Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    ucra girl wrote: »
    That is the most bizzare thing I have heard in a long long time>:(.Sorry but Tories are really up themselves.This classification would include my son lol.I was recently asked by his school to apply for school dinners.I wasnt aware that he even qualified but I took ill health retirement in 2007 and due to my health cant work so qualify for ESA,a benefit that qualifies you for school dinners.

I can only describe myself as disadvantaged due to being African,immigrant, single parent and minority.But I am a woman with a BA,Msc and 11 yrs of working and middle management in the NHS and in the Red Cross.My daughter his sibling is a graduate(BA) and works in Greenwich University.So what is middle class? What is disadvantaged?How come my daughter is educated?

No way can my son be described as from a disadvanntaged background because of school dinners lol He lives in a household consisting of graduates.

Hi Ucra,

I think this is why this is such a complex issue..... In your case your son isn't disadvantaged at all, but you do come from a family that in theory has a low income.

It just proves to me that statistics are just an indication of how things really are. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found out something really interesting yesterday. Suzanne Collins , the writer who is responsible for writing the Hunger Games Trilogy, is almost exactly the same age as me. She was born on the 10th August 1962!! I thought she was much younger .

so the first film came out, when she was 50. What an amazing 50th year. What with her and the woman who wrote the 50 shades of Grey series, im realising its never too old to become an author.....
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    augusta92 wrote: »
    Hi Ucra,

I think this is why this is such a complex issue..... In your case your son isn't disadvantaged at all, but you do come from a family that in theory has a low income.

It just proves to me that statistics are just an indication of how things really are. :p

Hi augusta.
    It is just a Tory way of looking at society.They have automatic brackets and anyone outside that is 'different'.I can even go further and say that I went to the same University as the Archbishop of York and the same high school as his wife.These are two of the most prestigious academic institutions in Africa.No Tory would put me in that standing or my son in that background lol.

In Uganda I am in a totally different category of society and my own back ground is a non starter in terms of income tbh except my mother is a retired teacher.

It is things like this that make me more determined to make sure my children dont lose touch with who they are.They have to embrace both cultures.

What you need to know about statitics and every researcher will tell you is the results come about because of the variables you set out to measure at the beginning.It is true they are just indicators and in this case the variable was school dinners as an indication of disadvantage and income.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Hi all :)

I'm glad you are happy for nursery children to play Augusta ....that's my view too. Also that the most significant indicator of likely 'success' is parental education and attitude. Hello ucra by the way, long time no see!! :D

Have been very busy with mum again this weekend and ( I feel almost disloyal to the JJAT saying this :blush:) I have spent quite a bit of time on websites devoted to older people's care :o

Yet still found time to watch Liverpool grind out a result against West Ham :cool:

Sleep tight all

Lindy xx
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Good Morning

what a lovely weekend
    went to view the Bungalow my parents are looking to buy
    very pretty and then we went on to Arundel, which is very near by.
    What a beautiful place that is walked along the river, lunch and a little
    light shopping :D

watched the footie, i really think this title race could do me in
    couldn't sit down for most of it
    i've now started to pace with nerves :D

hope all had a good weekend
    just going to read back now
    love Jxxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Hi all :)

I'm glad you are happy for nursery children to play Augusta ....that's my view too. Also that the most significant indicator of likely 'success' is parental education and attitude. Hello ucra by the way, long time no see!! :D

Have been very busy with mum again this weekend and ( I feel almost disloyal to the JJAT saying this :blush:) I have spent quite a bit of time on websites devoted to older people's care :o

Yet still found time to watch Liverpool grind out a result against West Ham :cool:

Sleep tight all

Lindy xx

Phew :D

Mums come first lindy, i've now put it down, as a JJat policy
    take care , hope your mums ok
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Nice to see you ucra, hope all is well with you.

How is everyone?

Don't feel guilty Lindy, you need to get your mother sorted. Can you imagine how long researching things would take without the internet? I sometimes wonder how I managed before it.

I am also pleased about Liverpool - if Arsenal can't be at the top, I am glad Liverpool is. Well done!

Wish I could say the same about the tennis. The commentators thought GB would win the Davis Cup tie but Italy did. Think Andy should not have played the doubles. He looked very tired.

Back to bed for me - have suddenly lost all energy.

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    afternoon all

I had a lovely day .....then came home to the news that Peaches Geldof had died...what tragic news, she is so young.

I am so scared about the care of the elderly.....we seem to be in such a muddle about it, and im partially bemused about how it has all come about. when I was a child it was never an issue as it is now.
    I can remember my grandmother nursing her mother for a couple of months at home, but then she died.. Has this become such an issue as medical advances have increased the likelihood of older people living longer and becoming more frail in conjunction?

Or is it because we have smaller families now, which tend to be more spread out and less likely to support each other and older family members.?

I think our attitudes and houses have also changed. I would love to suggest moving in with my parents as they get older, but my OH doesn't agree at all. my childminder when I was younger had her father in law living with them, and in a way it was ideal, he didn't really need that much care, he was getting older and less mobile but to be honest he loved just sitting in the living room watching the children playing or sleeping.

In a larger rambling house there would easily be room for a couple of generations to co exist. but not in our small modern homes, where space is such a premium.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    afternoon all

I had a lovely day .....then came home to the news that Peaches Geldof had died...what tragic news, she is so young.

I am so scared about the care of the elderly.....we seem to be in such a muddle about it, and im partially bemused about how it has all come about. when I was a child it was never an issue as it is now.
    I can remember my grandmother nursing her mother for a couple of months at home, but then she died.. Has this become such an issue as medical advances have increased the likelihood of older people living longer and becoming more frail in conjunction?

Or is it because we have smaller families now, which tend to be more spread out and less likely to support each other and older family members.?

I think our attitudes and houses have also changed. I would love to suggest moving in with my parents as they get older, but my OH doesn't agree at all. my childminder when I was younger had her father in law living with them, and in a way it was ideal, he didn't really need that much care, he was getting older and less mobile but to be honest he loved just sitting in the living room watching the children playing or sleeping.

In a larger rambling house there would easily be room for a couple of generations to co exist. but not in our small modern homes, where space is such a premium.

Hi Augusta

Agree with you about Peaches Geldof - so sad :cry: May she rest in peace and her children grow up loved and cared for

About the elderly, I think you're pretty much right on all counts! People do live longer now, and hence need more care from a 'younger' generation that is itself not necessarily that hale and hearty :p And I would love to have mum living with us, but we live a life that has next to no routine, and that would be no good for her. She might even be more lonely living with us, than she is in her sheltered housing flat :(

So we will have to resort to paying people to care for her, which I feel in my bones is wrong.....yet it is better than leaving her alone and at risk.

Not an easy situation, however you look at it .......

Have a good week

Lindy xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phew :D

Mums come first lindy, i've now put it down, as a JJat policy
    take care , hope your mums ok

Thank you Georgy, policies are always reassuring! :cool:

Hope you and yours are well :)

And that we both have fingernails left by the end of the season! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all.

Nice to see you ucra, hope all is well with you.

How is everyone?

Don't feel guilty Lindy, you need to get your mother sorted. Can you imagine how long researching things would take without the internet? I sometimes wonder how I managed before it.

I am also pleased about Liverpool - if Arsenal can't be at the top, I am glad Liverpool is. Well done!

Wish I could say the same about the tennis. The commentators thought GB would win the Davis Cup tie but Italy did. Think Andy should not have played the doubles. He looked very tired.

Back to bed for me - have suddenly lost all energy.

Have a good day.

Thanks for the comments about Liverpool nyannie. Sadly Arsenal haven't been doing so well but they are my second favourite team :)

Sorry to hear you are still feeling so tired. Hope you feel better soon and get back on track :)

Lindy xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Hi Augusta

Agree with you about Peaches Geldof - so sad :cry: May she rest in peace and her children grow up loved and cared for

About the elderly, I think you're pretty much right on all counts! People do live longer now, and hence need more care from a 'younger' generation that is itself not necessarily that hale and hearty :p And I would love to have mum living with us, but we live a life that has next to no routine, and that would be no good for her. She might even be more lonely living with us, than she is in her sheltered housing flat :(

So we will have to resort to paying people to care for her, which I feel in my bones is wrong.....yet it is better than leaving her alone and at risk.

Not an easy situation, however you look at it .......

Have a good week

Lindy xx

No, it isn't easy - care of the elderly, but believe me care of the elderly in the UK is much better than it is in US. I speak from personal experience.

I think one of the problems if you can call it a problem is that we are all living longer - and with that comes things like arthritis, rheumatism etc - so that the the 'carers' cannot really care for their elderly relatives because they have health issues too. I speak from experience when I say elderly relatives living with their children is not always a good thing. I have a friend whose mother lived with her and she had no life - really. She went to work and then raced home to care for her mother. No social life and very few friends. Truly awful situation. I wonder if her mother really wanted her to give up her life for her?

There is also the difficulty of the elderly who do not have children or relatives who will care for them. Personally I would rather 'go' than be in a home.

Guilt comes into all of this too I think. We feel we should look after our flesh and blood but to reverse this, do you think the elderly parent would want their children to look after them? I know a few who simply don't want this.

What does annoy me though is the concept of over 55 living. There seem to be so many places opening to cater to this market. This concept and 'sheltered' housing make me so mad. The 'managers' or whatever you want to call them are NOT there 24 hours and don't really do much except look after the buildings. There are a number of 'over-55' housing complexes near here and I know that at least 3 people were asked to leave as they could no longer look after themselves and had to have a carer in. What a con - especially as they have had to buy their flats.

I personally cannot think of anything worse than over 55 living. I want to see people of all ages where I live. If a place is 'sheltered' housing, there should be someone on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week who can deal with emergencies, deliveries etc and who will look in on the residents at least once a day. The whole point of 'sheltered' housing - to my mind at least - is to ensure that the residents are safe and cared for - and living as independently as possible in a safe environment. I just can't get my head around part-time managers in sheltered housing.

The issue is very complex and we each have to do what we feel best. Ageing is no fun for any of us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey all :)

I agree...ageing is no fun! :( And a lot of over 55 facilities offer very little in the way of support.

My mum lives in sheltered housing where the 'warden' calls daily (unless she is sick or on holiday!) from Monday to Friday. Just at the moment she is being very helpful and is going in several times a day to encourage mum to drink, have a sandwich etc. However, she can't do this long term, so unless mum improves (which seems unlikely) we will have to arrange extra care.

Have been to meet some friends today ( first time in ages) and am knackered :o

Am working tomorrow so best get organised......

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone :)

Lindy xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ageing and provision for aged relatives or for people as they age is getting more and more complicated. :-(
    And I agree completely about some of these over 55 supported housing initiatives. I just think somewhere along the line, someone is missing a trick.

By no means would I want to necessarily live with my parents or have my life completely taken over by them, But, its odd to see old people somehow so disregarded and made into a burden for society, almost just objects that just require care and attention rather than people. Surely there is something worthwhile or valuable that they could provide?

Somewhere along the line we seem to have lost something ......like valuing communal living and previous generations. :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what a beautiful sunny day, and instead of the long list of chores to do, like spring cleaning the kitchen cupboards...ive spent the day out with my friend doing aqua aerobics again... Im almost getting fit!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ageing and provision for aged relatives or for people as they age is getting more and more complicated. :-(
    And I agree completely about some of these over 55 supported housing initiatives. I just think somewhere along the line, someone is missing a trick.

By no means would I want to necessarily live with my parents or have my life completely taken over by them, But, its odd to see old people somehow so disregarded and made into a burden for society, almost just objects that just require care and attention rather than people. Surely there is something worthwhile or valuable that they could provide?

Somewhere along the line we seem to have lost something ......like valuing communal living and previous generations. :-(

Have to agree with you - but at least you have care packages and support - even though it may not be as much as is needed. We have to pay for everything - even equipment in the UK.

I think that society is too obsessed with youth - until that changes, think it will be the status quo. I think it is attitudes rather than anything else. If you look at Chinese and Indian cultures for example, many generations live together and older people are valued. Of course there isn't so much freedom for the youth, but there you go.

I also think that older people are doing more than they did a generation ago . It is a very complex issue but one that needs to be sorted out. Did you know that 43% of all hospital beds are taken up by the elderly? Very sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what a beautiful sunny day, and instead of the long list of chores to do, like spring cleaning the kitchen cupboards...ive spent the day out with my friend doing aqua aerobics again... Im almost getting fit!!

Good for you. Just when I thought my tendon was better I heard something go so it is back to the brace for the time being. I did do a bit of gardening today and tomorrow my o/h and I are off to London.

Well, best get going - need to call the in-laws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evening all

Had a lovely day today at the V and A looking at the Italian fashion exhibition, some of the couture dresses were wonderful. so much work and so expensive looking. They are works of art in themselves. And they have a wonderful paddling pool outside, it was such fun sitting watching the children playing in the water...

ive also been watching the great british sewing bee , the final was on Tuesday, I love this show, its so gentle and supportive, all the competitors seem to enjoy being on the show, despite all the the pressure, some of the garments they have produced are wonderful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good morning

busy time for me with half term, son is off from college
    but its fun spending time with him
    we went for lunch and a little shopping
    also had my hair done
    think i shall take him into London next week
    hit the museums, which he always enjoys

hope all are good
    will be back later
    just seen one son of to work
    and now the other one is calling down for me
    think he wants a shave this morning :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all

Had a lovely time in London - saw Blithe Spirit - very, very good and Angela Landsbury was amazing! Some lines and silly walks a bit dated though.

Dinner with a friend and then home late. Luckily we met a friend on the train who gave us a lift home!

Cannot believe ticket prices though! £75 for the dress circle!

Anyway, back to London today to see Vintner's Hall.

Have a lovely day all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good morning

busy time for me with half term, son is off from college
    but its fun spending time with him
    we went for lunch and a little shopping
    also had my hair done
    think i shall take him into London next week
    hit the museums, which he always enjoys

hope all are good
    will be back later
    just seen one son of to work
    and now the other one is calling down for me
    think he wants a shave this morning :)

Sounds like you'll be busy over the next couple of weeks Georgy!
    Good that you can get out and about with your son
    And take advantage of the London museums :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad you are getting out again nyannie....you need it after feeling so unwell.

Have a good day all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Hope you are enjoying the museums georgy - I love the Science Museum with the Space simulator!

Am absolutely pooped!!! Spent another day in London. Going back to bed and then tackle the ironing mounds! Had a private view of Vintner's Hall which was very interesting and joy of joys got a bus all the way back to the train station!!!

The garden is sprouting daily. Just saw that my Prinsess Irene and Helmand tulips are up as well as my bluebells!!! Lifts my heart.

Hope you all have a good day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    afternoon everyone...

a lovely lazy day today, ive been so busy the rest of the week, but the shopping and cleaning are now all done...

now to settle down and see if anything exciting has happened?

Ive just read Heat magazine and its full of all the same old favourites......doing the same old things.....Is there anything good on TV tonight?

I have a feeling we might be watching Game of Thrones...which is sort of great fun, but complete garbage as well......a real guilty pleasure...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Wish I had Sky - seem to be quite a few good programs. They did put the first series of Game of Thrones on a Freeview Channel but they stopped after a few episodes. Infuriating!!!!

Off to garden centre after Saturday Kitchen. Need compost and bug killer!!!!

Reading HEMINGWAY'S BOAT - really good. Also started a history of the French and Indian War. A bit heavy, but must improve my historical knowledge.

Have a lovely day.