Food banks see 'shocking' rise in number of users - 913 000 food parcels - 51% rise

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A food bank charity says it has handed out 913,000 food parcels in the last year, up from 347,000 the year before.

The Trussell Trust said a third were given to repeat visitors but that there was a "shocking" 51% rise in clients to established food banks. It said benefit payment delays were the main cause.

However, the Trussell Trust, the largest food bank provider in the UK, said benefits payments had been a particular problem since welfare changes were introduced just over a year ago.

Some 83% of food banks reported that benefits sanctions - when payments are temporarily stopped - had resulted in more people being referred for emergency food.
Continue reading the main story

And more than 30% of visits were put down to a delay in welfare payments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27032642

A terrible state of affairs.

It's quite scary to think what would happen to the country now if this facility was removed.

Comments

• StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Provide something and people will take advantage. People I know who use them means they have more cash for booze and nights out.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    Provide something and people will take advantage. People I know who use them means they have more cash for booze and nights out.
    You do realise that you can't just walk in to a food bank and get food? You have to be referred and be classed as eligible.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a few Labour supporters on benefits down my street. They spend their money on cigs and booze, then ask the social for some help with food. They get referred to the food banks for being short of money.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Tories don't care. They'll just see it as a sign of the Big Society working.

They don't mind charity as it is the rich deciding who they want to give to, rather than other people using their tax money to give to causes they don't agree with.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    I know a few Labour supporters on benefits down my street. They spend their money on cigs and booze, then ask the social for some help with food. They get referred to the food banks for being short of money.

You always appear to 'know someone' to prove your point, depending on the thread subject.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet we still send foreign aid around to world. Madness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    You always appear to 'know someone' to prove your point, depending on the thread subject.
    What they really mean is they read it in The Daily Mail so it must be true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Speaking of people we know, how's your friend Neil. I've not seen you posting supporting second posts in his threads for a while.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite scary to think what would happen to the country now if this facility was removed.

Well there would be a 100% fall in clients to food banks - so surely that would be brilliant news?
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they really mean is they read it in The Daily Mail so it must be true.

I doubt it.

Thee have been reports in all papers on how the system is abused, which is hardly surprising as all free systems are abused.

There have been documentaries on television where people have admitted it. Funny how a lot of those claiming the free food have things like a car, gold jewellery and the latest expensive televisions etc.

Face it there are a lot of greedy people who take advantage of the free food and the people who suffer as a result are the real needy.

On a different point I see today our local supermarket has put in a permanent collection point for food bank donations
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Well there would be a 100% fall in clients to food banks - so surely that would be brilliant news?

I like what you did there. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it.

Thee have been reports in all papers on how the system is abused, which is hardly surprising as all free systems are abused.

There have been documentaries on television where people have admitted it. Funny how a lot of those claiming the free food have things like a car, gold jewellery and the latest expensive televisions etc.

Face it there are a lot of greedy people who take advantage of the free food and the people who suffer as a result are the real needy.

On a different point I see today our local supermarket has put in a permanent collection point for food bank donations
    You know this how? So there are documentaries showing people turning up in their Porsche at food banks? For starters many people need a car for work. Care workers for example are often on the minimum wage but couldn't do their job without a car? As for expensive TV's, how do you know they are expensive? You can get a big flatscreen TV quite cheap these days and the TV could have been bought before they fell on hard times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know this how? So there are documentaries showing people turning up in their Porsche at food banks? For starters many people need a car for work. Care workers for example are often on the minimum wage but couldn't do their job without a car? As for expensive TV's, how do you know they are expensive? You can get a big flatscreen TV quite cheap these days and the TV could have been bought before they fell on hard times.

I know this because I have seen them.

I think its about time the BBC repeat the one they did about a year ago.

Of the four people followed three were chancers at best and one was an out and out fraudster who was exposed on film. This was despite the food bank manager going to great length explaining how hard done by the chap was. When the food manager was presented with the true facts he was speechless at how thoroughly he had been taken in
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I always find these food bank stories hilarious

you open up a place and give away free food and your surprised that people turn up

the lefty liberal do gooders really do need to up their game
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel for people who've been sanctioned for petty reasons. It must be a nightmare to have their money stopped.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So how do you know which people down your street are on benefits, which of them support Labour, what they spend their money on, which of the people on your street use food banks and/or their financial details ?

Are you a snooper ?

I've lived here over 40 years and I couldn't give anyone any of that information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do you know which people down your street are on benefits, which of them support Labour, what they spend their money on, which of the people on your street use food banks and/or their financial details ?

Are you a snooper ?

I've lived here over 40 years and I couldn't give anyone any of that information.

Perhaps people in his neighbourhood talk to each other, unlike in yours it would seem
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    The DEFRA commissioned food aid research report confirms that:
    “ There is growing demand for help to meet food needs, both from first-time food aid users and from those who had already been helped continuing to need food. The key drivers of this growing demand are described by providers as ‘crises’. Crises in household income, such as loss of a job or problems with social security benefits, are often underpinned by on-going problems of low income, rising food and other costs and increasing indebtedness.......We found no evidence to support the idea that increased food aid provision is driving demand. All available evidence both in the UK and international points in the opposite direction. Put simply, there is more need and informal food aid providers are trying to help....... Seeking food aid is usually a strategy of last resort.”

This backs up what the CAB and others have said. I have said on numerous occasions that imo the reasons for the increase in need for food banks are varied. Sadly the people who use them have been used as political footballs by both coalition and opposition politicians and supporters. This needs to stop and then maybe we can start to do something to solve, or at least alleviate, what is a very serious issue starting with the over-zealous sanctions regime and the long delays that many face waiting for their benefits to be paid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you a snooper ?

The joys of speaking to your neighbours in the street, and down at the local pub. I suppose it is easier being in a cul de sac.

Do you not talk to your neighbours in the street. or do you just send a Xmas card once a year and keep to that?
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The joys of speaking to your neighbours in the street, and down at the local pub. I suppose it is easier being in a cul de sac.

Do you not talk to your neighbours in the street. or do you just send a Xmas card once a year and keep to that?

If your neighbours have been sanctioned and therefore not in receipt of any benefit how do they afford booze and cigarettes?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps people in his neighbourhood talk to each other, unlike in yours it would seem

I'd love to know how the conversations go

Does he ask the people down his street straight out how much money they have, what they are spending their money on , which party they support and whether they are going to the food bank and if so why :D

BTW people around here do talk to each other they just don't pry into each others business ;-)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Styles wrote: »

Doesn't work like that.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    If your neighbours have been sanctioned and therefore not in receipt of any benefit how do they afford booze and cigarettes?

From what I have seen, the alcohol is found in the street and the cigarettes from the ground which are then made into longer cigarettes from the leavings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does he ask the people down his street straight out how much money they have, what they are spending their money on , which party they support and whether they are going to the food bank and if so why :D

BTW people around here do talk to each other they just don't pry into each others business ;-)

I see you are looking for tips on how to interrogate your neighbours now .........

I have no idea what conversations you have with your neighbours (and don't want to) but all the points you mention can come up naturally in a conversation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would you why? It will just be normal day to day ones in the street, see how they are, any news, how their families are etc. You should try it.

The pub, now that's the place you find out about everyones political leanings, who's doing who, who's up to mischief.

Do you visit your local much? If so, what do you talk about in there to everyone?