Land registry symbol help

Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
Forum Member
Me and my neighbours have been is a dispute about who owns a fence.

I bought a copy of the title plan but I don't understand the symbol.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z31/Mastspotter/housedeed_zpsbbc72acf.jpg

Now is that symbol a T or a 1?
And does anyone know what they mean?

Cheers

Comments

• DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is not a very good map IMO.

I don't think it is either a T or a 1

I also don't think it is anything to do with the fence\boundary as marks for those are normally marked on the fence\boundary

Have you searched the Land registry site for a key to "marks"
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    That is not a very good map IMO.

I don't think it is either a T or a 1

I also don't think it is anything to do with the fence\boundary as marks for those are normally marked on the fence\boundary

Have you searched the Land registry site for a key to "marks"

Yeah. I have asked on their help section to.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the T usually points towards the owner of the fence.

if its an H, then its both
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which section of the fence is disputed? To front or rear of properties?
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    The rear.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks quite poor compared to what I've seen from the Land Registry before, and it clearly explains on their website the issues regarding "T"s etc...
    http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/boundaries
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so what side are the posts or struts? The law presumes that the side with the posts is the side that owns the fence, according to gardenlaw.co.uk. The outer face should be on the limits of the owner's land, ie without encroaching on the neighbour's land.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Ok, so what side are the posts or struts? The law presumes that the side with the posts is the side that owns the fence, according to gardenlaw.co.uk. The outer face should be on the limits of the owner's land, ie without encroaching on the neighbour's land.

No it doesn't, as has been disproved many times on here before now as well as on the actual land registry website.

From the link I've already provided:
    "Common beliefs about ownership of boundary features:

There is no legal foundation for the belief that boundary features on the right (or on the left) as you look at the property from the front are automatically owned by the owner of the property. Nor is it the case that the post and rails of a fence are necessarily on the owner's side.

Deeds may contain wording where one owner covenants (promises) to maintain a wall or fence but such covenants do not necessarily mean that the owner concerned owns the wall or fence."
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Poorest map i've seen its useless looks more like an estate agent map.

Who ever put the fence up owns it and it shuld be on the boundary or just set back onto their land a little.

The is no law that the has to be any fence at all, Unless to keep animals in, so the owner can remove it all together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    No it doesn't, as has been disproved many times on here before now as well as on the actual land registry website.

From the link I've already provided:
    "Common beliefs about ownership of boundary features:

There is no legal foundation for the belief that boundary features on the right (or on the left) as you look at the property from the front are automatically owned by the owner of the property. Nor is it the case that the post and rails of a fence are necessarily on the owner's side.

Deeds may contain wording where one owner covenants (promises) to maintain a wall or fence but such covenants do not necessarily mean that the owner concerned owns the wall or fence."

Take that up with my cited source then, smarty pants, not me.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member

I think the land registry site probably trumps the site you mentioned. Which I can't look at as it says the page is unavailable when I type it in.
    ETA finally got on and given their disclaimer I think they're probably just repeating the old wives tale about whose boundary is whose.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    It is definitely a 1

If you have a copy of the register for your property, there will be an entry referenced something like "numbered 1 on the title plan" or "As to the land numbered 1 on the title plan"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The official Land Registry website versus a privately owned site whose links are out of date and who hasn't even updated any of their info pages in 4 years... hmm... let me think... :D