The Golf Club PS4

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, with you. My much vaunted want, aka seasons mode, was poorly implemented and felt distinctly shallow. Online was fine with a few buds, but the lack of a proper lobby system I know irked many. Core for me in a Golf game is a substantial career mode, hence the PGA franchise will always prevail here. Sadly the new gen variant, while very playable, doesn't possess the significant depth of last gens PGA titles. So my PSN copy of PGA 13 is my current goto for Golf. Unlike PGA's content rich career, TGC offers nothing truly compelling, however the new features in TGC2 sound like a positive progression. And if there's a substantial and well designed career, allied to the promised enhancements, I'll be day one.

And to the guys who mentioned E-Golf.. Yeah, I too have high hopes for the new iteration. And it's another timeless series that I still visit on PS3.

I think that sometimes game developers don't appreciate how much players what to have a sense of achievement. You can have the best game mechanics and graphics but you want something to aim for when you play. I don't understand why TGC couldn't just introduce a proper season similar to how the PGA tour works in reality. Surely EA don't have a copyright on the idea of having multiple 4 day tournaments over a year?
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PGA Tour - New Real World Course - Fairmont Banff Springs

Forgot to post this update, but back in May, Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course was added to the selection on PGA Tour. One of my favourite real world courses, it's captivating, beautifully scenic and a challenge. For the record it's situated in Banff National Park, a mile high in the Canadian Rockies. Stunning, free and we now have a respectable 19 courses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Everybody's Golf will be both playable and amongst the stage event showcase titles to be previewed at TGS. Show runs Sept 15 - 18. If it's anywhere close to the marvellous PS3 iterations, which I'm sure it will be, I'm in early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both PS4 golfing titles are currently on offer at sub ten in the October sale. PGA Tour Golf is at £9.99, while the superior Golf Club is just £9.29. Discount available till 19.10.

Pro Golf?

And a little reminder that an enhanced TGC2 is set for 'Spring' 2017, no definitive word on whether it will take advantage of PS4 Pro. HB say they have the dev kits, but haven't 'pushed' it to them yet. Anyway, my point being you may want to hold off on TGC1 till then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both PS4 golfing titles are currently on offer at sub ten in the October sale. PGA Tour Golf is at £9.99, while the superior Golf Club is just £9.29. Discount available till 19.10.

Pro Golf?

And a little reminder that an enhanced TGC2 is set for 'Spring' 2017, no definitive word on whether it will take advantage of PS4 Pro. HB say they have the dev kits, but haven't 'pushed' it to them yet. Anyway, my point being you may want to hold off on TGC1 till then.

Thanks Chelsea Saint;

Can you help explain a couple of things to me about TGC? I'm currently trying to get into the game again and am playing the Tour and Tournament modes. However I'm struggling with the handicap requirements - I currently have +5.8 and i'd say it won't let me play 9 out of 10 of them.

Then when I do play a mode the scores of my opponents are ridiculous. The top players are hitting 20 under over 18 holes and there's barely 3-4 between top and 40th. It's really disheartening to play well, score 8 under and still see myself at 41st place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chelsea Saint;

Can you help explain a couple of things to me about TGC? I'm currently trying to get into the game again and am playing the Tour and Tournament modes. However I'm struggling with the handicap requirements - I currently have +5.8 and i'd say it won't let me play 9 out of 10 of them.

Then when I do play a mode the scores of my opponents are ridiculous. The top players are hitting 20 under over 18 holes and there's barely 3-4 between top and 40th. It's really disheartening to play well, score 8 under and still see myself at 41st place.

Ahoy Blue, know what you mean. I and many others dislike the handicap system with a passion we normally reserve for drunken thuggery. Sadly there's no way round it - in handicap tournaments anyway. So look out for tourneys that don't use handicap parameters. Last time I was on there was quite a few tours and tournaments which didn't use handicap. My series of tourneys the 'Casuals Golf Tour' was predominantly handicap free and very popular. Not had time recently, but may resurrect if there's enough interest. Finally, you could try setting up your own non handicap tournaments, the gf and I would partake - maybe rustle up a few on here and some of the guys over at HB Forums. Are we friends yet? If not friend me, mention DS or TGC - I'm sure we could get something organised.

PSN Chelsea-Saint
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good news - HB studios have just announced that The Golf Club will be available in VR later this year. The bad news, well for PS4 owners anyway - it will be exclusive to HTC Vive. Disappointing! Regarding PSVR - PS4 base is no go, slow running. But they are planning 'at some point' to look into a Pro VR version. Take my 700 quid yesterday if this bears technically proficient fruition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just hit a decent if a little rusty -9 on a charming recreation of one of my favourite real world courses Atlanta AC. Well worth a play for the few on here who own TGC. I've got a few of you on here as TGC friends - but if you've got the game and are not, feel free to add me. Rarely play live online, but often challenge friends ghost rounds. Ta.

Chelsea-Saint
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another beaut here. Three Palms TGC - beautifully lit tropical course. Novice friendly, forgiving greens. Minus 11, should have gone lower. Recommended play.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good news - HB studios have just announced that The Golf Club will be available in VR later this year. The bad news, well for PS4 owners anyway - it will be exclusive to HTC Vive. Disappointing! Regarding PSVR - PS4 base is no go, slow running. But they are planning 'at some point' to look into a Pro VR version. Take my 700 quid yesterday if this bears technically proficient fruition.

I was just thinking how good this would be in VR. Not shelling out for a new ps4 for it though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thoughtfully designed boreal charmer here. 'Bentley GC' features clever undulation, attractive water features and lovely natural woodland planting. This one's up there, highly recommended play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TGC2 Motion Capture

While being the best game of golf currently available, TGC1 has it's flaws - none moreso than the less than fluent, immersion sapping, absurdly hunched player animation. However, having recently completed an extensive pro golfer mo-cap shoot over three days - HB Studios inbound TGC2 rectifies that financially imposed fail. Resulting in 3000 seconds of highly realistic animation per model, inclusive of varied pre and post shot animations.

Gotta feeling I might just pick this up!

TGC2 Motion Capture
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TGC2 Motion Capture

While being the best game of golf currently available, TGC1 has it's flaws - none moreso than the less than fluent, immersion sapping, absurdly hunched player animation. However, having recently completed an extensive pro golfer mo-cap shoot over three days - HB Studios inbound TGC2 rectifies that financially imposed fail. Resulting in 3000 seconds of highly realistic animation per model, inclusive of varied pre and post shot animations.

Gotta feeling I might just pick this up!

TGC2 Motion Capture

Interesting stuff.

Though like I said previous, I reckon that the main problem with TGC is not anything to do with the fundamental gameplay, it's to do with a lack of compelling game mode. I really hope they intend to introduce a proper 'tour' mode which replicates the nature of the PGA tour.

I can easily live without some of the 'fluff' of the official title (real players/courses/equipment etc) but as someone that never got into the whole online gaming thing I need a long term single player option that has progression and something to aim for.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff.

Though like I said previous, I reckon that the main problem with TGC is not anything to do with the fundamental gameplay, it's to do with a lack of compelling game mode. I really hope they intend to introduce a proper 'tour' mode which replicates the nature of the PGA tour.

I can easily live without some of the 'fluff' of the official title (real players/courses/equipment etc) but as someone that never got into the whole online gaming thing I need a long term single player option that has progression and something to aim for.

Exactly how I feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff.

mojobrew wrote: »
    Exactly how I feel.
    My much vaunted want, aka seasons/career mode, was poorly implemented and felt distinctly shallow. Core for me in a Golf game is a substantial career mode, hence the PGA franchise will always prevail here.

Yep with you both. If you haven't already, have a read of this Dev Diary for TGC2. Bullets 3 and 4 in particular - Golf Societies allied to an enhanced career mode has much potential.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep with you both. If you haven't already, have a read of this Dev Diary for TGC2. Bullets 3 and 4 in particular - Golf Societies allied to an enhanced career mode has much potential.

Thanks Chelsea Saint. I can't read that now as my work filter blocks it but i'll have a look this evening.

I don't have anything against online collaboration in theory but what they need to do is come up with something that is competitive for all abilities.I don't want to compete against people that dedicate hours and hours to mastering the game. The scoring in the season mode of TGC is actually ok, it's a challenge but not impossible. But as soon as I start any tour and i'm faced with opponents getting 20 under over 18 it's a waste of time even attempting it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DS TGC Christmas Challenge

A nice little Christmas challenge for the handful of you on here who play TGC. I recently hit a world best equalling 20 shot -7 on the nine hole, all par 3, none handicap charmer Swampy Greens. Lovely water laden set, with a gusty wind prevailing. So my challenge is, see if you can go sub 20 before Christmas Day - thus becoming world number one on this course. Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A nice little Christmas challenge for the handful of you on here who play TGC. I recently hit a world best equalling 20 shot -7 on the nine hole, all par 3, none handicap charmer Swampy Greens. Lovely water laden set, with a gusty wind prevailing. So my challenge is, see if you can go sub 20 before Christmas Day - thus becoming world number one on this course. Good luck!

I'll give it a go this weekend :)

I was reading on one of the TGC blogs that there's going to be a career mode in the new game. Really looking forward to that one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Managed 21 - 6 under - but with a bogey on the 6th:cry:

Got a bit of lag on the backswing and only hit at 95%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Equalled the 7 under :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Equalled the 7 under :p

Haha, well played. Yeah, it's a good little test - greens are forgiving but that swirling wind makes approaches fairly tricky. I'll have to get back out there see if I can hit 19.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, well played. Yeah, it's a good little test - greens are forgiving but that swirling wind makes approaches fairly tricky. I'll have to get back out there see if I can hit 19.

The wind was very forgiving yesterday actually - mainly under 5mph. I felt that if I'd played a bit longer I could hit 8 under without too much difficulty, the 8th was the only hole I never birdied.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wind was very forgiving yesterday actually - mainly under 5mph. I felt that if I'd played a bit longer I could hit 8 under without too much difficulty, the 8th was the only hole I never birdied.

Interesting. I've played it about three times and every hole had 10-12mph wind. Here's a couple of examples..

Swampy Greens 4th

Swampy Greens 7th
  • ChrisTakaChrisTaka Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I have tried to give this game a chance on PS4, but the screen tears and lagging make it almost unplayable. I have it on PC, so not really missing out. A great game though, if people practice and give it a chance. Looking forward to TGC 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrisTaka wrote: »
    I have tried to give this game a chance on PS4, but the screen tears and lagging make it almost unplayable. I have it on PC, so not really missing out. A great game though, if people practice and give it a chance. Looking forward to TGC 2

It's certainly not without flaws. However, I negate the technical issues to a degree by carefully selecting my favourite courses. The best are the ones designed specifically for PS4, which contain less planting and object placement. Many of these, particularly courses crafted by some of the top designers - Artic Fury, Naywen, Dr Yeti, Biggins etc, run extremely well on PS4. But yeah, some of the PC-centric offerings are to be avoided. Btw, if anyone wants a list of my favourites - all attractive, all challenging, all run well - let me know and I'll post up.