5 htp - what do you think?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This has been recommended to me as a treatment for depression. I'd never heard of it before, don't know if anyone else here has ever tried it or thinks it might be useful?

Comments

• Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find them any good, I tried them for months but they do get good reviews.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I take them now over St johns wort to get me through the winter, do they make a difference - no idea:)
  • rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Web MD has this to say about it ::
    5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is also produced commercially from the seeds of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP.

5-HTP is used for sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, migraine and tension-type headaches, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and along with prescription drugs to treat seizure disorder and Parkinson's disease.

How does it work?

5-HTP works in the brain and central nervous system by increasing the production of the chemical serotonin. Serotonin can affect sleep, appetite, temperature, sexual behavior, and pain sensation. Since 5-HTP increases the synthesis of serotonin, it is used for several diseases where serotonin is believed to play an important role including depression, insomnia, obesity, and many other conditions.

From that appraisal I would advise not using it.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just started using this, Im in week 4 or 5 I think. I do believe I feel better, my morning crippling anxiety, panic and dread has gone. I still wake up early but that stomach churning fear isnt with it anymore. Now I dont know if this is down to the tablets or placebo affect but I do feel there is a slight difference.

I started off on 50mg each evening and upped it to 100mg.

I have noticed aches and pains, like muscle pain, but is not severe enough to worry me and if it is caused by the 5htp and if the 5htp is working on my anxiety and depression, then I can put up with that as a side effect.

If the aches and pains get worse then I will need to think about it obviously.

I read about the EMS, I read that it seems associated with 'peak x' which was an contaminant in early batches of tryptophan made into 5htp (I might have got that wrong but thats my understanding). I feel that current supplements of actual 5htp shouldnt be affected but there will always be a risk.

I asked my doctor about it and whilst with him in the surgery, he googled and got information about it on wikipedia. I said that I had already read this and did he know any specific information about it from a professionals point of view. He said no. So that was helpful.

Around the time I started taking it I was convinced I had poisoned myself because I had an awful pain in my leg, I though I had a blood clot. It wasnt, but whilst at A+E, the doctor who saw me was very sniffy about me getting supplements and said that I shouldnt be taking anything not prescribed.

With regards to my depression I feel a bit less flat, I dont know if this will continue to improve or whether I need to up the dose or whether this is the limit of its affect on me. I can only see how I go.

Its hard getting information about it because most of the forums you read are american and most of them seem to have done tests to test the amount of serotonin in their brains so they know for sure whether they are deficient or not. I dont know for sure that this is what I am deficient in but I do know that my symptoms are prevalent in the mornings which is associated with organic depression rather than reactive depression, so I presume it is chemical based for me.

Try and find out as much as you can about it, any studies and then if you decide to take it, buy from a respected outlet like natures best or something like that and just record how you progress.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with that divide between organic and reactive depression. I certainly feel better later in the day so maybe that means I'm an organic sufferer? I'll look it up.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find them very good, although I will only take the Holland and Barret ones. They are a bit more expensive so I once thought I would try and buy them from soemwhere else. When they arrived I took them for a good few weeks but they weren't helping at all. I switched back to the Holland and Barret ones.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find them very good, although I will only take the Holland and Barret ones. They are a bit more expensive so I once thought I would try and buy them from soemwhere else. When they arrived I took them for a good few weeks but they weren't helping at all. I switched back to the Holland and Barret ones.

How much are they?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    How much are they?

Et voila: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=137&searchterm=5%20htp&rdcnt=1

That said, if it appears that there's the onset of persistent low feelings and depression then I really would suggest booking an appointment with your GP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I take them and they do take the edge of anxiety, I take a 100mg tablet, half in the morning and half on the night :) I have taken 150mg once before and my do it again. I take it for PMDD so I can have a break for about a week before I up my dose again :)