Any explanation for the Doctors link to modern times?

K2kK2k Posts: 200
Forum Member
Obviously actors age and so the majority of adventures with re-occurring characters are set chronologically.

Has there even been any explanation to why the Doctor seems to be connected to the same general period of time? He has a cell phone that is connected to the present day and seemed upset when the Brigadier passed away which seems odds for a time traveler.

You would think he'd be able to go back and interact with old companions all the time!

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think modern-day Earth might simply be the same time as modern-day Gallifrey, which is why he always defaults to this time period.

Otherwise, it might simply be that because he first arrived in 1963, its this period of Earth history that he feels most at home in.

Don't forget, though, that the Doctor has aged hundreds of years since episode one but time on Earth has only moved on 50 years . . . so he's not exactly in sync with modern-day Earth.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    As a rationalisation, perhaps going back to companions in earlier times runs too much of a risk of changing or contradicting events in their lives, so it's safer to reappear after his last visit.

But the real reason is that it's less confusing for us as viewers.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    In classic Who, it was suggested Time Lords were in some kind of temporal synchronicity which is why (for instance) the Doctor always met The Master and the Rani in the same order as they met him.

This was thrown into disarray during Trial of a Timelord when it turned out the Master had met the Doctor's future self many times.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    K2k wrote: »
    Obviously actors age and so the majority of adventures with re-occurring characters are set chronologically.

Has there even been any explanation to why the Doctor seems to be connected to the same general period of time? He has a cell phone that is connected to the present day and seemed upset when the Brigadier passed away which seems odds for a time traveler.

You would think he'd be able to go back and interact with old companions all the time!

I think it's fair to say that this was nothing more than a tribute to Nicolas Courtney really.

The link to modern times stems from the fact that all shows have to relate to the modern audience really
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can give you one explanation for the Brig question at least. The Doctor calls him (I believe, haven't got the episode in front of me) on the TARDIS phone. It's well established that the TARDIS takes the Doctor where he needs to go, not where he wants to go. At that moment he was about to head off on a path that would have avoided (at least temporarily) the problem when he needed to face it. So the TARDIS called that number at that specific point in time to drive home a couple of things to the Doctor.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    ...and seemed upset when the Brigadier passed away which seems odds for a time traveler.

This was done for the show and the fans,not for the Doctor imho, a tribute only!
  • CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always imagined that it was because we are living in late 20th/ early 21st century earth, so mowt of the adventures which the series producers choose to share with us are contextually relevant to us, and that the series Doctor Who made and shown in 100th century alpha centuri probably features the drs adbentures in that place and time much more. After all there is lots of evidence that the dr has travelled extensively in adventures which our series just doesn't show us.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craigpugh wrote: »
    I always imagined that it was because we are living in late 20th/ early 21st century earth, so mowt of the adventures which the series producers choose to share with us are contextually relevant to us, and that the series Doctor Who made and shown in 100th century alpha centuri probably features the drs adbentures in that place and time much more. After all there is lots of evidence that the dr has travelled extensively in adventures which our series just doesn't show us.

Apart from mentioning many, many adventures in time on Earth, (as well as the ones we've seen, the Romans, Aztecs, medieval France, the Crusades, Marco Polo etc) He's also had companions from the past, the future and from other planets, just not recently.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

Sure he could go back in time and visit the Brig, but surely The Doctor would still be upset that in the current time he is in, The Brig is now dead.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a rationalisation, perhaps going back to companions in earlier times runs too much of a risk of changing or contradicting events in their lives, so it's safer to reappear after his last visit.

But the real reason is that it's less confusing for us as viewers.

But the real real reason is that it's cheaper and easier. :)

At the beginning of Fury from the Deep Jamie and Victoria mentioned that the TARDIS always seemed to take them to Earth, and to England in particular. (With the exception of Tomb of the Cybermen Victoria's stories were all set on Earth.) Jamie theorised the TARDIS had been 'spiked' due to damage it had sustained. That was probably a lighthearted way of expressing what some viewers must have been thinking. Of course that's space rather than time, but it's the same general idea as what we're discussing here.

Any in-story explanation of the prevalence of present-day-Britain story settings is likely to seem feeble and only call undue attention to the real-word factors that are probably behind those decisions. Better to ignore it, along with 'why is the room in a stage play always missing the fourth wall?' :)
  • TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't eleven help Rose Tyler with her homework.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    TLC1098 wrote: »

No. He said he could help her. But there's mouthing to suggest he would actually do it. He'd ruin things for his earlier self if he did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    Given that a clone of the Doctor ends up being her lover it would be rather questionable having him being friends with her when she was still a schoolgirl.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Sure he could go back in time and visit the Brig, but surely The Doctor would still be upset that in the current time he is in, The Brig is now dead.

Can he though? Doesn't Troughton make a throwaway reference to that not really being allowed in the Five Doctors? I don't own a copy so am unable to check, and my memory could be at fault...
  • taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    This was done for the show and the fans,not for the Doctor imho, a tribute only!

yes, but I'd go so far as to say it was also a way for the Doctor to come to terms with his own forthcoming demise, the Tardis could have routed that call any time throughout the brig's life time and yet it routed it to a few months after his death, at a time when the Doctor was, from what he believed at the time, trying to cheat his own.

But of course your right and I'm just romanticising the moment :o
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think modern-day Earth might simply be the same time as modern-day Gallifrey, which is why he always defaults to this time period.
    Well that ID plate in the TARDIS did say that it was made on Gallifrey, in 1963, so I think that's highly likely!
    ;)