Houston! We have detected the green shoots of a fibre cabinate upgrade!

Comments

• Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    So......... as it's a Saturday and no one is working on it, I thought I'd do a photo-shoot with only a few strang looks from passers by.

An over-view of the largely disused road to nowhere: Old Cabinet on the left, New Cabinet stuck out in a most spectacularly silly place, on the right: (There's loads of room to the left of the old cabinet against that wall, so I don't know why they didn't put it there?)

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/7651/9725.jpg

Close-up of New cabinet show that it's stuck on the kerb. I hope no one prangs it with their car:

http://imageshack.com/a/img199/899/a3e3.jpg

Another closer view of New cabinet:

http://imageshack.com/a/img197/9458/3h05.jpg

And finally, the hole! Grey pipe with red cap on left goes to New Cabinet, grey pipe with red cap goes somewhere down the road (Power?) - And a big fat bulging cable in the middle:

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/4977/n9u3.jpg
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power cables are a lot lower so I would be surprised if it were to be going through the red caps possibly fibre?, but im no expert. The fat bit is terrible it looks like a D side cable for that street but it is terrible its buried no ducting I would expect the brown pipe to be covering all the way. The blue cord look to be for them to pull a cable through but this isn't a joint box they are going to cover it with concrete, so i hope not.
  • martino2539martino2539 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    the dslam are installed at a location advised by the local electrical board......its easier and cheaper for openreach to run d side cables from existing pcp to the dslams rather than electric company run 10 metre of cable and jointing etc.....its just how its done
  • martino2539martino2539 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    looking at the photos the lamp posts are by the new dslam so that will be the reason.....power cables are that side
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So......... as it's a Saturday and no one is working on it, I thought I'd do a photo-shoot with only a few strang looks from passers by.

An over-view of the largely disused road to nowhere: Old Cabinet on the left, New Cabinet stuck out in a most spectacularly silly place, on the right: (There's loads of room to the left of the old cabinet against that wall, so I don't know why they didn't put it there?)

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/7651/9725.jpg

Close-up of New cabinet show that it's stuck on the kerb. I hope no one prangs it with their car:

http://imageshack.com/a/img199/899/a3e3.jpg

Another closer view of New cabinet:

http://imageshack.com/a/img197/9458/3h05.jpg

And finally, the hole! Grey pipe with red cap on left goes to New Cabinet, grey pipe with red cap goes somewhere down the road (Power?) - And a big fat bulging cable in the middle:

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/4977/n9u3.jpg

Looks like a silly place to put it, you only have to have a car mount the pavement and that will be it, or something larger as the lane only seems to be narrow.

The one by me is just opposite a junction, only need some idiot coming down the road at a speed they should not be doing and missing the turning and that will be it. I have seen a few cars mount that pavement over the years I been living here, only just missing the standard cabinet.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Looks like a silly place to put it, you only have to have a car mount the pavement and that will be it, or something larger as the lane only seems to be narrow.

The one by me is just opposite a junction, only need some idiot coming down the road at a speed they should not be doing and missing the turning and that will be it. I have seen a few cars mount that pavement over the years I been living here, only just missing the standard cabinet.

The cabinet's not exactly at the end of the bend though. In fact, it's a good bit off it. I can't see any reckless driver hitting that all the way down there. The cabinet would have to be very unlucky to be hit. I doubt the car would roll far enough to hit the cabinet. If the cabinet was just a bit off the bend, I'd agree with you. There's cabinets around here that could easily be hit if a driver was driving recklessly and collided with it. I'd imagine there's loads of cabinets all over the country that are at risk if they were unlucky enough to be smashed into.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet another happy positive contribution from you ^_^
    Forum Member
    Fortunately it's a quiet road: It used to be a big long busy road but at the top of this short bottom section, they put a big main road right across it, forever cutting off this small bottom section and turning it into a cul-de-sac. There are 3 or 4 houses at the top and our local mosque is half-way up it.

Down the very bottom end where the new cabinet is were two businesses: A sign writers that's been boarded up since the 70s and right next to the cabinet is an undertakers that shut up shop two months ago.

So the road is only used by a very few residents and free parking for the town.

Still seems like a silly place to put it on the outside of the pavement as people have to walk between it and the wall and or course it does reduce the width of the road. If a wide load needed to get up there, with a solid wall on one side, it would overhang on the cabinet side with bad results. Had it been put up against the wall of the undertakers, then it's more out of the way.

Still, I don't really care as I live in the next street over and this cabinet feeds my area, so that is the main point to me.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't it a good thing should the cars hit a cabinet instead of a person? I mean id rather that then let someone die but that's ok because I still have my internet.
    Forum Member
    Hurlley wrote: »
    isn't it a good thing should the cars hit a cabinet instead of a person? I mean id rather that then let someone die but that's ok because I still have my internet.

A great philosophical question:

Fast Broadband or Human Life: Which is greater?

:D

(The answers would be interesting!)
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Still seems like a silly place to put it on the outside of the pavement as people have to walk between it and the wall and or course it does reduce the width of the road. If a wide load needed to get up there, with a solid wall on one side, it would overhang on the cabinet side with bad results. Had it been put up against the wall of the undertakers, then it's more out of the way.
    There are rules about which services go where under pavements, and generally the most fragile ones (gas) are furthest from the road (least vibration from traffic), then water, then electricity and lastly telephone as being least fragile and/or critical. If there are lots of services present the companies may not have much choice about placement.
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    There are rules about which services go where under pavements, and generally the most fragile ones (gas) are furthest from the road (least vibration from traffic), then water, then electricity and lastly telephone as being least fragile and/or critical. If there are lots of services present the companies may not have much choice about placement.

Then drains as well! Quite busy under the pavement.

I still think the best place would has been just to the left of the old one as that is on a big triangle peninsular and not in the way of anything against the wall. It also has a lamp post on it so they could have got power from that.
  • redcar1redcar1 Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fibre cabinets are popping up like mushrooms here in Redcar at the moment - they seem to be making a concerted effort to meet the date given in the latest 'Coming Soon' list of 1.05.14. There's also been much cable-pulling activity along main roads and consequent destruction of grass verges by heavy Openreach lorries!
    I'm not sure now if it's as exciting as I originally thought although it may be if FTTP is available as the latest Openreach list suggests (previous editions said FTTC only for Redcar exchange). I have Virgin 30Mbps at present and could get 100Mbps if I wanted - faster than FTTC goes - and delivered through much more reliable (than tatty phone wire) coaxial cable. Pure fibre would, of course, be even better!
    How can you tell if FTTP is going to be available other than by waiting for the RFS date and enquiring then? I know there is fibre-on-demand but I don't fancy paying £1000+ for installation. Presumably if you can get FTTP at your address this does not apply? Or maybe not, in which case what's the difference between FTTP and FOD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good for the whole nation to be given the chance of getting fibre installed. ADSL2+ seems to be slowly on its way out now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately it's a quiet road: It used to be a big long busy road but at the top of this short bottom section, they put a big main road right across it, forever cutting off this small bottom section and turning it into a cul-de-sac. There are 3 or 4 houses at the top and our local mosque is half-way up it.

Down the very bottom end where the new cabinet is were two businesses: A sign writers that's been boarded up since the 70s and right next to the cabinet is an undertakers that shut up shop two months ago.

So the road is only used by a very few residents and free parking for the town.

Still, I don't really care as I live in the next street over and this cabinet feeds my area, so that is the main point to me.

You may care if once you was connected something hit it and took it out, no broadband for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It would be good for the whole nation to be given the chance of getting fibre installed. ADSL2+ seems to be slowly on its way out now.

If you live a fair distance from the exchange and get naff ADSl speeds and FTTC is available then yes, go for it. But some people gets a good speed on ADSL and that is when you got to look and see if FTTC is worth the extra cost.

I know people both on FTTC and ADSL, So far the majority of them have stayed with ADSl for one reason or another.

If you got more options available than FTTC and ADSL, then look at them.

I do think that everyone should have be able to get decent speed broadband, what ever the means.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you live a fair distance from the exchange and get naff ADSl speeds and FTTC is available then yes, go for it. But some people gets a good speed on ADSL and that is when you got to look and see if FTTC is worth the extra cost.

I know people both on FTTC and ADSL, So far the majority of them have stayed with ADSl for one reason or another.

If you got more options available than FTTC and ADSL, then look at them.

I do think that everyone should have be able to get decent speed broadband, what ever the means.

Obviously people who don't download large amounts won't benefit much from higher speed fibre connections. The internet is growing in information though. It's only a matter of time before fibre connections are needed to experience newer, information intensive online videos that will start appearing all over the place. The information in files online is increasing all the time, whether it be through streaming or downloading. Fibre is what will be needed in the near future if you download a decent amount through streaming or actual files.
    Forum Member
    Also upload speeds are increased which is desirable by some.
    Upload speeds on ADSL are still stuck back in the dark ages with many still only having 1mb upload speed.

On ADSL I currently have 15mb download - 1mb upload.
    On fibre I would have about 80mb download and 20mb upload.

So with fibre, my upload speed would be faster than my current download speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously people who don't download large amounts won't benefit much from higher speed fibre connections. The internet is growing in information though. It's only a matter of time before fibre connections are needed to experience newer, information intensive online videos that will start appearing all over the place. The information in files online is increasing all the time, whether it be through streaming or downloading. Fibre is what will be needed in the near future if you download a decent amount through streaming or actual files.

Depends how low your speed is on ADSL and how many people are using that connection at the same time. if you got say around 10Mb/s or more, you can still download a decent amount of data.

Not sure what you mean about intensive videos appearing all over the place, unless you mean advertising and videos just starting up when you visit a webpage. I know that is starting to happen anyway and even on a faster speed it will be annoying. Facebook for instance is sticking video in peoples feed, as of yet I have not seen any, but it will happen.

But if people need to use these faster speeds because no fault of their own that website designers are once again, thinking they know best, then the price of FTTC will have to come down to ADSl prices, and pretty quick.

a fair few people I know that are on ADSL, is on a low wage or even no wage at all and I can't see them forking out more money just so advertising can slow down their broadband again.

Thankfully, I have got a choice and for what I do and for what I want, the service I am on does the job, at the moment, I don't see any need to pay out extra for another 10Mb/s, because it will make little difference in the way I use my broadband.

Sure if my provider came out and said we will up your speed for the same price, I would take it, but I am not paying any extra for.

But this is right for me and may not be right for everyone, other wise I would be trying to convert people to go with the service I am on, but i don't.

Also upload speeds are increased which is desirable by some.
    Upload speeds on ADSL are still stuck back in the dark ages with many still only having 1mb upload speed.

On ADSL I currently have 15mb download - 1mb upload.
    On fibre I would have about 80mb download and 20mb upload.

So with fibre, my upload speed would be faster than my current download speed.

The upload speed is the main reason why a mate of mine went to FTTC, he uploads a lot of videos music to different sites, so a upload speed of 20Mb/s was a lot better than the 512Kb/s he was getting on ADSL.
    Forum Member
    Well, most of the hole has now been filled in and tarmacked over and currently they are finishing off around the corner where the pipe that leads to the new cabinet is being tunnelled into a pit with a square manhole cover (I'm sure there is a more technical name for it). They should be finished in a few days and then the cable pullers can start their part of the job.

I wonder if I supply them with coffee all day, they might make a mistake an accidently connect my line to the new cab? :D
    Forum Member
    So what is the next revolution after FTTC? When new things come out, prices on 'old' technology fall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how low your speed is on ADSL and how many people are using that connection at the same time. if you got say around 10Mb/s or more, you can still download a decent amount of data.

Not sure what you mean about intensive videos appearing all over the place, unless you mean advertising and videos just starting up when you visit a webpage. I know that is starting to happen anyway and even on a faster speed it will be annoying. Facebook for instance is sticking video in peoples feed, as of yet I have not seen any, but it will happen.

But if people need to use these faster speeds because no fault of their own that website designers are once again, thinking they know best, then the price of FTTC will have to come down to ADSl prices, and pretty quick.

a fair few people I know that are on ADSL, is on a low wage or even no wage at all and I can't see them forking out more money just so advertising can slow down their broadband again.

Thankfully, I have got a choice and for what I do and for what I want, the service I am on does the job, at the moment, I don't see any need to pay out extra for another 10Mb/s, because it will make little difference in the way I use my broadband.

Sure if my provider came out and said we will up your speed for the same price, I would take it, but I am not paying any extra for.

But this is right for me and may not be right for everyone, other wise I would be trying to convert people to go with the service I am on, but i don't.

The upload speed is the main reason why a mate of mine went to FTTC, he uploads a lot of videos music to different sites, so a upload speed of 20Mb/s was a lot better than the 512Kb/s he was getting on ADSL.

I didn't say intensive videos, I said information intensive. I meant that videos, either through streaming or downloading, will contain much more information and because of this, they'll be a lot bigger in size. Advertising on websites will likely hardly have any impact on a superfast fibre connection. Besides, the speed of the processor and the graphics card will determine how fast the flash adverts appear on the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is the next revolution after FTTC? When new things come out, prices on 'old' technology fall.

The next thing to come along will be FTTP. This will provide a pure digital connection to your house. I think after FTTP, things will just carry on getting faster every once in a while until a newer technology comes along. I doubt we'll get to see whatever comes after FTTP though. After looking on the BT site last night, 300Mbits is supposed to be the speed of FTTP. Websites have a long way to go before they start eating up fibre connections. SOME might, but I suspect most won't max them out though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next thing to come along will be FTTP. This will provide a pure digital connection to your house. I think after FTTP, things will just carry on getting faster every once in a while until a newer technology comes along. I doubt we'll get to see whatever comes after FTTP though. After looking on the BT site last night, 300Mbits is supposed to be the speed of FTTP. Websites have a long way to go before they start eating up fibre connections. SOME might, but I suspect most won't max them out though.

I thought this might be the case, but BT could be saying that that's the maximum that they'll be offering on it at the minute.
    Forum Member
    I thought this might be the case, but BT could be saying that that's the maximum that they'll be offering on it at the minute.

But the fly in the ointment is always how fast is the place that is sending it? It's all fine on a big companies server but if you are getting a file from your friend in New Zealand who only has 1mb upload speed, then it will be an expensive slow connection.