.
    I'd either want an upfront fee, or a cut of any sales of those episodes from then on, but i wouldn't want a repeat fee, so the episodes could be played on-air for fans, but if they are making money, id want a cut.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just so long as any newly recovered episodes eventually make it to DVD that's the main thing.

As it stands I'm of the opinion that the total number of episodes founds will be at the lower end of the scale