2013 Christmas Shopping thread!

Comments

• tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Esensuelle wrote: »
    It's all about preparation, not everyone wants to or can afford to start their shop in December.

Spot on.

I'm very fortunate that I only really have to buy for a handful of people and don't have to buy for any children either. For the last few years I've been saying I want to start earlier, so this year I did. I've been getting the clothes gifts out of the way to begin with: I don't care much for buying jumpers and woollen stuff as gifts, and that's a large percentage of stock in the shops at Christmas. The choice of clothes is so much better during the spring/summer months I find, even down to jeans.

I managed to get some nice gifts for two of the more awkward people I buy for from one of the workplace bookseller companies.

I've decided to do more online shopping this year too. For someone who shops online throughout the year I tend to do very little at Christmas. Not sure why, so that's changing this year!
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Or you could concede that you've come to your senses and realised that xmas shopping in December is a ****ing nightmare!!! Plus spreading the cost over 2-3 months makes good financial sense.

That's my opinion down to a tee as well. I'm normally nursing or trying to stave off a chest or throat infection in December too, which is far from ideal when you've got to go shopping.

I've always been organised for Christmas shopping (for a bloke at any rate) and the last few years I've devoted 2 evenings to late night shopping as soon as the shops in the nearest city and out of town mall begin their proper late night shopping hours. This normally falls on the second week of December; my friends think I'm mad, but I'd rather just spend 5 hours in one night getting everything I need in town than what they do, which is making several mini trips during the month up to Christmas Eve in some cases!

I can understand why some people start their Christmas shopping really early on in the year.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,041
    Forum Member
    I don't usually buy anything this early but this year I've bought my granddaughter's presents. Her mum gave us a list of the things she liked and what has already been bought for her, so I knew I'd be able to get her something she wanted.
    She wanted a FurReal kitten and I got one off the internet much cheaper than the shops. I was lucky I got the exact one (Daisy) she wants as they do a few different types. I thought it best to get it early just in case there was a problem with getting one nearer Christmas and while I had the money. So no disappointment of not being able to get one. Also bought her a children's make-up set and a set to make sparkly tattoos. Again bought off the internet as they were a lot cheaper.

I think I'll be getting most things off the internet, this year, as you do save a lot of money. Plus there's not really a lot of choice in local shops and as I don't drive it's a right pain trying to get home on buses loaded up with bags.
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've left in two specifically requested perfumes,one pair of trainers, two small purses for teens that I'll pop a few quid into ,swim shorts and new flip-flops for my OH,and a couple of tee shirts .
    Plus a bone shaped tin to fill with doggy treats and a couple of Kong doggy toys for our little mutt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done quite a bit. I love buying people presents
  • MusicAndTVMusicAndTV Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive bought one thing so far - a bottle of Beyonce Heat perfume for my mum, she loves it and I got it in a Boots sale.
    I don't properly start my Xmas shopping until the first weekend in December - It's usually online shopping that I start, and this year ill only be going into the high street to get clothing gifts and confectionery.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am another who likes to be organised. I like to enjoy the month of December, eating mince pies, drinking mulled wine and watching Christimas movies on Sky back to back. I hate the thought of battling with the crowds and the queues in December. I also couldn't afford to do the shop in one hit. To me December is organising and paying for the food. I like the pressies to be bought and wrapped by end of November.

So - I am on holiday next week and I am planning a trip to Norwich to make a dent in the shopping. I have a small amount of money saved and no ideas whatsoever as to what im buying for anyone. I am going with an open mind and I hope to see lots gifts that catch my eye.

I can't wait.

Edited to say - my boss leaves his shopping until about the 18th December and then orders online. He is hopping up and down when his gifts don't arrive to be placed under the tree and his blood pressures rises significantly. Take the mickey out of organised folk .... but at least my heart rate stays healthy.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I am another who likes to be organised. I like to enjoy the month of December, eating mince pies, drinking mulled wine and watching Christimas movies on Sky back to back. I hate the thought of battling with the crowds and the queues in December. I also couldn't afford to do the shop in one hit. To me December is organising and paying for the food. I like the pressies to be bought and wrapped by end of November.

So - I am on holiday next week and I am planning a trip to Norwich to make a dent in the shopping. I have a small amount of money saved and no ideas whatsoever as to what im buying for anyone. I am going with an open mind and I hope to see lots gifts that catch my eye.

I can't wait.

Edited to say - my boss leaves his shopping until about the 18th December and then orders online. He is hopping up and down when his gifts don't arrive to be placed under the tree and his blood pressures rises significantly. Take the mickey out of organised folk .... but at least my heart rate stays healthy.

People who take the micky out of organised ople come across as jealous because there so not so well organized imo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    People who take the micky out of organised ople come across as jealous because there so not so well organized imo

I know a few people who talk about leaving it all till xmas eve, like that makes them dead cool. :yawn: They only have about 3 presents to buy...
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Bought a watch and some lego for my lad :)

and will be shortly be buying some Chanel Bleu for the fella; smells so awesome!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not as organised as usual. I've bought a DVD and a Miss Piggy doll. I'm off this week so hopefully I'll make a good dint in my xmas savings! I like to have all presents bought before December.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today I bought some Minnie Mouse roller skates for my friends little girl and a Fijit for my other friends daughter. Good old Home Bargains!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i nearly finished my xmas shopping, just got a few little bits to get :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to be very organised this year as I go into hospital on 11 December for an operation...

So far I've managed to get all 10 childrens' presents in my family... now for the adults.
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I heard that chocolate was going to double in price, so I've bought some boxes of chocolates while they were on offer. I have also got a couple of bottles of champagne while they were reduced in price.

The trick now is not to succumb to the temptation of eating or drinking any as I have bought them so far in advance of Christmas!!!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Bought a Decleor men's skincare set for my BF and a Breaking Bad DVD set for my brother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I heard that chocolate was going to double in price, so I've bought some boxes of chocolates while they were on offer.!

go to pound land :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    Got most of Christmas shopping like toys and clothes for small children in family aftershaves and perfumes for teenagers
    Boxes and tubs of chocolate just need to get a few more presents for my parents and partner and food shopping
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing - I wait until I get the November paycheque, and I don't get that until the 29th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a curling wand for my friends Secret Santa present.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is going terribly so far! So far I've got one set of my aunts/uncles a 'Mexican train' dominoes game, and I've got my brother a t-shirt and pre-ordered Jimmy Carr's new DVD.

I'm completely lacking inspiration. No idea what to get my dad, my other aunts/uncles, or my cousins; and got a couple of ideas for my best friend but can't find anything quite right. :(
  • TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I hope my family aren't reading this (who am I kidding, course they won't). Instead of getting them the typical materialistic jewelery and books and games / DVDs / clothes and accessories, I've gone for days out and one-off events so that we can all enjoy the experience. Like I've got my Dad and younger brother tickets to see Top Gear Live in Glasgow in January; I've booked my Mum in for a day spa break; and my Dad and I will go and watch a football match together. If I've got enough cash left over, I'll let my brother pick a concert he wants to go and see, and take my Dad on a sailing holiday. All nice happy memories that will last longer than a plastic piece of tack.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope my family aren't reading this (who am I kidding, course they won't). Instead of getting them the typical materialistic jewelery and books and games / DVDs / clothes and accessories, I've gone for days out and one-off events so that we can all enjoy the experience. Like I've got my Dad and younger brother tickets to see Top Gear Live in Glasgow in January; I've booked my Mum in for a day spa break; and my Dad and I will go and watch a football match together. If I've got enough cash left over, I'll let my brother pick a concert he wants to go and see, and take my Dad on a sailing holiday. All nice happy memories that will last longer than a plastic piece of tack.

Wow - expensive pressies :eek:

I have now finished my shopping (apart from stocking fillers). I have bought:-

Dad - Some thick bed socks from Fat Face with grippers on the bottom. He suffers with cold feet.
    A letter opener with a handmade glass handle
    A new fun Christmas game to play on the day called 'Pass the Bomb'. It sounded like fun after a few drinkies.

Mum - Some socks as above
    A small leather purse which she specifically asked for
    A jigsaw puzzle as she is addicted.

Hubby - A watch he liked
    A bottle of Smirnoff Black vodka
    A head torch thingy for dog walking which he keeps mentioning

Aunt - Soap set

Dogs - various toys

Sister - 6 bottles of plonk

X Brother in Law - a vintage bottle of port

Neice - A lovely silver necklace

Nephew - An aftershave gift set

I haven't bought / written cards yet or wrapped anything. I might make a start this weekend as im at home alone.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    just got the most of mine ..I'm going to get some small manicure sets to add to couple of female gifts..and then it's just the tins of chocs that I always add to the gifts for family and friends..just bought one tin this morning so only a few more of those
  • TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Wow - expensive pressies :eek:

I have now finished my shopping (apart from stocking fillers). I have bought:-

Dad - Some thick bed socks from Fat Face with grippers on the bottom. He suffers with cold feet.
    A letter opener with a handmade glass handle
    A new fun Christmas game to play on the day called 'Pass the Bomb'. It sounded like fun after a few drinkies.

Mum - Some socks as above
    A small leather purse which she specifically asked for
    A jigsaw puzzle as she is addicted.

Hubby - A watch he liked
    A bottle of Smirnoff Black vodka
    A head torch thingy for dog walking which he keeps mentioning

Aunt - Soap set

Dogs - various toys

Sister - 6 bottles of plonk

X Brother in Law - a vintage bottle of port

Neice - A lovely silver necklace

Nephew - An aftershave gift set

I haven't bought / written cards yet or wrapped anything. I might make a start this weekend as im at home alone.

Aha, no, I owe them for years of crappy birthday / Father's day / Mother's Day gifts. It's about snapping up deals on Red Letter Days, sites like Groupon... and of course, careful saving and cutbacks on my own cost-of-living expenses.

Not as costly as you might think, especially if you spread the cost out over several months. That includes possibly selling my car (which I don't need now that I'm at uni) :)