Options

The Romanovs

Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Russian Royal family-always interested me, ever since I saw the movie 'Anastasia' as a kid ^_^ (don't laugh, it got me interested in the real deal in later life anyway :p).

Their story is so interesting and ultimately quite tragic, wondered if any other History nerds like myself are interested in their story?

I really think the makers of 'the tudors' and 'the borgias' should do a Romanov series now, it'd be brilliant!

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Russian Royal family-always interested me, ever since I saw the movie 'Anastasia' as a kid ^_^ (don't laugh, it got me interested in the real deal in later life anyway :p).

Their story is so interesting and ultimately quite tragic, wondered if any other History nerds like myself are interested in their story?

I really think the makers of 'the tudors' and 'the borgias' should do a Romanov series now, it'd be brilliant!

So, history wouldn't be at the foremost of such a programme then?

It is an interesting story though, and the recent BBC documentaries about the Royal Cousins was very good.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah - it was kinda tragic that Nicholas totally believed in the autocratic system with the zsar having great political power yet he himself hated holding that role and was incredibly crap at it. As a constitutional monarch he probably would have been great.. but instead it all ended in disaster.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    So, history wouldn't be at the foremost of such a programme then?

It is an interesting story though, and the recent BBC documentaries about the Royal Cousins was very good.

One of the best I've seen on the BBC for a long time.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Their story is really tragic..if Russia had kept them they'd have been better off long term maybe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic in terms of the family's ending I meant.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Robert K. Massie's book on them is about the best, and most accurate, but the final bit after they are all dead, has proved to be inaccurate in light of most of their bodies being found.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a coincidence, I was in Waterstones yesterday and bought 2 books, 'Nicholas and Alexandra' by Massie, and 'The Murder of the Romanovs' which complements the Massie biography nicely as it has an in depth account including the rediscovery of the bodies. Nicholas seemed like a nice man temperamentally unsuited to the job of autocrat, which he stubbornly held on to the bitter end, unfortunately the assassination of his grandfather Tsar Alexander II put a stop to reform that might have developed into constitutional monarchy, and ultimately the demise of the Russian monarchy.

In reference to my hat thread, I like the bowler hat that Tsar Nicholas is wearing in this group photo (second on the left, no.5) :)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haimophilia - for which queen victoria was the "man carrier" - was a major cause of their downfall and a contributory factor of the bolshevik revolution .......

....... there is a good movie with tom baker as rasputin. occasionally on telly. no doubt will crop up on bbc 2 as part of the great war centenary .......
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a drama series based on the Romanovs. I totally agree OP, they are a fascinating family and tragic when you think about how things ended for them.

On another note, I love the Anastasia movie too! I'm assuming you mean the cartoon one with all the gorgeous songs? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting how post-USSR, Russia has reverted to Imperial names eg St Petersburg, Ekaterinberg, and that the Russian imperial heraldry of the double headed eagle (which i think looks very :cool: ) has been resurrected.

I also think the autocratic rule in Russia has not really changed - Putin is very much in the tradition of the Tsar, as were Stalin and Brezhnev.. I suppose it's unrealistic to expect that centuries of autocratic political culture can be changed overnight by democracy.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    haimophilia - for which queen victoria was the "man carrier" - was a major cause of their downfall and a contributory factor of the bolshevik revolution .......

Care to elaborate on this new theory ?

Rasputin's influence on the Romanov family has been much exaggerated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    Their story is really tragic..if Russia had kept them they'd have been better off long term maybe
    Just imagine no Stalin... no Cold War... the Romanovs visiting their British cousins at Sandringham...

No chance of a restoration though. The annihilation of the Tsar and his immediate family and many of the Grand Dukes mean that the current claimants are rather tenuous pretenders, and no one left surviving who was born pre-revolution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Anastasia' is a lovely film, some really lovely songs and many assume it's Disney, it's not. Apparently at the time it got a bashing for historical inaccuracy but it a film made for kids and the film-makers used the story as a backdrop, rather than recreate a brand new character who was estranged from her family etc.

I am planning to read some books on them too. The new one out ('Nicholas & Alexander') apparently is quite heavy reading and quite long, so I don't know whether to go for something a little shorter first because I'm a newcomer :D

Apparently HBO are making a mini-series about Rasputin and showing him in a GOOD light (not a villain etc as he's somehow become).
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care to elaborate on this new theory ?

Rasputin's influence on the Romanov family has been much exaggerated.

Wasn't it that Rasputin was the only one who could give the little lad some relief when he was in pain? I have no idea how he did it but it certainly meant that Rasputin had great power over the Tzarin who always looked to him with desperation to help her son. Problem was that Rasputin was a profligate and drunk as well as apparently whoremonger. People were well aware of that and could simply not understand what his influence was with the Tzarin. The Tzarevitch's illness was kept from the public, so outwardly there seemed to be no explanation as to why this villain Rasputin was tolerated at court. There were even rumours that he and Alexandra were lovers.
    Of course this business was not the reason for the downfall of the Tzar, but it certainly added fire to the flames of revolution and made Alexandra even more hated than she already was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's right. Rasputin treated The Tsar's son and obviously something must've worked for him to be a more permanent fixture.

Just had a look on wikipedia and in 1996 there was a HBO film called 'Rasputin - dark servant of destiny' starring Ian Mckellen and Alan Rickman, however it's going for £39.99 on amazon! And bits are on YouTube but I hate watching it all cut up. Looks pretty good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was also that recent documentary on Faberge eggs on BBC4 which was very interesting. Nicholas ordered an egg for his wife every Easter right up until he was deposed. They seemed a very loving couple devoted to each other :) The Romanov fortune was fabulous, some of it was acquired by the British Royal family when they were sold off after the revolution.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes indeed. putin is very much in the romanov mold. his anti gay agena included .......

.... marx expected world communist revolution to start in germany. which it very nearly did except for teddy roosevelts intervention .....
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Just imagine no Stalin... no Cold War... the Romanovs visiting their British cousins at Sandringham...

No chance of a restoration though. The annihilation of the Tsar and his immediate family and many of the Grand Dukes mean that the current claimants are rather tenuous pretenders, and no one left surviving who was born pre-revolution.

Without Stalin and Communism it's highly likely that Hitler would've won World War Two.

If you want to erase someone from history for the good of all then it's probably Karl Marx. Without him it's doubtful that Hitler would ever have gained power in Germany or been given such an easy ride by England, France and the USA. Without Marx we would've had no World War Two, no vile Chairman Mao, no Vietnam or Korean Wars.

Communism has been at the root of the most enormous amount of evil.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you know that Rasputin's penis has been preserved in a jar? Don't ask me how I know this useless piece of information ;-)
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is, if Victoria was a carrier for Haemophilia, why hasn't it shown up anywhere else in the Royal family?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, if Victoria was a carrier for Haemophilia, why hasn't it shown up anywhere else in the Royal family?

The lottery of genetics meant that her son Edward VII didn't have it, and the daughters & granddaughters who were carriers married into other royalty and affected them instead. Thus sparing the British royal family.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you know that Rasputin's penis has been preserved in a jar? Don't ask me how I know this useless piece of information ;-)

That was fake. ;-)

DNA analysis showed it to be a preserved sea cucumber.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without Stalin and Communism it's highly likely that Hitler would've won World War Two.

If you want to erase someone from history for the good of all then it's probably Karl Marx. Without him it's doubtful that Hitler would ever have gained power in Germany or been given such an easy ride by England, France and the USA. Without Marx we would've had no World War Two, no vile Chairman Mao, no Vietnam or Korean Wars.

Communism has been at the root of the most enormous amount of evil.

But if WW1 hadn't occurred, most likely the Romanovs, Hohenzollerns and Hapsburgs would have survived. Hitler would have died in obscurity as a frustrated failed artist, and Lenin and Stalin would have been sent to the Siberian gulags by the Tsarist secret police :cool:

The chief cause for Mao's rise to power was Western & Japanese encroachment on China resulting in the fall of the Qing dynasty.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »

The way the people were treated at that time was pretty tragic, which is why they rose up.
    All these monarchy stories play down the plight of the workers who the royals live off.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    That was fake. ;-)

DNA analysis showed it to be a preserved sea cucumber.

It doesn't actually look normal but then again who is normal?:)