Charity it begins at home

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supporting charities is of course a good thing..
    .its when you look up the salaries the fat cats running them are raking in that is questionable
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    That's not charity, that's just the basic expectations of parenting.

It's kind of ridiculous. By all means look after your family but its not charity, just making sure their basic needs are met.

Charity is about helping people who might not necessarily have the means to help themselves for whatever reason (which more often than not is out of their control).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title reminded me of the Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: "Exploitation begins at home." :D*

While I don't give money to charity, I do volunteer work at a charity shop as an electronics tester. It's one other way I can help instead of donating. Granted, it's not exactly selfless though as I get experience in a shop environment out of it... but it helps. :blush:

Edit : * Not saying I think charity = exploitation, it's just what the title reminded me of.
    Edit2: Eh, I might have dug myself in a hole... nevermind, doesn't matter.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Supporting charities is of course a good thing..
    .its when you look up the salaries the fat cats running them are raking in that is questionable

Charities can be massive organisations. The salary packages at the top are less than the private sector, and you're not going to get an experienced CEO for tuppence.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chynapearl wrote: »
    Charity my money and my time go to my loved ones first - and i defy anyone else who thinks differently - no way would i put someone elses welfare before my own flesh and blood

Errr.....has anyone here, or elsewhere, suggested to you that they would put someone else's welfare before their own kids?:confused:
  • chynapearlchynapearl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    We are in the very fortunate position that we live in the 1st world and virtually all of our basic needs are being met, however what about those who are less fortunate than us through no fault to their own, do we just stick two fingers up to them and say 'tough shit'?

OP you post is quite ambiguous, are you saying all you care about is your family and everyone/thing else can go ans swivel or are you saying that the main priority is to look after your own first and if you have a few pounds to spare you give it to charity? If it;s the latter I'd imagine most people are the same is the same, but if you make a point of not giving to charity because you only care about yourself and your family then I'm sorry
    but I think that's very selfish.

The latter of course - just like anyone else - and yes i do know how lucky i am living in a affulent society - but people look after their own first - no matter where they come from. I actually think its shocking the amount of foods supermarkets waste - there should be a war on waste as well as want
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    From what I've read OP you're feeling pressed to join in the bare faced selfie currently swamping FB. I understand that to be honest, I'm not doing it myself, but when you get tagged you feel you have to explain to the person who tagged you why not.

Having lost my sister to cancer almost 3yrs ago now I setup in business and donate a percentage of sales to various charities (mainly cancer related). These charities can be a local one to get life saving medical treatment for a young 8yr old girl with neuroblastoma, to the local hospice, and many others. You don't need to choose a large one if you feel your donation will get swallowed by running the charity. But we all need to understand that charities do have running costs.

My family will always come first, but even so I'm still lucky to be able to give a few bob here and there. And if that helps address the inequalities in life then I'm happy with that. There but for the grace of God and all that.
    Forum Member
    Well then what is your issue? Most people only give when they want to, when they can afford it and when their own needs have been met.

read through the thread not once did i say i didnt give to charity or not give a toss for others . Ive known what its like to live hand to mouth . Even then it ewas about our survival. You cant give to others if it puts you in the same boat as them
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    read through the thread not once did i say i didnt give to charity or not give a toss for others . Ive known what its like to live hand to mouth . Even then it ewas about our survival. You cant give to others if it puts you in the same boat as them

So, again, what's the problem?
  • superbass88superbass88 Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latter of course - just like anyone else - and yes i do know how lucky i am living in a affulent society - but people look after their own first - no matter where they come from. I actually think its shocking the amount of foods supermarkets waste - there should be a war on waste as well as want

So what exactly is the point of this thread? :confused: Basically everyone else does the same, you aren't exclusive in looking out for your own before you help others out.
    Forum Member

the issue is being press ganged into giving if it puts you at a disadvantage - or you do so because your under pressure to do so
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....and justice begins next door.

This is fun. Are we just quoting Dickens or any other writers? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So again, what is the point of this thread?
    Forum Member
    From what I've read OP you're feeling pressed to join in the bare faced selfie currently swamping FB. I understand that to be honest, I'm not doing it myself, but when you get tagged you feel you have to explain to the person who tagged you why not.

Having lost my sister to cancer almost 3yrs ago now I setup in business and donate a percentage of sales to various charities (mainly cancer related). These charities can be a local one to get life saving medical treatment for a young 8yr old girl with neuroblastoma, to the local hospice, and many others. You don't need to choose a large one if you feel your donation will get swallowed by running the charity. But we all need to understand that charities do have running costs.

My family will always come first, but even so I'm still lucky to be able to give a few bob here and there. And if that helps address the inequalities in life then I'm happy with that. There but for the grace of God and all that.

im not going to explain - by being tagged i was put on a spot - i dont wish to donate because i feel i have to
    Forum Member
    So again, what is the point of this thread?

why conttribute if you feel there is no point to this thread - you could be out there rattling a tin
    Forum Member
    ....and justice begins next door.

This is fun. Are we just quoting Dickens or any other writers? :D

justice benefits the very poor and the very rich - thats why people plead gulity to crimes they havent commited - they cant afford not to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why conttribute if you feel there is no point to this thread - you could be out there rattling a tin

Ha, wise up! You have completely changed your original view on this because no one has taken you on, your OP is a fairly forthright post talking about how you only care about yourself and your family and in your latter posts you have started to say you only give when you can which is what everyone else does anyway.
    Forum Member
    I give to a lot of charities from Cancer to children -animals -the staving people across the world every little helps

I don't gets this charity starts at home rubbish plus I find most people who think that way put themselves first every time even over their families

A good friend of mine gave £150.00 a month from her and her hubbys salaries to African charities that their friend was a worker for . Basically they felt guilty and ashamed they they were high earners - she told me so

The husband lost his job and i had the friend in my home in a stae of panic because she couldnt really afford to donate anymore - despite this she continued to do so until it began to eat in to her savings - her words to me were that she could barely afford her mortgage - how was she going to explain to her friend she could not afford to donate anymore without looking mean

my reply : Simple - you tell him you have three babies of your own to feed - charity begins at home
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    im not going to explain - by being tagged i was put on a spot - i dont wish to donate because i feel i have to

So was it this that sparked off your opening POV?
    Forum Member
    Ha, wise up! You have completely changed your original view on this because no one has taken you on, your OP is a fairly forthright post talking about how you only care about yourself and your family and in your latter posts you have started to say you only give when you can which is what everyone else does anyway.

please read through the thread again properly - thank you
    Forum Member
    So was it this that sparked off your opening POV?

quite frankly yes
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justice benefits the very poor and the very rich - thats why people plead gulity to crimes they havent commited - they cant afford not to

OK, I don't know which author that is let alone book.

My point about 'charity begins at home' is that a lot of people fail to realise that Dickens wasn't actually saying it was a good thing.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    please read through the thread again properly - thank you

No, he/she is right - you came on here gunning for a fight that simply hasn't materialised. People know it's a given that you look after your family first, no-one's going to argue that. If you want a flame war start with something more controversial.
    Forum Member
    quite frankly yes

And im not the only one judging by some of the threads on DS
    Forum Member
    OK, I don't know which author that is let alone book.

My point about 'charity begins at home' is that a lot of people fail to realise that Dickens wasn't actually saying it was a good thing.

thank you for educating me :D