Options

Where is "home" for you?

BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay, so I'm starting a new stalking trend...

J/K :D

What I mean is, is home where you live currently, or do you think of where you grew up as home? Do your parents still live in the home you grew up in?

I envy those who can still go back to the house/home they grew up in. We moved around a lot and never stayed in any place for more than 3 or 4 years. The house where my mom and her husband live is probably the closest thing to what I would call 'home', but they moved there when I was 24 so I don't have any special growing up memories associated with it.

Comments

• Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not lived in my home town for about five years and I'll be spending the next five years or so travelling abroad. But when I do return to the UK, I'll settle back in my home town. It'll always be home to me.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wherever I lay my hat...that's my home.

Sorry, couldn't resist :-D
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suffolk. I have only lived here for 10yrs, but to me it is home. I was raised and lived in Essex for 25yrs, and when I go back it feels alien to me.

My parents moved to Suffolk to live closer to me just over a year ago now.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family moved around a lot, so I didn't really have a 'home' in that sense.

Or not until I moved to the city i live in now.

I've been in this flat over a year, and I'm working on thinking of it as my 'home forever'. It's fine for my needs and in a very beautiful and convenient place. And is a good place to grow old.

But the flat I lived in for sixteen years is about a quarter of a mile away, it was the bottom floor of a Georgian house, and I still sometimes cry about losing it.

That was my home.
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still refer to the town I grew up in as home but I haven't lived there for 17 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Home" for me is a broad area, covering pretty much three-quarters of the London Borough I live in, as I was born and raised here and have lived throughout this area (the northernmost part is pretty much alien to me and is a stark contrast to the rest of the Borough). It could also be extended to cover a small part of an adjoining London Borough ten minutes down the road, since I've spent so much time there over the years it's pretty much "local" to me now.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home is where my parents live and in that country. They still live in the house I grew up in.

I love where I am now. It has been my home for the past few years, all of my adult life, but where my parents are has always been and will always be my permanent home.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the place where i live is home for me
  • Options
    monkeypuzzlermonkeypuzzler Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Where I live is home. My parents no longer live where I grew up but even when they still did it was the house I share with my OH that counts at home. I remember being quite offended many years back by him describing going to visit his Mum as going 'home'!
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't consider any particular place home. Home is the roof I currently sleep under.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Im from Sheffield, but London is home now
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a child we moved around quite a lot...so never got to feel "settled" as such.

For the last 10 years home has been surrey..but home for really means where my OH is ..so wherever we end up in years to come will be home.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,452
    Forum Member
    My manor.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The place where I live.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home is where I live now.

I lived in Croydon, which I regard as hell on earth, until my early 30's. My late parents moved to Milton Keynes (purgatory on earth) a few years after I left home.

When I moved to Sussex 20-odd years ago, I felt as though it was my spiritual home and can't imagine living anywhere else really.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I currently live. Where my house is. My current job has given me reason to consider relocating - something the family did several times and I did a couple of decades ago. But I've decided against it. Brackley is my home and here I stay :)
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    I've always wondered what it would be like to live on an island (I don't mean the UK), somewhere like the Isles of Scilly.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I have a home with my boyfriend now, but I will always regard my real home as the house my grandparents still live in now almost 40 odd years after they moved there. I didn't have that stability with my parents, I hope to be able to offer a stable home for my children in the future.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents still live in the house I was born in, and I do go back there regularly (it's about 150 miles away from where I live) and I do love it there. For quite a few years after I moved away I thought of that as 'home'. I lived in Switzerland for a year, and then at uni in Dundee for 4 years, and then at uni in Sheffield for 2 years, and for all that time, my parents' place was definitely 'home'. Then I bought my house in 2000, and a few years later I noticed that I was talking to people about going 'to my parents house for Christmas', and about 'coming home for New Year', and I realised that somewhere along the line I'd stopped thinking of my parents' place as home. I do still love it there, and there are lots of memories there, but my old bedroom no longer exists and they've redecorated lots of the rooms, and it's been over 20 years since I lived there. I definitely feel that my own house is home now - this is where I'm most relaxed, where everything is the way I want it, where I'm most comfortable and at ease.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no 'home', I was born England, lived in 3 different towns there before moving to NI at 14 by which at that stage was my 6th different house.

I will be heading to ROI for uni hopefully shortly and probably emigrating yet again after that.

As far as I am concerned the world is my home. :)
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope I will always consider Brighton my home, spent 18 years growing up in various houses across the city. When I thought I'd had enough of it I wanted it more - I visit at least every two weeks, purely because it's so easy from London.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    wherever i`m living is home but my spirit is home where i was raised.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so I'm starting a new stalking trend...

J/K :D

What I mean is, is home where you live currently, or do you think of where you grew up as home? Do your parents still live in the home you grew up in?

I envy those who can still go back to the house/home they grew up in. We moved around a lot and never stayed in any place for more than 3 or 4 years. The house where my mom and her husband live is probably the closest thing to what I would call 'home', but they moved there when I was 24 so I don't have any special growing up memories associated with it.

Interesting question. My house is my home, it's where I live (obviously!) and where me and the OH and our son have made our life so I suppose it would be the first place I would think of if asked about where my home was.

However, my mum and dad still live in the house I grew up in, we moved there when I was nearly six and they're still there 38 years later, so that is still home but my bedroom no longer exists and it doesn't really look anything like it did when I was growing up there! I also still have fond memories of the house we lived in before that.

And, thirdly, home is also the little Yorkshire market town where I come from and where I've lived in about 10 different houses/flats/houseshares over the years :D
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    a good question OP.
    Is home classed as the house or area , i guess it is different for us all. 'Home' means different things.

Now i am living with the man i love & our cat can't forget him :p i see that as my home. But i grew up in Wolverhampton the first 19.5 years of my life , i may live 10 miles away in a small village but i can't help feel that will always be my home. And that is as much as i love living here , i won't ever forget where i am from.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Just England really...born in what is now Greater Manc, moved to Essex as a youngling then Surrey for University and various locations in all quadrants of London since then.