Options

Horrible foul-up (binge eating)

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
Basically I just had a massive binge-eat, consuming about 1500 calories in an hour.

I ate about two thirds of a tube of pringles, two-thirds of a packet of nuts, 2 chocolate bars and 2 cans of coke...

I feel so bad, and really wanna get it all up, but failing that what can I do?! Will I gain much weight? Does drinking water help??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't panic!
    Draw a line under it, and maybe don't eat anything else this evening.
    Have a healthy day tomorrow and for the rest of the week (not starvation measures though!), and there shouldn't be too much damage done:)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The typical daily requirements for a woman are 2,000 calories so although that is in one sitting there is nothing to worry about. You will not put on any significant amount of weight from one "binge" like that. Even if it was all put down as fat you would gain less than half a pound but in reality not that much especially if you haven't eaten your fill already in the day.

The bigger concern would be why you are so worried about what is at worst a minor aberration. Unless you do this every day there is nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    you are a growing teenager it wont make a bit of difference you wouldn't have even gained a pound
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically I just had a massive binge-eat, consuming about 1500 calories in an hour.

I ate about two thirds of a tube of pringles, two-thirds of a packet of nuts, 2 chocolate bars and 2 cans of coke...

I feel so bad, and really wanna get it all up, but failing that what can I do?! Will I gain much weight? Does drinking water help??

It is (nearly) Christmas I suppose! :D
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why did you do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why did you do this?

Well I haven't eaten junk food in a about 4 or 5 days and then there was loads in the house, so I just went for it unfortunately :(
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I haven't eaten junk food in a about 4 or 5 days and then there was loads in the house, so I just went for it unfortunately :(

You could always try something like the Atkins plan to curb binges of junk food, sweets and fizzy drinks. You can lose up to a stone in two weeks!
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not binge-eating. That's a snack.

If you're that worried over something so little, then go and run a couple of miles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    You could always try something like the Atkins plan to curb binges of junk food, sweets and fizzy drinks. You can lose up to a stone in two weeks!

Yes a stone of water as you lose glycogen. There is no need to go on these fad diets and the OP may well not be overweight anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

If you're that worried over something so little, then go and run a couple of miles.

No it's not, it's disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

Indeed nowhere near binge eating or even a snack for a lot of people who binge but the Op is only just 16 and quite naive about the real world
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping active will a) help focus your mind away from eating (i.e. act as a distraction); and b) burn off many off those excess calories.

Don't stress about it. I know that's easier said than done, but the fact that you're feeling guilty about it is reason enough to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again for a while. Remember how you're feeling now, each time you see an unopened packet of biscuits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Keeping active will a) help focus your mind away from eating (i.e. act as a distraction); and b) burn off many off those excess calories.

Don't stress about it. I know that's easier said than done, but the fact that you're feeling guilty about it is reason enough to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again for a while. Remember how you're feeling now, each time you see an unopened packet of biscuits.

he's barely 16 he shouldn't be thinking abut it at all
  • Options
    susiesuesusiesue Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I ate about two thirds of a tube of pringles, two-thirds of a packet of nuts, 2 chocolate bars and 2 cans of coke..

That's not a binge! That's lunch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    susiesue wrote: »
    I ate about two thirds of a tube of pringles, two-thirds of a packet of nuts, 2 chocolate bars and 2 cans of coke..

That's not a binge! That's lunch!

So it's OK to eat 1500 calories in less than an hour..?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In a perfect world it's probably not sensible but it's not that awful. You could for instance eat very little for the rest of the day so your total calorie intake was okay. Of course if you do that every day four times a day then you will become obese but by itself as a one off or infrequent event it is of no consequence whatsoever.

Of course those foods are not very healthy but that is a different issue. Again it depends how you usually live your life and what you eat. By way of comparison I recently got completely drunk, drinking two bottles of wine however since that was extremely unusual it does not indicate a problem other than my hangover.

As I said before the bigger worry is why you are so concerned about this. Is it something you do every day or do you have other issues with food?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    In a perfect world it's probably not sensible but it's not that awful. You could for instance eat very little for the rest of the day so your total calorie intake was okay. Of course if you do that every day four times a day then you will become obese but by itself as a one off or infrequent event it is of no consequence whatsoever.

Of course those foods are not very healthy but that is a different issue. Again it depends how you usually live your life and what you eat. By way of comparison I recently got completely drunk, drinking two bottles of wine however since that was extremely unusual it does not indicate a problem other than my hangover.

As I said before the bigger worry is why you are so concerned about this. Is it something you do every day or do you have other issues with food?

I don't do this often. Only when I go adn buy food and I always realize it's a mistake. It's a concern cos I don't wanna gain any more weight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't do this often. Only when I go adn buy food and I always realize it's a mistake. It's a concern cos I don't wanna gain any more weight.

One tip is to only shop when you are not hungry as then you are less likely to buy the unhealthy stuff. If you only have good food in the house and get used to preparing suitable portions you are probably less likely to binge.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you've ever eaten fish and chips from the chip shop, or a large pizza, or Chinese food, or a roast dinner, or a hearty English breakfast... basically, eating 1500 calories in one sitting is not that hard!
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member

It's not that bad, honestly. If you want to make up for it, just go for a brisk walk each day this week.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this really warrant a thread? You've eaten a few too many crisps, just don't eat any tomorrow.

Unless of course you were just looking for attention, which is probably quite likely.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    Don't panic!
    Draw a line under it, and maybe don't eat anything else this evening.
    Have a healthy day tomorrow and for the rest of the week (not starvation measures though!), and there shouldn't be too much damage done:)

^^^ This. If the urge persists then please try not to give in but instead please try and get some professional help and counselling.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I eat more than that for one meal.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member

Big Mac, large fries and a milkshake would be about the same... not hard to get to that many calories in a short time!
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just did binge and it is bad for me
    I bought quite few large gingerbread man homemade by one of my colleques money raised for charity so much for buying for family
    They were wrapped up separtly
    You can not undo what you done,but please do not worry about it