Options

keep waking up 2-3 times during the night. any advice for getting better sleep?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am not stressed; I'm not worrying about anything; but the only thing it could be is, I've had an erratic sleep pattern. One night I'll go bed at around 11pm, then the next night I might go to bed a bit later, say, 12am or 1am.

I go gym 4/5 times a week and I'll feel tired when I get home, but I will still get limited sleep. I am just wondering if there's any home remedies I can use to improve my sleep.

Any ideas, guys?

Comments

• Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have given up trying to solve my sleep problems. As a small child I would be up all night reading books or sketching. My parents thought I was over-active but I think I am just one of those people who doesn't need as much sleep as others. I've decided I'll do my sleeping when I'm dead. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Lavender oil on the pillow, have a warm bath, and turn off the internet/TV for 30 minutes before bed.
  • Options
    kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Why is it that I can fall asleep on the settee with the tv on, but when I hike myself off to bed it is ages before I drop off. :confused:
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    How late are you going to the gym? I went to the doctors for similar as I was waking up and was really knackered - she told me to stop exercising after 7 - even if the exercise is tiring you out it's giving you a buzz (I don't know the right terminology!) and may stop you relaxing properly to enable you to get that deep sleep and stop you waking up
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It varies; some days I go to the gym in the morning and other days I go later in the afternoon around 2-3pm. I rarely go to the gym after 5pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When do you have your evening meal? Eating late can interfere with sleep.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    When do you have your evening meal? Eating late can interfere with sleep.

Yes, eating late (before bedtime) can interfere with the first half of your night's sleep, and late alcohol can interfere with the second half of it.

However, it's normal to wake up for a while after 3 or 4 hours and then eventually drift off again.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two Piritons (cetrizine hydrochloride) and a couple of litres of cider normally does the trick. Either that or a bottle of Night Nurse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I heard some advice on a radio show recently but can't remember which one. It was from someone who carries out research in a sleep lab. He said that taking your mobile phone to bed kept you thinking about whether you had any messages, and so you couldn't stay asleep, but had to keep waking up to check. His advice was not to have your phone with you at night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Two Piritons (cetrizine hydrochloride) and a couple of litres of cider normally does the trick. Either that or a bottle of Night Nurse.
    Seriously? :o
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I've had a skinfull to drink I never sleep right through the night. I would say that waking up 2 or 3 times is fairly normal to me. It would only be a problem if you cannot get back to sleep quickly but I usually just turn over and I'm asleep again straight away.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Unless I've had a skinfull to drink I never sleep right through the night. I would say that waking up 2 or 3 times is fairly normal to me. It would only be a problem if you cannot get back to sleep quickly but I usually just turn over and I'm asleep again straight away.

I agree and more at times. Are there many adults who sleep solidly? :confused:
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

I wonder this. I wake up most nights, sometimes staying awake for up to an hour before drifting off again, yet my friends think this is insane and wonder how I cope in life?? I assumed this was pretty normal!
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regiment your bedtime. Avoid electronic devices phones and computers for an hour before bed. The displays interfere with meletonin production. Dark curtains over your windows if you have lights or road traffic to contend with.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few things you can do:

* Keep to a strict timetable. Always go to bed at the same time.
    * Don't drink caffeine within three hours of bedtime.
    * Don't read or watch TV in bed.

It is fairly normal to wake up after three or four hours especially as you get older. If you go to the loo you should be able to fall back asleep pretty quickly.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? :o
    It was obviously tongue in cheek, but anti-hystamines can be useful in aiding a good night's sleep, in fact the resident doctor in a broadsheet newspaper once suggested that it was better than using sedatives. The only thing to remember is to go to bed a little earlier than usual, because they can make you a bit slugging when you wake up, although not excessively so. Alcohol certainly makes it more effective, but it would be counter productive to drink so much that you needed to get up in the middle of the night. Remember to buy the cetrizine type and not one of the non-drowsy formulations.

I've heard of Night Nurse being recommended as a cure-all for almost everything, although I haven't actually tried it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was obviously tongue in cheek, but anti-hystamines can be useful in aiding a good night's sleep, in fact the resident doctor in a broadsheet newspaper once suggested that it was better than using sedatives. The only thing to remember is to go to bed a little earlier than usual, because they can make you a bit slugging when you wake up, although not excessively so. Alcohol certainly makes it more effective, but it would be counter productive to drink so much that you needed to get up in the middle of the night. Remember to buy the cetrizine type and not one of the non-drowsy formulations.

I've heard of Night Nurse being recommended as a cure-all for almost everything, although I haven't actually tried it :D
    Isn't Nytol an antihistamine?

I've only ever had Night Nurse when I've had a chest infection, but it's worth every penny.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't vary your bedtime, even at weekends. Lavender oil on edge of pillow. Try to still your mind. I think of the colour blue. Try a herbal tablet called Good Night. That knocks me out but I don't use if I have to set an alarm clock. It makes me groggy and it is best if you can come to in your own time. Not too much booze or food that takes a lot of digesting.
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    It's normal for me too. Doesn't seem to do me any harm, so I don't stress about it.
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Nytol an antihistamine?

I've only ever had Night Nurse when I've had a chest infection, but it's worth every penny.

Yes Nytol is an antihistamine, and Night Nurse also contains an anthistamine.

Piriton is chlorphenamine not cetirizine as someone said before. Cetirizine won't help you sleep.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Historically speaking, it was more natural for humans to have segmented sleep - this ended with the rise of electricity, industrialization and the like..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

People waking up in the middle of the night really shouldn't worry so much - not least because that will make it worse, but it's actually 'natural' to have a break in your sleep.

After reading that article I decided to try it out and make a conscious effort to get up for 30 minutes during the night (day for me, as I'm a night-worker).

I've never felt more rested!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

I usually wake up a couple of times during the night but usually drift of quickly again. I find I have a better sleep overall if I wake up now and then. If I have a really deep, uninterrupted sleep I often wake up very groggy.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the tips on this thread are useless to be honest, but some of them are hilariously useless - especially people recommending non-sedative antihistamines - the clue is in the title ;)

I have used sedating antihistamines with great effects in the past. Promethazine (Phenergan) is one - used to work on me very, very well as a kid (used to beg mum for it in medicine form as a kid - have had sleep issues my entire life) but I can take 3 or 4 tablets of it now and it does nothing. Similarly, diphenhydramine was another favourite of mine, I used to take 100mg a night (the max dose is 50mg but, as insomniacs will agree on, sometimes you're desperate for some shut eye) every night for a few months, I had heard the body grows tolerant after only 3 or 4 days, but amazingly, it took months for me to get fully tolerant. I don't use it much now at all, but when I do it is unpredictable. Sometimes I take 100mg and I'm out like a light and other times I can take 50mg or 100mg and it doesn't do a thing. I'm not sure how the tolerance works but it doesn't seem to be a blanket thing of once you're tolerant, there's no going back - similarly, I can go for months without taking it, and you'd assume the tolerance would wear off after all that time... but I can take it after abstaining for months and it still not work. 3 days later and it might. It is very unpredictable how the tolerance etc. works.

I am about to start trying doxylamine instead and see if that helps. I am not too optimistic. Maybe diphenhydramine will work if I couple it with some doxylamine.

I should also say, before people think I am obsessed with anti-histamines for sleep, that I have actually tried prescription drugs -- and they didn't work for me! Anti-histamines WHEN they work, work 100% better than prescription drugs (that didn't work at all for me) - unfortunately they're just not useful long term 'cos of the tolerance aspect.

Also in that paragraph I mean prescription drugs I was personally prescribed - which were the Z drugs. Useless on me. I've bought some nitrazepam before and seroquel and that seems to work pretty well, but I am not comfortable taking either of them long term. I think this is the problem with insomnia (OP, you don't have insomnia by the sounds of it, I am just ranting because it's what I do, and sleep issues get me riled! :@), none of the drugs etc. are great long term - most are a week or two of use at most. Stuff like seroquel you can use for longer but then that opens up the possibility of other problems. There is no long term solution yet for insomnia which sucks.

Maybe try diphenhydramine and just use it once a week or so if you get really tired and NEED some proper sleep without waking up all night? Just don't build tolerance by using it all the time like me.

I should also say that it goes to show how personal stuff like this is. Lavender oil on my pillow would do the opposite of make me sleep, just give me a massive migraine! I can't even sleep very well in a clean bed that has just had the bedding washed - the stench of washing powder and fabric softener overpowers me. I much prefer it after 4 or 5 days of being slept in!
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kania wrote: »
    Why is it that I can fall asleep on the settee with the tv on, but when I hike myself off to bed it is ages before I drop off. :confused:

All the crap that's on TV is enough to send anyone to sleep.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I have a few constructive suggestions:

1. Try these tips here http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/how-to-sleep/sleep-tips/ first of all and I'd suggest trying to regularise your bed time so that you set up a routine.
    2. The next stage is to go to the chemist and ask for a gentle, but effective, sleep inducer such as Sominex.
    3. If none of the above then I'd suggest going to the GP and getting a short term course of sleeping tablets so you can get into a regular and undisturbed sleeping pattern.

PS for ChickenWings - I have found doxylamine succinate (Kirkland Sleep Aid) to be a most effective sleep inducer for occasional use and I find that just one quarter of a 25mg tablet works for me.