Top Gear

Comments

• Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I must admit I did find the Land Rover bit somewhat dull. It actually said sod-all about the Land Rover itself as you could have done the same thing with any other heavily modified vehicle.

It struck me as being the sort of stunt you'd usually see on Hamster's other TV shows where the focus is more on "Hamster being brave"! :D

Star In A Reasonably Priced Car Drives Up A Dam
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Star In A Reasonably Priced Car Drives Up A Dam

:D

Like it! Perhaps that could be a new feature!

Mind you, I'd probably still fast-forward through it! ;-)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well last night's TG was more like a proper motoring show which made a refreshing change from Clarkson, May and Hammond arsing about like overgrown schoolkids (hmm...with the possible exception of Hammy winching himself up a dam).
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Well last night's TG was more like a proper motoring show ...

"Vauxhall have brought out a new Corsa
    <Silence>
    <Tumbleweed blows through>
    No - I've got nothing to say"... (or words to that effect) :-)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched last weeks on the iplayer (Ambulances), absolutely brilliant, i was in bloody tears, hilarious, best episode ive seen for ages that :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Well last night's TG was more like a proper motoring show which made a refreshing change from Clarkson, May and Hammond arsing about like overgrown schoolkids (hmm...with the possible exception of Hammy winching himself up a dam).
    "Vauxhall have brought out a new Corsa
    <Silence>
    <Tumbleweed blows through>
    No - I've got nothing to say"... (or words to that effect) :-)

Yeah ... I loved the deliberate irony of "how boring would it be if it was just about cars?" comment on an episode which was primarily about cars! :D

One of the things I like about TG is that they do mix it up with challenges, general hooning around, mickey-taking and more "serious" reviews.

If it was just car reviews, it wouldn't work nearly as well for me because (a) some cars don't interest me in the slightest, and (b) there are loads of excellent car reviews available on-line. Clarkson's i8 review was "interesting" in that it offered his perspective on the car, but I didn't learn anything more about the car itself as I'd already watched several (much more detailed and informative) reviews on-line. (Try searching "BMW i8" on YouTube and you'll get my drift!)

The same goes for the AMG GT and the new M3 as I didn't learn anything more about the car.

So, thank goodness for a bit of variety! I wouldn't want every episode to follow exactly the same format ... whether it was ten versions of last week's show, or ten versions of this week's show.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good episode but I wouldn't want to many episode like this, prefer the outlandish silly episodes.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else spot the Chile flag last night :)
    Forum Member
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    A good episode but I wouldn't want to many episode like this, prefer the outlandish silly episodes.

You mean winching a Land Rover up a dam wasn't silly or outlandish :)
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else spot the Chile flag last night :)

They were on the coffee mugs last week too. At first I though it was a Texas state flag but then it clicked with me that the blue star section was on top of the red not to the side... Ahh, Chile.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suddenly gone right off Will Smith and I wasn't that into him before.
    Why, what did he do to upset you??
    shady1999 wrote: »
    Beautifully shot, showed off our country at it's best...
    I notice that as well, looked like a place you would drive to just to help clear your mind. I'm normally not one into sports cars that much but the two featured really caught my eye and funnily enough, I happen to see a white i8 on the way home from work.
    That was one of the best guest interviews for me :D

And that dam climb with Hammond was terrifying, how was that allowed.
    I tend to use the interview part to make a cuppa but stayed put to watch it, best one for some time. Good episode all round.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the point of the dam climb ? needlessly dangerous, nothing much happened and then they chose to belittle it afterwards anyway...almost like they thought it was going to be a good idea for a sketch and then realised it wasn't.
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    What was the point of the dam climb ? needlessly dangerous, nothing much happened and then they chose to belittle it afterwards anyway...almost like they thought it was going to be a good idea for a sketch and then realised it wasn't.

I got the impression (rightly or wrongly!) that it was a Hamster "pet project" and the other two really weren't that impressed.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed last night's episode. I think a few car show episodes per series stikes a nice balance.

I was surprised about that i8 mpg stat. Even in lab conditions how can you go from 150mpg to 30 in real life usage? :eek:

There was a good programme about Land Rover last year. It might have been The Petrol Age on Sky. But that was a documentary kind of show and not a 10 minute segment in a light entertainment show so TG wouldn't be able to do the same.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Why, what did he do to upset you??

I notice that as well, looked like a place you would drive to just to help clear your mind. I'm normally not one into sports cars that much but the two featured really caught my eye and funnily enough, I happen to see a white i8 on the way home from work.

I tend to use the interview part to make a cuppa but stayed put to watch it, best one for some time. Good episode all round.

The best parts of the country are the parts where there`s NO people.. says it all really
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I enjoyed last night's episode. I think a few car show episodes per series stikes a nice balance.

I was surprised about that i8 mpg stat. Even in lab conditions how can you go from 150mpg to 30 in real life usage? :eek:

There was a good programme about Land Rover last year. It might have been The Petrol Age on Sky. But that was a documentary kind of show and not a 10 minute segment in a light entertainment show so TG wouldn't be able to do the same.

It's because of the way fuel figures are calculated.

The "imperial combined" figure for the i8 is 134 mpg, but that figure is an average of two sets of readings.

The first is the "urban cycle" in which the car starts with a full battery charge and is driven on a rolling road to simulate a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31 mph, average speed 12 mph and the distance covered is 2.5 miles.

The second is the "extra urban cycle" which consists of roughly half steady speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph, average speed is 39 mph and the distance covered is 4.3 miles.

The i8 has a battery range of 15 miles!

The two cycles are then repeated but with a "significantly depleted" battery, and the figures are averaged.

Interestingly, the official test figure from the the US Department of Energy is "28mpg combined"!
    Forum Member

You have watched Top Gear before?

You did watch the whole thing?

It was a pointless stunt...that is the point.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

obviously wasn't watching when they TOLD YOU WHY!!!

captain slow
    :D
  • MacBurpMacBurp Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    This was the first episode of this series that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. I like the boys mucking about just as much as anyone, but they've gone a bit too far this series. The Ambulance episode felt contrived and rather tedious,

Lets have mucking about and some cars!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps they redo some of the old Citroen adverts, they used to be the most spectacular. The best was blowing out a tyre whilst driving between two artics at speed. I think there was about 12" gap each side of the car but could have been less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has no one managed to get any 'offensive' interpretation out of John Torode's number plate last night in Argentina, surely there must be something that they can offended about!
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Has no one managed to get any 'offensive' interpretation out of John Torode's number plate last night in Argentina, surely there must be something that they can offended about!

Probably too busy being offended by the mere sight of John Torode! :D
  • ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Was the number plate C*** UNT
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukbadge wrote: »
    Was the number plate ############

From memory so not guaranteed, NNS 307
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Range Rover? Range Rover? That's worse than the thread last week in Football about The Premier Ship. Land Rover. World of difference.

Personally I thought that whole Land Rover section was wasted. The world's best vehicle coming to the end of the line (despite what JC said after it) and all it gets is Hammond showing us his failure to restore one followed by a too long film of one winching itself up a dam? So much more that they could have done with it; that was a waste of effort, telling us that if you put a spare engine on a cradle in the back of one and use it to power a winch, it can haul a heavy weight up a slope? Whoa. Big deal. Good advert for winches and engines in cradles though.

Sorry, I'll not watch it next week.
This discussion has been closed.