Options

Alternative Stock iPhone Apps You Use or Recommend

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I use Camera+ as my main camera app and only last night I discovered myMail which i'm now using as my main email client.

Obviously you can't change the default stock apps 'properly', but you can move them out of the way to the 'Extras' folder, clear any settings for them and use the alternatives.

So any decent recommendations ?. I imagine many will likely have Chrome as an alternative to Safari for starters ..

Comments

• Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use an App called 'Jasmine' for YouTube, offering better video quality.

http://reviews.cnet.com/software/jasmine-ios/4505-3513_7-35561005.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I use Jasmine too. The standard YouTube application is shoddy compared to Jasmine.

I take a lot of notes on my iPhone and I do use the standard notes application however I use Microsoft OneNote as well. It's probably not the best but it's a good alternative.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for jasmine, I've been using it for probably 2-3 years now, main reason being you can set the quality from anything to low to 1080p, where as on the other youtube apps you don't even get a option unless you use the actual website in safari.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might have to check out Jasmine.

I use a note taking app called myNotes as well which is quite good - you can add different categories and notes under each category which is proving surprisingly useful.
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    I use an App called 'Jasmine' for YouTube, offering better video quality.

http://reviews.cnet.com/software/jasmine-ios/4505-3513_7-35561005.html

+1 for Jasmine. Been using it for a while mainly because of the support for selecting high quality playback on mobile networks.

I still have the official YouTube app installed though as I find Jasmine isn't too good for searching for videos, so I usually search using the YouTube app, add to watch later and then switch to Jasmine.

Jasmine also allows you to start a video playing, close the app, then open control centre and hit play to have the audio to continue to play even when the app isn't open.
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Another vote for jasmine, I've been using it for probably 2-3 years now, main reason being you can set the quality from anything to low to 1080p, where as on the other youtube apps you don't even get a option unless you use the actual website in safari.

The official YouTube app does support quality selection but only on Wi-Fi.
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »

Hardly. You can choose 720p HD or not HD.. That is it.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for Jasmine. Been using it for a while mainly because of the support for selecting high quality playback on mobile networks.

I still have the official YouTube app installed though as I find Jasmine isn't too good for searching for videos, so I usually search using the YouTube app, add to watch later and then switch to Jasmine.

Jasmine also allows you to start a video playing, close the app, then open control centre and hit play to have the audio to continue to play even when the app isn't open.

I did forget to add the words "over your data connection", but it looks like even then it's only a limited choice of quality settings according to the guy above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know that. I'm going to try that, hopefully it saves some battery!
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I'm going to try that, hopefully it saves some battery!

It will still stream the entire video but obviously there are savings to be made in the screen being off whilst listening to music videos and the like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to bump this with a couple of new ones i've found ..

"Dial +" is a very nice alternative to the stock dialler app. it's free with the option to purchase additional skins, or you can use your own photos to skin the dialler for free if you want.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dial+/id792648993?mt=8

"Note'd" is another very nice alternative to the notepad app. You can create seperate notebooks, each with their own individual style.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/noted/id507362852?mt=8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone is looking at this thread, this is a screen grab of the "Moto" skin you can get for the Dial+ dialler .. very cool :)

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ajqq1y.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mymail is nice but seems to goto sleep a lot and then gives a splash screen every time I open it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And i don't think they've updated it for some time as well - all these promised new features that never seem to appear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing i've never seen an alternative app for (yet) on iTunes is Facebook ..
  • Options
    neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calendars 5 by Readdle is my iOS calendar app on i phone and i pad. It is a universal app so good value at reduced price of £1.99.
    Drafts by Agile tortoise is one of my most used apps. Drafts strength is that it integrates with so many other iOS apps and it's lightning fast as well.
    Also love Tweetbot to replace the standard iOS app for Twitter.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Week Calendar on the iPhone instead of the built in calendar. Has nicer view options and is easy to customise.

Friendcaster is a Facebook alternative for Android and iPad, but there isn't an iPhone version. I've not used it though.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the good things about using Gmail, Chrome and other Google apps is that they can each be set to open the appropriate link/content in the relevant other Google app, so although you can't set them as the actual system default, you can still (generally) seamlessly go from one Google app to another without having to touch Mail or Safari etc.
  • Options
    neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    One of the good things about using Gmail, Chrome and other Google apps is that they can each be set to open the appropriate link/content in the relevant other Google app, so although you can't set them as the actual system default, you can still (generally) seamlessly go from one Google app to another without having to touch Mail or Safari etc.

It's your choice but why would you use a i phone and then fill it with Google ad ware ?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it "adware"?

I use Gmail, so I use the Gmail app. Better than using Gmail via the stock Mail app.

I hate Safari, so use Chrome.[same on my iMac]

Apple Maps is awful, so I use Google Maps.

And then there's no Apple equivalent of the Google search app, G+ app, YouTube, Google Drive, etc. I do use iBooks rather than Google Play Books, though.

Having an iPhone doesn't mean I have to only use Apple apps.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlecR wrote: »
    Hardly. You can choose 720p HD or not HD.. That is it.

What's the problem, the iPhone isn't even 720p anyway.