What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the latest Logan Macrae book, was great as usual. Still making my way through "The Creeper". I don't find Tania Carvers writing to be particularly good, but she is covering all the cliches well and its an ok plot. Not a lot you can do with the old serial killer thriller these days.

Just started "Stranded" by Emily Barr. Not read any of hers before, I like her writing style and so far am intrigued. Still withholding judgement though.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished 'The Expats' I really enjoyed it! Loved all the twists and the different timeframes, I can totally see this being made into a mini series or something!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished 'The Expats' I really enjoyed it! Loved all the twists and the different timeframes, I can totally see this being made into a mini series or something!

Yeah I really enjoyed that one...and it would make a brill series!
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (shelved Lonesome Dove for the time being).
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga Of The Smiths - Tony Fletcher
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Harvey- All she wants
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished the latest Harry Hole thriller, 'Phantom' by Jo Nesbo.

I love the Harry Hole books and really, really hope that this isn't the last one in the series
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Lovely Fanzine, full of obscure information!
    www.csofanzine.blogspot.com
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare.
    Regency historical romance. Enjoyable bit of fluff. Part of a trilogy might get the rest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Guns by Stephen King. After Sandy Hook, Mr King took it upon himself to write an essay on the gun laws in the US, the so called "culture of violence" over there and his thoughts in general on the matter. Extremely interesting (educated me somewhat, there are always vaguely hysterical overtones to anyone I usually hear talking about gun laws in the US, whether for or against) and his idea's are interesting. In fact so sensible that you wonder why he is not the President and ruler of all things (I say that pretty lightly, but he really does talk sense imo). He also talks about his novella "Rage", written as Richard Bachman, and apparently in the early 80's, an influence on some youngsters who took their classmates hostage. He pulled the novel from publication, a difficult thing to do, and speaks about his reasons for doing so in a calm and reflective way. I actually own "Rage" and its a damn good story! All in all a short, but fascinating piece. At 99p I would highly recommend having a read if you own a Kindle, all proceeds from this go to the Brady campaign to prevent gun violence.

Have also just finished Stranded by Emily Barr. Great book, my first by this author but have downloaded a couple more onto my kindle. Esther takes her first holiday alone to "find herself" after her divorce and prove that she can do things without anyones help. She leaves her daughter behind with her ex husband. A series of events leads to her and several other holiday makers being stranded on an Island in Malaysia. Its not as simple as that though. There are reasons this has happened to her and as the story unfolds we find out more about Esther and her life. I would recommend this.

Also a quick word about After the Fall which I read a bit ago, and also really enjoyed but didnt say a lot about it. Another rec from me. Reallly enjoyed this story of a family who make a move to New Zealand after the husband loses his business in the UK. It begins with the youngest son "falling" off a balcony in their new home and being rushed to hospital. Through a series of flashback from Mum, we discover how they came to be in NZ, what has happened to them since they arrived and the true nature of the accident that has befallen Finn. Excellent read.

Not sure what I'm going to start now. I might read another Emily Barr but I think I'll have a read through this thread first :)
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo, trying to read them in order.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished I am The Secret Footballer .. insider's warts and all view of the beautiful game. Most honest and revealing footballing book since Tony Cascarino's Full Time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo, trying to read them in order.

Yes, they are best read in order, as there are some ongoing stories and characters.

Having said that, they have only just released The Bat in Enlish (the first HH book), so I will be racing that soon, just after finishing The Phantom!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started The Digital Wolf[-The Hidden Academy by Jon Rosenburg/B]. Really enjoying it so far. :)
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading Chris Stewart's trilogy about his life in the mountains near Granada - all the books are very good:

Driving Over Lemons

A Parrot in the Pepper Tree

Almond Blossom Appreciation Society
  • katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a small break from reading all the Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy L Sayers - currently reading The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crimes Division 1) by Jasper Fforde - hilarious and very cleverly written - a good whodunit!
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started The Internet is a Playground - David Thorne. I heard about him from a link in a GD thread a couple of weeks ago. Very very funny stuff.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    Just finished: The Rose Petal Beach and The Woman he loved before by Dorothy Koomson and also about to finish Where are you Now, Mary Higgins Clark.

I'm starting the Jack Reacher series next, starting with Killing Floor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    I'm starting the Jack Reacher series next, starting with Killing Floor

I love the Jack Reacher books :) though it took me a little while to warm to them.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I've been reading Chris Stewart's trilogy about his life in the mountains near Granada - all the books are very good:

Driving Over Lemons

A Parrot in the Pepper Tree

Almond Blossom Appreciation Society

I should read these again. I've not read them for years.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    wombat18 wrote: »
    I love the Jack Reacher books :) though it took me a little while to warm to them.

I've always wanted to get into and complete a book series like this but I never quite managed it - here's hoping I do this time! :)

Forgot to add that I'm listening to an audio book too (I usually have one on the go) currently listening to The Great Gatsby.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Excellent Women" by Barbara Pym, superb, witty and very funny:D I've read it before; her books are a particular favourite of mine :D

I have "World without End" [Ken Follett], to start next, I couldn't get hold of "pillars of the earth" in order to read that first but hope it doesnt matter too much..
  • nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Threepenny Memoir: The Lives of a Libertine by Carl Barat - Rock memoir of the former Libertines frontman. It's well written and a very good read.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Anne Cassidy - Dead Time
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Eloise. Judy Finnigan.