• Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Sweden
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum and dad still live in the house I grew up in and I still stay there now and again if I have nights out with my friends from that area. But I don't call it home, it's "my mum and dads". Home is where my husband and kids are, my house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on the Isle of Wight now and I love it but home will always be South Wales. That's where all my family live and I visit as often as I can (never enough). But i'll never move back, I really do love it here too much to give it up.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I've never lived anywhere else than my hometown, so that is most definitely where I class as home.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never lived anywhere other than Peterborough, so I would consider it my home.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Where I live now is home I moved from the town I was born in 17 years ago and have never once looked back I hated the place.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Home is where I live now.

I lived in Croydon, which I regard as hell on earth, until my early 30's. My late parents moved to Milton Keynes (purgatory on earth) a few years after I left home.

When I moved to Sussex 20-odd years ago, I felt as though it was my spiritual home and can't imagine living anywhere else really.

I was born and brought up in Croydon .........................I loved it but it is a totally different place now. Unrecognisable to my 'home town'. I live in NE Lincs now - been here for 26 years - my kids grew up here. I suppose it's home but - I'll never be a Northerner I'm a Southerner at heart.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying, you might nick my washing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents still live in the house I grew up in, and my late grandparents, RIP, aunts and uncle lived in it before/with them, and, my grandmother's late sister, nephews and nieces before my grandparents and their family.

That house is home to me. I've had a lot of other "homes", but they've just been places I've spent time in and had my post delivered to, is how it feels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home is where I live now. I moved so many times as a child I didn't have a hometown, I left there when I was 16 and never lived there again.
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    the middle of northern ireland i suppose
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so I'm starting a new stalking trend...

J/K :D

What I mean is, is home where you live currently, or do you think of where you grew up as home? Do your parents still live in the home you grew up in?

I envy those who can still go back to the house/home they grew up in. We moved around a lot and never stayed in any place for more than 3 or 4 years. The house where my mom and her husband live is probably the closest thing to what I would call 'home', but they moved there when I was 24 so I don't have any special growing up memories associated with it.
    I've never really thought of anywhere as "home" in that sense....

I guess it's where I live now, but if I moved tomorrow I wouldn't get "homesick".

So long as my wife came with me that is :D
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I've never lived anywhere else than my hometown, so that is most definitely where I class as home.

I suppose in a geographical location sense, I would consider the city where I spent the most time as 'home'. That would be Calgary (Canada) for me. In my 42 years, I have only NOT lived there for a total of 10 years. I wasn't born there, that was another couple of thousand miles away, and that still has a special place in my heart too.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home is where my heart is, and my heart is in Seattle. My parents don't live there any more- they moved back to southern Oregon where I was born- but I spent 22 years in the Puget Sound area, graduated from high school, went to university, and made all of my closest friends there. I don't think I'll ever feel at home anywhere else.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester is home now. I don't see where I grew up as home at all.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's odd, isn't it?

I was born, raised, and lived in the same house in Northampton for 18 years. I detested the place, and left home to live in London on my 18th birthday. Yet for many years, when visiting my parents, I always referred to it as "going home".

Parents are both dead, and whilst my sister is still there, I rarely visit. I come out in a rash when I do.

London is home without a shred of doubt. Been here 36 years now. Always get a warm glow driving back from North/West once I see the M25 turn-off. Currently eyeing up the home counties as we attempt to move, and seeing how much more we would get for our money, but I can't see it happening. There has to be a London postcode for me to relax :D
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    My parents moved about lots and I didn't settle anywhere. When I got married we moved 5 times really quick so when oldest son was in first year of school we stopped. Been in this house for 17 years and I still hate the place and village. I've always tried to be the happy person but think my kids picked up on what I was really feeling.The two oldest moved away to nearest town and though they like to visit lots, wouldn't move back here if you paid them. Have teenage daughter still at home (18) and she badly wants to move from this sh** hole of a place (her words) and says when she does she's taking me with her and her dad can stay behind even though me and hubby are happily married and she is daddy's girl. she says he'll follow. I tell him he'll have parties lol. The funny thing is that I would move away but know I wouldn't feel at home. I should have had a caravan lol
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home is two places to me. One is where I live now and the other is where my parents live as that was my home until I moved out.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once confused people at work by stating

"I have to go home before I go home"

What I meant was "I have to go to my house before I visit my parents"
  • Options
    vivelamourvivelamour Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    My parents still live in the house I grew up in but I moved some 200km away almost 20 years ago (God I sound old) to go and live with my then boyfriend (now husband).

I still considered the place where my parents live as home until I had children myself. Now the place where we live with my children is definitely home.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The house I live in. My parents are both dead and, in any case, they moved a couple of hundred miles from the house I grew up in not long after I did. So I never lived in the last 3 houses my parents lived in.
  • Options
    elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    The house where I live now as I have lived in the area for 11 years. My mum still lives in the house where I grew up and go and visit when I can-not always easy as it is over 200 miles away-but I don't really see it as home anymore-I just tell people that I am going to my mum's
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London and the house I grew up in.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    North County Cork - it will always be home to me.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lived in Co. Down now for 14 years.
    I will always see Co. Antrim where i am from as Home though no matter what.