Options

Getting the bus for the first time alone!

EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,
im getting the bus home from college on my own from college for the first time and im nervous

any advice?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sit near the driver and don't speak to any strangers.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    im getting the bus home from college on my own from college for the first time and im nervous

any advice?
    thanks

you said in another thread that you're 17? Have you really not been on a bus before?

Genuine question, I really don't want it to come across harshly, it's just at about 14, I used to go into town with my friends on the bus, etc. How have you got to places in the past?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    by car :o
    and at age 14-16 i was ill and didnt want to go out anywere
    and this is about being on my own with no friends or family with me and coz i was ill its been a while since ive been on a bus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its been a while since ive been on the bus
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    1. buy a ticket by stating your destination.
    2. sit down
    3 . get off when you want to.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, you have been on a bus before. What are you nervous about now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Make sure you go to the loo before you catch the bus.
    Take a bottle of water, sandwich,book and small pillow.
    Wear loose clothes and comfy shoes that can easily be slipped off.

All of the above is on the assumption that you're taking a long coach journey!
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Have the correct money. Some buses don't give change.

Dont worry about it. If you can cope with buying milk in a corner shop, then this is easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    So, you have been on a bus before. What are you nervous about now?

nervous about going alone as when i have been before ive always had someone with me
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nervous about going alone as when i have been before ive always had someone with me

But what is it you're worried about? You get on bus, sit down, when you get to your destination, get off. What difference would the other person make?
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Book in advance,and try to get the reclining seats near the movie screen.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must have got the bus on your own before. Most kids do that by about 10/11.
  • Options
    copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the first few journeys, go with an adult and as your confidence builds the adult could maybe just walk you to the bus stop and not get on the bus. Then when happy, do the whole thing alone.

O_o
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sit at the back and stare at chavs as you pass them. They will also be staring at you.
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not enough info. Are you maybe agrophobic I wonder..? Or prone to panic attacks ? Do *you* think this nervousness is serious ?

If you do, then I'd recommend a visit to your G.P. and to explain this to them, and see what comes of that.

In the interim. How about some cheap alternative..such as buying a bicycle and riding to/from college..? No bus fares will quickly pay for the price of an average bike...in addition to getting you fitter - physically at least. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depression and Panic attacks which is why im nervous as i havent been out on my own in a long time

Bycycle might not work as i live quite away from college

Going to ask if someone could meet me and come home with me the first couple times

will let you know how it goes

thank you for your advice some really helped
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

any advice?
    thanks

Good lord, I first got a bus on my own when I was 6 years old. How times do change. :cool:
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Depression and Panic attacks which is why im nervous as i havent been out on my own in a long time

Going to ask if someone could meet me and come home with me the first couple times

Good idea OP. Also, to take your mind off it maybe play car cricket.... try to make words out of the letters on vehicle number plates, though don't get too distracted that you miss your stop :) Panic attacks are scary but I'm sure you'll be fine once you get used to it :D
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Good lord, I first got a bus on my own when I was 6 years old. How times do change. :cool:
    I'm guessing you weren't prone to panic attacks, depression, anxiety or agoraphobia?

Must be mighty :cool: to get on with life with no issues, ailments or problems.
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »

Bit of an ill thought out observation if I may say.

Anxiety, agrophobia, general phobias can manifest at any time in anybody for no reason that psychiatry/psychology alike can fathom - the brain still being the least understood part of anatomy - given it's unique signature to us all.

Don't be too smug...my socially outgoing mother went from complete capacity to deal with others, to virtual housebound agrophobic terror in less than a year. This was in her early sixties...so maybe reign it in a little eh :)
  • Options
    copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    Good idea OP. Also, to take your mind off it maybe play car cricket.... try to make words out of the letters on vehicle number plates, though don't get too distracted that you miss your stop :) Panic attacks are scary but I'm sure you'll be fine once you get used to it :D

Bollocks to car cricket........pocket billiards will take your mind off Everything. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ignore all the sarcastic comments, having panic attacks can make the smallest things feel like a major thing, Just make sure you get on the right bus, have the right change for the journey and if you're unsure about where to get off ask the driver in advance, maybe take some music and earphones with you, music tends to have a calming effect on me!
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel and getting public transport used to be a massive thing for me. I would panic when getting on about not having the right money, asking for the wrong ticket and having all these people behind waiting or people already on the bus staring at me. Then once I got the ticket I would worry about where to sit, actually I would worry about that before I even got on the bus, sometimes I would worry so much that I would miss a few buses until one came along that I liked the look of and didn't have many people on board. Then when youve got your seat and have to get off, do you ring the bell or not, how soon do you get up, will the bus driver have heard the bell if you used it or can he even see you want off. then when you actually get off the people on the bus watching while you walk away.

its incredibly silly the things you can panic and worry over, to anyone else it would seem as straight forward as getting on the bus and sitting down but its way more difficult than that. Having someone else with you made it that bit easier because you feel you can hide behind them and you've got a security blanket.

Just take it one small step at a time, try not to over think it, if you are worried about anything research the prices, timetables and bus stops etc before you go so your confident in what you're doing. Bring headphones as I feel it can help you feel less paranoid and just go for it!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Hi,

any advice?
    thanks

It's a bus, not a bungee jump or your first flight by rocket to the moon. Get on it, pay for your ticket or show your pass and sit down. Then get off the bus at your required destination. If you are not sure where to get off, ask the driver to tell you when.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I would recommend a detailed plan and strategy, I have found it very helpful with panic situations in the past. While you're feeling safe and comfortable, work out some specific things you're worried about, and some coping mechanisms for how you'll deal with them.

E.g. if you're worried about what to say to the driver - practice asking for a single to wherever it is. If you're worried about not having the right money (do you know how much it is?) then make sure you have lots of change, and practice saying 'just a moment, let me find the right change for you'. If you're worried that there won't be a seat, or that you might have to sit next to a stranger, then plan some different strategies - where you'll sit if the bus is empty, where you'll sit if the bus is fuller, that sort of thing. If you're worried about getting off at the right place, then pick a spot somewhere before you need to get off, and when you get there, ring the bell and start making your way to the front, ready to get off.

Maybe have some nice music that you can listen to that might relax you a bit too, and something that can distract you if you're feeling panicky, like a phone that you can look at/text/pretend to text if you're feeling self conscious. I actually recommend not taking someone with you the first time, because you'll still have to do it on your own sometime, and I think it's like ripping off a plaster, best get it over with sooner.