What is your weird habit?

Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have two, first is everytime I see a new model of car I have a desire to put a tiny scratch on its bodywork and the second is I touch my nose three times before I leave the house.

And yes I know scratching is wrong but I just cannot stop doing it.

Comments

• vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like dutch ovening myself.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    My weirdest "habit" is actually quite a big problem.

I find it almost impossible to properly finish things.
    Once I've "broken the back" of whatever work I'm doing I just completely lose interest and struggle to complete it.

I've got so used to doing it that, when I'm working, I deliberately leave some critical problem unsolved until I've finished all the detail work on everything else cos I know that, once I've solved that final problem, I'll struggle to properly finish the job.

I had to change the brake pads in my car last September and, in doing so, I had to remove the stereo to reset the ECU and the stereo is still in the boot. :blush:
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I have two, first is everytime I see a new model of car I have a desire to put a tiny scratch on its bodywork and the second is I touch my nose three times before I leave the house.

And yes I know scratching is wrong but I just cannot stop doing it.

This ought to end well. :o

Me? I have a habit of muttering inane things to myself. I really must stop it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bite the sides of my tongue. I have done since I was a little girl.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffing strangers bums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I like dutch ovening myself.

This is getting a bit much. My homemade dal is clearly lethal. Is like Auschwitz the re-enactment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is getting a bit much. My homemade dal is clearly lethal. Is like Auschwitz the re-enactment.

Can I sniff?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I sniff?

Sicko *snout*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sicko *snout*

Sniff sniff!
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    When I cut my nails, there's always a bit of skin on the edges that sticks out and it drives me crazy so I rip it off.

Now I have little cuts around my nails, bad habit.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    My strange habit is beating people to a pulp, when I see them scratching new cars.
  • BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I count out syllables to letters in words, phrases or sentences that I come across. The "best" sentences have a high number of syllables to a relatively low number of letters. So "I am in India" would be a very good sentence. The sentence passes the test, though, if it manages a syllable for every three letters.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My strange habit is beating people to a pulp, when I see them scratching new cars.
    :D:D:D
  • Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many strange habits/phobias

Panicing about trying to put on a jacket that's too small - I live alone - and then having my arms trapped and stuck.

Actually borne from when this did happen. Ordered a jacket online that should have fit. It arrived, I thought it looked a wee bit 'lacking' for my generous body mass, but tried the damn thing on.

And indeed, I found myself temporarily stuck - living alone - with my arms bound behind my back. Not actually a joke - I've had cold sweats on occasion, for some reason - imagining that, being constricted, no one to help me.

I feel queasy now :blush:

I guess my habit now, is not to rashly order clothing - whereby the sizing may ultimately leave me in a cold sweat for rare, less than usual, reasons.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pick my nose with tweezers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I talk to myself. Usually when I'm trying to figure things out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »

Yes, you do that.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Extended character sets ⌨⎚
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    My weirdest "habit" is actually quite a big problem.

I find it almost impossible to properly finish things.
    Once I've "broken the back" of whatever work I'm doing I just completely lose interest and struggle to complete it.

I've got so used to doing it that, when I'm working, I deliberately leave some critical problem unsolved until I've finished all the detail work on everything else cos I know that, once I've solved that final problem, I'll struggle to properly finish the job.

I had to change the brake pads in my car last September and, in doing so, I had to remove the stereo to reset the ECU and the stereo is still in the boot. :blush:

I've had that problem before, I think it's called project fatigue.

People seem to get over it in their own way. My own is having different projects in the go and then doing a bit at each time on them so you don't lose interest. Documentation helps keep track of them. Dunno if that helps your situation, but still it's an idea.
  • emily67emily67 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    when i don't want to talk to someone, i make it quite clear when they come to speak to me by making an animal sound in response- usually a cat.

that's my strangest habbit

other thing i do is running commentry for everything i do.... i could be eating something- and i'll do (in the style of an entertainer)

"here's emily with a cookie in her hand. the audience cheers as she takes a bite.... will she eat it all?"

*crunch!

again, something i've done so much it's a part of me

if i'm not doing that, i'm making up random songs to sing as i'm doing various activities... "i'm sitting in my chair, sitting in my chair, sitting in my chair...." over and over again.... that sort of thing.
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only eat sandwiches if they are cut in half diagonally.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »

I talk to myself all the time, no matter what I'm doing, most of the time I don't realise I'm doing it.:blush:
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the feel of thin paper, running my fingers tips over the soft, flimsy page.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emily67 wrote: »
    when i don't want to talk to someone, i make it quite clear when they come to speak to me by making an animal sound in response- usually a cat.

that's my strangest habbit

other thing i do is running commentry for everything i do.... i could be eating something- and i'll do (in the style of an entertainer)

"here's emily with a cookie in her hand. the audience cheers as she takes a bite.... will she eat it all?"

*crunch!

again, something i've done so much it's a part of me

if i'm not doing that, i'm making up random songs to sing as i'm doing various activities... "i'm sitting in my chair, sitting in my chair, sitting in my chair...." over and over again.... that sort of thing.

I have often thought that if we could just hiss like a cat when people come over and ask whats wrong and you don't want to speak then life would be so easier. :kitty:
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to have a little table next to me and the 'big light' on.