Options

When will the ratings for EE get back on par with Corrie?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So EE is on good form now only the ratings are taking a lot of time to increase. When do you lot think the ratings will increase to on par with Corrie again? What do you think is also needed?

Comments

• Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, it's only just got back on track again around Christmas time from a 3 and a half year lull so it will take a while to get the full audience back.. but the good thing is it's getting consistent apart from when shITVe do their silly little tricks with ED hour episode.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly I don't think it'll ever get to the dizzy heights of 9million on overnight figures. When they add repeats and iplayer episodes still generally get about that. However EastEnders generally has a younger viewership who don't always watch the first viewing so it suffers with overnights.
  • Options
    Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will hit 10mil regularly (5/10 episodes) by the end of this year. With Stacey's return and Nick's potential return some of the lost viewership will tune in to see the conclusion of their stories and probably get hooked back in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus at lot of EE's audience is younger, well than Corrie's anyway and might be out a lot, so will catch up which might explain why it's like always number 1 on bbc I player, Corrie's (while not saying all) audience is mainly oldies and they might not be out as much so can watch all episodes on first showings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually hope it doesn't for a good while at least because then then the EE writers might get lazy and the show will once again slip back into mediocrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    I actually hope it doesn't for a good while at least because then then the EE writers might get lazy and the show will once again slip back into mediocrity.

That will explain Corrie of late then...?
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey's return may bring it ratings, it will take some time though. It needs a big story too and good promotion.

The only other character that could possibly bring it ratings is Grant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Corrie's fan base all die of old age, which they are bound to soon enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stacey's return may bring it ratings, it will take some time though. It needs a big story too and good promotion.

The only other character that could possibly bring it ratings is Grant.

It would be amazing to see Grant back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    That will explain Corrie of late then...?

I haven't watched Corrie properly in over a year, but judging by the reactions of the Stuart Blackburn tenure on here I'm not missing out on much.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched Corrie properly in over a year, but judging by the reactions of the Stuart Blackburn tenure on here I'm not missing out on much.

Good boy. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Good boy. :)

I always assumed you where a massive Corrie fanboi due to the eccentricities of the older characters ;-):D.

The 'humour' is far to forced and dated for me to enjoy it. I do enjoy the characters and some of their storylines from time to time though.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    I always assumed you where a massive Corrie fanboi due to the eccentricities of the older characters ;-):D.

The 'humour' is far to forced and dated for me to enjoy it. I do enjoy the characters and some of their storylines from time to time though.

I am only 29 you know, I'm not an old fart just yet.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So EE is on good form now only the ratings are taking a lot of time to increase. When do you lot think the ratings will increase to on par with Corrie again? What do you think is also needed?

It'll happen, I give it until the end of the year.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Plus at lot of EE's audience is younger, well than Corrie's anyway and might be out a lot, so will catch up which might explain why it's like always number 1 on bbc I player, Corrie's (while not saying all) audience is mainly oldies and they might not be out as much so can watch all episodes on first showings.

Next you will be using BBQ's and Student nights as excuses.

Corrie also has a younger audience. Its not just old people who watch it you know.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As good as the feel of EE is atm, there is no major cliff hanger s/l capturing the imagination of the viewers
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »
    I think it will hit 10mil regularly (5/10 episodes) by the end of this year. With Stacey's return and Nick's potential return some of the lost viewership will tune in to see the conclusion of their stories and probably get hooked back in.

I very much doubt the first sentence. EE has indeed been on fine form lately but 2006/7 was the last time they were posting anywhere near double-digit figures during the autumn months, and you'd have to go as far back as Chrissie's years to see them regularly drawing audiences of 10 million +.

Perhaps they could settle for comfortably above 8m during the last quarter of 2014, but I don't see the figures getting much higher than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next you will be using BBQ's and Student nights as excuses.

Corrie also has a younger audience. Its not just old people who watch it you know.

To be not at all generalistic;

The majority of Corrie Fans are middle aged or oaps.

The majority of Emmerdale fans are oaps.

The majority of Doctors fans are middle aged.

The majority of Hollyoaks, Home and Away and Neighbours fans are students.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon_P1 wrote: »

People are forever ageing, so a new generation of older folk will be there to replace the current elderly population, though. :confused:
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, looking at the final BARB ratings, there isn't much difference between Coronation Street and EastEnders. Look at this year -

Week 3
    CORRIE

CORONATION STREET (MON 1932) 8.51
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 1932) 8.45
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 2029) 8.13
    CORONATION STREET (WED 1930) 8.07
    CORONATION STREET (MON 2030) 8.06

EASTENDERS
    EASTENDERS (MON 2001) 8.79
    EASTENDERS (THU 1928) 8.37
    EASTENDERS (TUE 1928) 8.26
    EASTENDERS (FRI 2000) 8.02

Week 2
    CORRIE
    CORONATION STREET (MON 1931) 8.86
    CORONATION STREET (MON 2029) 8.56
    CORONATION STREET (WED 1932) 8.30
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 1931) 8.12
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 2030) 7.82

EASTENDERS
    EASTENDERS (MON 2001) 8.91
    EASTENDERS (TUE 1929) 8.46
    EASTENDERS (THU 1929) 8.12
    EASTENDERS (FRI 2000) 7.87
    EASTENDERS (WED 2001) 7.49

Week 1
    CORRIE
    CORONATION STREET (MON 1932) 8.72
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 1932) 8.63
    CORONATION STREET (WED 1932) 8.31
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 2029) 8.18

EASTENDERS
    EASTENDERS (THU 1930) 8.61
    EASTENDERS (WED 2001) 8.26
    EASTENDERS (FRI 2000) 8.24
    EASTENDERS (MON 2100) 8.00
    EASTENDERS (TUE 1931) 7.78

EastEnders has the highest rated episode so far from this data with 8.91 million.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Stacey's return trailer has got 319,029 views on YouTube in just two days, which is extremely significant. It seems that people are genuinely looking forward to her return, and this forum is really picking up in the interest.
  • Options
    writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it needs to be really consistent, continuing to produce the great material of this year so far. Well planned secrets, complete shocks (like Jane's reappearance), high profile returns/castings (Stacey Branning, Dean Wicks, Charlie Cotton) as well as major storylines utilising the majority of the cast (not just one huge storyline for one character/one family)...will Altogether ensure EE is back on top.

Christmas 2014 is going to be a great one and I think by the end of the year, most definitely in time for the 30th anniversary next year, EE will be on par if not exceeding the ratings of Corrie.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon_P1 wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If DTC manages to not only sustain this level of quality but also exceed peoples expectations by the end of the year, I can quite easily see EastEnders over taking Corrie in 2015 as the leading soap.

A soap, any soap, relies on strong material and gripping storylines to keep thier audience as well enticing new viewers. From what DTC has said so far, it looks like we're in for a epic year but time will tell if the stories will have impact on the viewing figures.

Likewise though, it's also dependent on the quality of Corrie. If they also have a strong year they may well continue to front the audience.
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think around the 30th Anniversary.