λ The usage of 'gay' as a noun: acceptable or not?

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    "Gay" as a singular noun sounds a bit strange and unnecessary, so I wouldn't recommend it. However I think "gays" in the plural is OK as informal shorthand for lesbians and gay men, but perhaps not suitable for say a newspaper article.

Fail to understand why, if it is ok in its plural form it must be ok in its singular form. If it is ok to call a heterosexual straight I don't see why it isn't to call a homosexual gay.

Gay as an adjective in its original form and meaning is now effectively defunct.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the exact equivalent to calling someone 'a black', or saying that the pub was 'full of blacks'.

There is a strong general preference for using adjectives rather than nouns in contexts like this. If you say, "the pub was full of gays" is sounds slightly dehumanising. If people can understand why we don't refer to people as 'blacks' they can understand why it is politer to say 'gay people' rather than 'gays'.

Further back, it was considered quite all right to call people 'cripples', which was nice and short, certainly much shorter than 'disabled people' or 'people with disabilities'. More recently, "a spastic" was considered the normal way to refer to people with cerebral palsy, and "a mongol" to someone with downs syndrome. I am glad that those two have gone, especially as both words (often shortened) had become mere playground insults. . For some reason a noun was generally only used of people with mobility problems: we never had people saying, "the pub was full of blinds", or "deafs need special consideration".

Unfortunately what lead to the original words being used as insults, can lead to the new words being used as insults in pretty much the same way. At best having multiple words for it reminds us of how their usage may deviate from what's intended.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Fail to understand why, if it is ok in its plural form it must be ok in its singular form.
    It is sometimes OK in the plural form, on forums like this for example. In the singular it just sounds odd.
    If it is ok to call a heterosexual straight I don't see why it isn't to call a homosexual gay. .
    It is OK, but those examples are adjectives!
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find use of the terms such as Nuclear, Solar and Fibre Optic offensive these days.

eg
    Britain invests £squillions in Nuclear.
    100,000 homes have adopted Solar.
    Have you got Fibre Optic yet?

It's evolution of language but it smacks of laziness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately what lead to the original words being used as insults, can lead to the new words being used as insults in pretty much the same way. At best having multiple words for it reminds us of how their usage may deviate from what's intended.

Theoretically true, but nouns are far more likely to be used as insults than adjectives attached to a neutral noun. Ie I don't think playgrounds are full of children jeering, "you're a person with cerebral palsy! Well you're a person with Downs syndrome!" Gay as an adjective IS of course used as an insult; indeed, I think a research project showed that it is the number one insult in the UK. It could be argued that it is becoming detached from its original (post-war) meaning of homosexual, just as it previously became detached from its original meaning of happy. But whereas there are plenty of satisfactory synonyms for happy, there isn't really a good one for gay. (LGBT does nicely in things like policy documents, but isn't great for casual, personal conversation; it is very non-specific; if a child tells his parents that he is LGBT they are bound to want clarification.)
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    :D:D
    Sorry, it's down to childhood programming* - "have a gay time" is just wrong without "old" (and sung), in the same way that 'm.i.c.' has to be chanted in a very specific way with something of an uphill struggle to stop oneself from adding the next few syllables in the same manner...

* technically that should probably be 'watching tv as a child' but would be less accurate.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is sometimes OK in the plural form, on forums like this for example. In the singular it just sounds odd.

How so afaik plenty of people refer themesleves as gay.

It is OK, but those examples are adjectives!

No they aren't, they are all nouns.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    All I can say is that I, personally, loathe hearing people say things like 'The gays are doing xyz' - just as I would loathe 'The blacks are doing xyz' I find it lazy and dehumanising. I am a gay person or gay woman... not 'a gay'... the plural is 'gay people'.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    All I can say is that I, personally, loathe hearing people say things like 'The gays are doing xyz' - just as I would loathe 'The blacks are doing xyz' I find it lazy and dehumanising. I am a gay person or gay woman... not 'a gay'... the plural is 'gay people'.

If I may ask, how do you react to the word 'lesbian'...either as a noun or an adjective?
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    How so afaik plenty of people refer themesleves as gay.
    Yes, as an adjective, not a noun.
    No they aren't, they are all nouns.

Straight and gay are adjectives in the way you used them in that last sentence!
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prior to about 30 years ago, gay meant happy & jolly.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It offends me when adjectives or verbs are used as nouns regardless of what the words are.
    'Ask' being used as a noun is the worst, as in "It's a big ask" >:(
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    If I may ask, how do you react to the word 'lesbian'...either as a noun or an adjective?

Lesbian is a noun though - 'gay' is an adjective. I don't much like people saying 'The lesbians' though - the definitive article makes it sound like we are the Borg.
    Forum Member

I'd say it was more like 40 years ago or more, but how is this relevant to whether "gay" should be a noun or not now?
    Forum Member

Well words change don't they. '****' used to mean a piece of wood for example. I think it is nice that a word can be used in a positive sense for a change. (Nice used to mean 'precise' as well).
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say it was more like 40 years ago or more, but how is this relevant to whether "gay" should be a noun or not now?

I would like to see gay revert to meaning happy/jolly & homosexuals/lesbians having a new word that has not previously existed in the English language, unlikely I know.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Lesbian is a noun though - 'gay' is an adjective. I don't much like people saying 'The lesbians' though - the definitive article makes it sound like we are the Borg.

It's both a noun and an adjective...which makes it an interesting comparison.
    Forum Member
    I would like to see gay revert to meaning happy/jolly & homosexuals/lesbians having a new word that has not previously existed in the English language, unlikely I know.

Gosh. Do you have some kind of problem with gay people?
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word 'female' has undergone a similar change of usage recently and sounds just as harsh and 'wrong' as a noun as 'gay' does.
    More and more men seem to be caling women 'Females' these days and it really grates on me.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I'm not bothered about the grammatical accuracy. ...........

Many of us are; I hope that's OK with you? :)
    It offends me when adjectives or verbs are used as nouns regardless of what the words are.
    'Ask' being used as a noun is the worst, as in "It's a big ask" >:(

Exactly. It's just sloppy use of language. Even worse, I think it all started in america.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So gay people are proud to call themselves gay and love to go on marches proclaiming how proud they are to be gay but if anyone dares to refer a group of gay folk as gays that is offensive?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would like to see fantastic, cute, pedant, bimbo, harlot, nice, awful, punk, assassin, slag, ****, bully, bitch, bitch, ho, bastard, addict and matrix revert to their original meanings*, but it won't happen in our lifetime. :D

*Original meanings:

Bully = darling, good man, affectionate person, beloved woman
    Pedant = a school teacher
    Awful = full of awe or wonder
    Matrix = a pregnant animal
    Slag = a worthless person (gender neutral) or a metal splinter.
    Harlot = lazy rogue, homeless man, vagabond, tramp
    Fantastic = delusional, doesn't exist in reality, a piece of imagination
    **** = unkempt/slovenly/untidy woman or bad housekeeper. Nothing sexual.
    Assassin = hash eater
    Cute = shrewd, acutely perspective
    Bitch = female dog
    Bitchy = sexually provocative
    Ho = an exclamation of surprise
    Bimbo = a fun-loving man or stupid man
    Bastard = an illegitimate child
    Addict = a person in debt gives him/herself to their debtor as a slave
    Nice = ignorant, silly, foolish
    Punk = a prostitute

I lost points in trivia contests due to not knowing those.
    Forum Member
    So gay people are proud to call themselves gay and love to go on marches proclaiming how proud they are to be gay but if anyone dares to refer a group of gay folk as gays that is offensive?

Context, dear boy, context. And you're missing the point about gay being an adjective rather than a noun. Generally speaking.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's just sloppy use of language. Even worse, I think it all started in america.

Those damn Yanks. When will they stop messing in the affairs of the world?
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Context, dear boy, context. And you're missing the point about gay being an adjective rather than a noun. Generally speaking.
    And I happen to think you are purposely going out of your way to find offence where there is none given my old bean.