Options

'I thought eating Special K with double cream and jam was HEALTHY'

Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
Forum Member
✭✭
Wow, who would have guessed you don't lose weight by eating all this crap? Is it April 1st already? Really - how much of an idiot do you have to be to believe this is healthy eating?

(I'd be more embarrassed to admit what a flurking idiot I am)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2566668/Man-piled-pounds-thanks-balanced-diet-actually-loaded-calories.html

'For breakfast I'd have Special K with bananas and sultanas and then pour double cream on top,' he says. 'I thought it was healthy because of the Special K in there.

'I was eating semi-correctly or believing I was. I thought I was eating plenty of fruit and salad. I thought if I ate one piece of fruit a day, then I was eating healthily.'

'For breakfast, I would eat cereal liberally smothered with double cream,' admits Murray.

'Sometimes I'd put jam on it, thinking jam is healthy because it's made from fruit, or would have golden syrup on it.

'Then, for a mid-morning snack, I would take some bacon and grill it. I thought if I added some tomatoes to it, it would be OK to have an enormous baguette.

'For lunch, if I was close to home, I'd go and have chicken and chips, and then, if I had a day off, would carry on and have fish and chips as well.

'At work, I would take as much food as possible as I could: three sandwiches and a large apple pie, for a family of four, to keep me going through the shift. If we had downtime, I'd have McDonalds too.'

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure peanut butter and jelly (or should say jam) is healthy either.

Nice though mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about it being healthy, but Special K with double cream and jam just doesn't sound appealing to me at all, and I'm not a fussy eater. Strange combination :o
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my word, reminds me of the Chawners. When asked by a dietitian what foods were healthy and low in calories, Audrey said, 'Trifle?'. Lolol. And then Sam was eating watermelon.. great, right? Except she was putting scones and cream on top of it. :o Who'd have thought that the weight would pile back on?
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who remembered that scene in the Simpsons where Homer puts a lot of fatty things on a rice cake, believing it would only have 35 calories?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my word, reminds me of the Chawners. When asked by a dietitian what foods were healthy and low in calories, Audrey said, 'Trifle?'. Lolol. And then Sam was eating watermelon.. great, right? Except she was putting scones and cream on top of it. :o Who'd have thought that the weight would pile back on?

Another weird combination! How do they come up with these? :o
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I used to know someone who drank cans of Slimfast, in addition to his normal meals, and couldn't understand why he was gaining weight. He genuinely thought Slimfast had some magical ingredient that caused weightloss. He just couldn't understand the concept that Slimfast are meal replacements :D
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fool! It's like saying a doner kebab is healthy because it comes with salad. :p
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I have special K each morning, with crushed vitamin pills liberally sprinkled over the the top, and maple syrup, then I scatter bacon bits , and lard on it.

I avoid using milk because it makes people fat.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Oh my word, reminds me of the Chawners. When asked by a dietitian what foods were healthy and low in calories, Audrey said, 'Trifle?'. Lolol.

I'm sure Phil repeated lettuce a few times, like that was the only healthy thing he could name.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw bless!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    jam was ok because it had fruit in it....genius!
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I really don't know how people get themselves dressed in the morning, what a moron.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked at the ingredients for special K, and it might be low fat, but its about 30% sugar - as I'm diabetic I have either porridge or mini shredded wheats if I have cereal
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reads like something out of a 90s issue of Viz comic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked at the ingredients for special K, and it might be low fat, but its about 30% sugar - as I'm diabetic I have either porridge or mini shredded wheats if I have cereal

It's shit, tbh. As are most of these sugar-filled cereals. They market the stuff as if it's the ultimate in health food, so it's not surprising lots of people are misled by it.

Some folk see "low fat" and forget to consider the sugar content.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I know how he feels. I spent a year eating All-Bran with a block of lard and a bag of sugar on it, thinking it was healthy. But I just got fat.
    These cereals are a con.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like porridge with cream and honey now and again.

Anyway yeah he knows it's not healthy - it's just some logic he's cooked up to excuse his eating. Like me telling myself maltesers are fine because they're practically all air and soleros are one of my five a day.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hard to believe some of these stories - who has cream on their cereal and who doesn't know that cream is fattening?

I think the DM is growing these f'witts on a farm somewhere.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that the Special k website claims sugar is an "essential part of a balanced diet" should be enough to keep people away. Its hard to believe people can be dumb enough to fall for their ads.................until you read the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    The fact that the Special k website claims sugar is an "essential part of a balanced diet" should be enough to keep people away. Its hard to believe people can be dumb enough to fall for their ads.................until you read the Daily Mail.

Why are you bashing the cereal itself, when it is the man who added stuff to it that is the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember watching Lorraine Kelly's Big Fat Challenge. Did any of them ever lose weight?
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I remember watching Lorraine Kelly's Big Fat Challenge. Did any of them ever lose weight?

No,the got their own show on some sattelite channel. One of the girls was sent to America, she lost weight then got home and it all piled on again
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I actually think Emma and Sam could change if they left their parents to sort themselves out. Living with those two idiots is only going to make their lives worse. I think Audrey is a lost cause, and I'm sorry if that sounds cruel but from what I saw she uses every excuse under the sun not to get off her arse and move. She probably does have genuine health concerns, but I saw no desire to change in her whatsoever. Phil's not as bad you can see he only stays because he's got nothing else in his life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    No,the got their own show on some sattelite channel. One of the girls was sent to America, she lost weight then got home and it all piled on again

Bloody hell, who funded the trip to America? :o What a shame she put all the weight back on though. I'd have thought the initial weight loss would have spurred her on and motivated her to get down to a normal size. Was it Sam that went, or Emma?
    I actually think Emma and Sam could change if they left their parents to sort themselves out. Living with those two idiots is only going to make their lives worse. I think Audrey is a lost cause, and I'm sorry if that sounds cruel but from what I saw she uses every excuse under the sun not to get off her arse and move. She probably does have genuine health concerns, but I saw no desire to change in her whatsoever. Phil's not as bad you can see he only stays because he's got nothing else in his life.

The programme used to make me furious with them, then terribly sad for all of them, especially the girls. Someone should have intervened when they were still at school.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double cream and jam might be OK in moderation but Kellogg's Special K is highly processed junk food.