Optical Express - Laser Eye Surgery

javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey, I know there are a few laser eye surgery threads already floating about - but after reading none covered what I needed to know and/or pretty old.

I had a consultation earlier today with Optical Express for laser eye and was just wondering if anyone on here has done the same and went through with the surgery with regards to cost?

They quoted me a high amount and when I mentioned what I assumed it would be (a friend had a similar prescription so I based around £500 more) they knocked off £500! So it took down the price slightly but its still pricy. Now this incentive is only if I 'book in by Saturday'. No specific date but just to know I'll do it and pay a deposit. The lady mentioned that it should be booked by saturday or 'she can be 90% sure to get me the incentive next week as well' which just seems as a quick sales/booking tactic.

I don't intend in doing it as I want more time to think about it and get other consultations done. But I was also wondering if they will likely bring the price down in the coming weeks or will they just put the 'original' price back up and just wait for me to contact them to book. I do intend on 'haggling' :o;) when I do eventually book it as I've read others have and friends have managed to do it before and they allow it!

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    This is serious surgery and although many people get fair to good results, sometimes things go wrong and the patient might need a lot of aftercare and more operations.

In terms of your welfare, I'd suggest that you look at the reputation of the clinic first before deciding things on cost alone. Clinics attached to NHS hospitals and private reputable sector clinics (Accuvision, Grange, etc.) seem to have the best reptations and the heavily advertised bargain basement clinics seem to have the worst reputation for clinical outcomes and complication rates.

It might be an idea to check here http://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk/ and look at the ratings and how the clinics deal with problems when they arise. It might, for example, be worth saving up a bit more and go a clinic with a better reputation. Whatever you decide, I hope things work out for you.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you want the surgery done by a monkey with a blunt butter knife then nobody pays £500 per eye. Don't feel pressured about them trying to sign you up, I didn't sign up straight away even though they offered 'discount' for that week. However surprise, surprise I had a call from them a week later offering an even cheaper price. Also if you are willing to take a late cancellation then you can usually get a good discount.
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I'm definitely not rushing into anything. I mean these are my eyes of course I want them done somewhere where I feel most comfortable - cost is just a bonus. ;) I don't intend on getting them done until next year at the earliest anyways I just wanted to find out suitability/cost so I can plan around it. :)

I have a consultation with Ultralase lined up today just to get an overall experience of how I think they are. I'm expecting it to be more expensive but I've generally also heard more positives - overall.

And thanks TU, I shall look at the site you linked. I have looked at Accuvision before but they are too far away. It seems harder to find them in Scotland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had surgery with Optical Express in July. I paid a total of £2500 for the "Wavefront" surgery rather than their standard surgery which would have been £1200 (so about £600 an eye).

To be honest, I can't fault them. On the day it is a bit of a factory as you go through the various stages and consultations and you are aware that there are other people having it done too, but, there are a number of after care appointments (next day, 7 days and 30 days and 6 months). I never for once felt they were slap dash or anything.

I had my initial consultation and then booked and paid a deposit straight away. They are quite pushy in trying to get you booked up, I asusme they are on commission, but I cannot complain about anything else.

My only gripe is that I was told I'd be ok to go home by myself on the train after the surgery but I went with my wife and I definately needed her help.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    My only gripe is that I was told I'd be ok to go home by myself on the train after the surgery but I went with my wife and I definately needed her help.

You're not the only person I have heard this from and one of those people when to moorfield which is supposed to be the best place in the UK for eye surgery.

Basically I would say to any who is having the procedure done to take somebody with you and TBH, drive if possible at all. It really is pretty uncomfortable for a couple of hours. I have to say optical express at lakeside told me to bring somebody with me but that could be because we were driving.
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After going to Ultralase I do think I'd rather go there to get it done. They seemed more prepared and thorough.

In comparison, the Optical Express consult felt rushed and unexplained - besides from things I already knew or were in info packs. Though I did think the optician at Ultralase spoke negatively about other practices a bit too much for my liking. It felt unprofessional to me.

They didn't seem in a hurry to sign you either which helped.