Connect Speakers to TV

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    What part of the country are you in?.

Perhaps someone here might be local to you and have one you could try?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    sorry - try what?
    Forum Member
    After all this faffing about, I think I've ordered the wrong scart adaptor

I ordered this
    SCART adaptor, 3.5mm socket audio out

but looking at previous advice I think I should have ordered this Scart to SVHS & 3 x RCA Phono TV Adaptor Converter Box

Which one is the correct one?
    Forum Member
    jerez200 wrote: »
    sorry - try what?

A SCART to three phono adaptor.
    Forum Member
    thanks.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is NOT as simple as it sounds.

IF you take audio from the scart socket to the amp / speakers, then the volume is at a fixed level, and you will need to adjust the volume using the amp's controls.

At least if you use the headphone out socket, the level from that will vary as you turn the tv sound up and down, so you will still be able to do everything from the one remote control.

Unless your tv is one of those that puts up an extremely stupid little symbol on the screen to tell you that you have headphones plugged in.

you really would have thought now, with tv speakers being so carp, they would at least give you a pair of speaker sockets, and a switch to turn off the internal speakers.
    Forum Member
    I don't want to use headphones. I am trying to connect pc speakers with amp to the tv as thee is no headphone socket on this new tv. Two other same made tvs have a headphone socket and speakers work fine. So have been taking advice on how to get sound out of the tv with no audio out socket and have been advised to get a scart adaptor etc.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    This is NOT as simple as it sounds.

IF you take audio from the scart socket to the amp / speakers, then the volume is at a fixed level, and you will need to adjust the volume using the amp's controls.

At least if you use the headphone out socket, the level from that will vary as you turn the tv sound up and down, so you will still be able to do everything from the one remote control.
    Unless your tv is one of those that puts up an extremely stupid little symbol on the screen to tell you that you have headphones plugged in.

you really would have thought now, with tv speakers being so carp, they would at least give you a pair of speaker sockets, and a switch to turn off the internal speakers.

The whole point of this thread is there is no headphone socket to take an audio feed from.
    Forum Member
    Thanks c4rv - Yes if I had a headphone socket there would be no problem. Someone seems to be confused. I can't believe I ordered the wrong Scart thinggy. Have ordered the Scart to SVHS & 3 x RCA Phono TV Adaptor Converter Box and will have to wait another three days to see if I can get it to work. Needless to say the wrong Scart adaptor I shouldn't even bother with?
    Forum Member
    Thanks c4rv - Yes if I had a headphone socket there would be no problem. Someone seems to be confused. I can't believe I ordered the wrong Scart thinggy. Have ordered the Scart to SVHS & 3 x RCA Phono TV Adaptor Converter Box and will have to wait another three days to see if I can get it to work. Needless to say the wrong Scart adaptor I shouldn't even bother with?

Why don't you just buy one from a local shop?, it's a commonly stocked item.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just buy one from a local shop?, it's a commonly stocked item.

I was going to suggest this, even 99p shop carries them I think.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why, what's wrong with the scart to 3.5mm adaptor?
    Most computer speakers have 3.5mm input.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    All TV sets in my experience can be connected to an external sound system one way or another. Perhaps the most common "modern" way is via an optical audio out connection but that is expected to be connected to a proper AV amp rather than to a cheapo pair of amplified PC speakers.

I've been considering connecting an AV receiver (amp) and couple of external speakers for my Panasonic TV - but the cost of all these external sound systems seem SO EXPENSIVE! Anybody recommend a good quality AV receiver (amp) & set of speakers (that's really going to improve things) for below £100 or so?
    Forum Member
    Just received the Scart adaptor and it doesn't have any buttons on it. So how would I connect it then, using the phono cable thinggys I bought?

emptybox wrote: »
    Why, what's wrong with the scart to 3.5mm adaptor?
    Most computer speakers have 3.5mm input.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just received the Scart adaptor and it doesn't have any buttons on it. So how would I connect it then, using the phono cable thinggys I bought?

It should look like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-SVHS-3-x-RCA-Phono-Converter-box-TV-Adaptor-/170703556576?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item27beb98fe0
    Forum Member
    Yep that's what it should look like and have ordered it. The other one is totally useless. Thanks so much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep that's what it should look like and have ordered it. The other one is totally useless. Thanks so much

It's not useless, it just needs a straight 3.5 to 3.5mm lead to work.

But yeah, the other one will be useful in more situations because it's got more choice of connections.
    (but at £1.22 it's not likely to be well made)
    Forum Member
    You don't mean a 3.5mm Socket to 2 RCA Phono Plug Cable 2

emptybox wrote: »
    It's not useless, it just needs a straight 3.5 to 3.5mm lead to work.

But yeah, the other one will be useful in more situations because it's got more choice of connections.
    (but at £1.22 it's not likely to be well made)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't mean a 3.5mm Socket to 2 RCA Phono Plug Cable 2

I thought the adaptor you'd rejected had a 3.5mm audio out?
    I was going on your own post
    After all this faffing about, I think I've ordered the wrong scart adaptor

I ordered this SCART adaptor, 3.5mm socket audio out

If it had been me, and I already had an adaptor in my hand, I would have gone and bought a cheap lead for it rather than ordering another adaptor.
    But it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really. :)
    Forum Member
    It was a SCART adaptor, 3.5mm socket audio out
    but doesn't have sockets on it - so can't get it to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a SCART adaptor, 3.5mm socket audio out
    but doesn't have sockets on it - so can't get it to work.

Did have a 3.5mm plug where you can insert head phones into ? Or one where you are expected to plug it into something else.
    Forum Member
    I am getting so confused. The thing I bought was a plain black scart adapter with no sockets. I am trying to connect speakers not headphones
    Forum Member
    I am getting so confused. The thing I bought was a plain black scart adapter with no sockets. I am trying to connect speakers not headphones

Graham posted a picture of what you want in post #41, it's the sort of thing many of us have 'lying about' (I certainly do), which is why I suggested you mention the area you're in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does it look like this ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-Adapter-PHONO-S-VHS-OUT/dp/B000JJ5FLG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334933058&sr=8-3

or this perhaps,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Adapter-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B0035XB4Z4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334933058&sr=8-1
    Forum Member
    This is the one I bought the other day which I now realise is wrong
    .http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BN6L8Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

and this is the one I ordered today which I hope is correct
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q8FEKC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00