Options

So what was Maddie's deal then?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
Forum Member
There was obviously more to Maddie than we saw. She was capable of such cruelty to people like Esther but on the flipside she went above and beyond for George. So why was she so schizoid? Nice one minute and downright evil the next.

Personally I always thought they were building to revealing that she was a victim of molestation. I thought that's were her issues with sex were going. I think they might have scrapped it because of the George/Phoebe storyline. At one point she actually seemed terrified of physical intimacy far above what you would expect a teen to be. I thought that's where her need to control and her superficiality came from. It was a mask. She only seemed to clash with people she couldn't control and that saw through her like Callum and Esther. She also only seemed to(I could be remembering this wrong) only start picking on Esther when Esther saw through her "mask" with the stuff with parents and felt sorry for her noticing that she was actually really unhappy. I think that's why she took more offence to Esther. Callum reacted to her with hostility, Esther pity. For someone who was all about appearrances pity was worse than aggression. Dealing with Esther was just like looking into a mirror of everything she disliked about herself.

I'm so annoyed they killed her off without giving us an answer to why she was the way she was. I also don't think it's socially responsible of Hollyoaks to claim they are going to tackle an important issue like cyber bullying and just kill the bully off. In real life people who are being bullied aren't going to be "lucky" enough to have a "ding dong the witch" is dead moment.

So what do people think? Why was Maddie the way she was? With her dead Oak's is hardly going to give us the answer.

Comments

• Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    There was obviously more to Maddie than we saw. She was capable of such cruelty to people like Esther but on the flipside she went above and beyond for George. So why was she so schizoid? Nice one minute and downright evil the next.

Personally I always thought they were building to revealing that she was a victim of molestation. I thought that's were her issues with sex were going. I think they might have scrapped it because of the George/Phoebe storyline. At one point she actually seemed terrified of physical intimacy far above what you would expect a teen to be. I thought that's where her need to control and her superficiality came from. It was a mask. She only seemed to clash with people she couldn't control and that saw through her like Callum and Esther. She also only seemed to(I could be remembering this wrong) only start picking on Esther when Esther saw through her "mask" with the stuff with parents and felt sorry for her noticing that she was actually really unhappy. I think that's why she took more offence to Esther. Callum reacted to her with hostility, Esther pity. For someone who was all about appearrances pity was worse than aggression. Dealing with Esther was just like looking into a mirror of everything she disliked about herself.

I'm so annoyed they killed her off without giving us an answer to why she was the way she was. I also don't think it's socially responsible of Hollyoaks to claim they are going to tackle an important issue like cyber bullying and just kill the bully off. In real life people who are being bullied aren't going to be "lucky" enough to have a "ding dong the witch" is dead moment.

So what do people think? Why was Maddie the way she was? With her dead Oak's is hardly going to give us the answer.

they never really devoloped her, we seen family issues which caused her to break down ect maybe if they showed why she was so bitter might have made us feel abit more sorry for her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    they never really devoloped her, we seen family issues which caused her to break down ect maybe if they showed why she was so bitter might have made us feel abit more sorry for her

Sure I think people would have been more sympathetic to her if she was explained. I think that's a big tragedy. Someone like Jono who has a more conventional sense of morality doesn't really need to be explained with someone like Maddie though explaining the character's motivations is essential.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maddie was okay when she first came and was with Callum. But they wanted a character everyone loves to hate. Regrettably I think they went too far as she didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities at all.

Though she DID appear to have genuine affection for George and Tilly (Callum too if the truth be known) I think that was more about control than a real care. She could manipulate them. Even after they had seen how mean she was, she could turn them round, well not Callum, to being her friend again. It was all about control. Hence her anger when her parents divorced. She had no control over that and flipped.

I doubt there was ever meant to be any underlying reason why she was so nasty. The writers ,IMO, just went too far in her making.
  • Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    JoToBo wrote: »
    Maddie was okay when she first came and was with Callum. But they wanted a character everyone loves to hate. Regrettably I think they went too far as she didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities at all.

Though she DID appear to have genuine affection for George and Tilly (Callum too if the truth be known) I think that was more about control than a real care. She could manipulate them. Even after they had seen how mean she was, she could turn them round, well not Callum, to being her friend again. It was all about control. Hence her anger when her parents divorced. She had no control over that and flipped.

I doubt there was ever meant to be any underlying reason why she was so nasty. The writers ,IMO, just went too far in her making.

im wondering weather they willl bring up the callum / maddie situation , cause he did really care for her and the last words he said to her must be playing on his mind aswell as tilly hopefully its addressed
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day if a character comes in as a bitch and 18 months later we still dont know why and they dont progress it's time for them to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im wondering weather they willl bring up the callum / maddie situation , cause he did really care for her and the last words he said to her must be playing on his mind aswell as tilly hopefully its addressed

If they do , I hope it is a short lived regret that they had bad words in their last conversations. Both Callum and Tilly were the only ones who knew the 'real' Maddie and I hope they realise that even though they left on bad terms, they shouldn't regret that they told her how it was/how she was/the truth.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never explored it.

Even the actress, in an interview on the website, said we just don't know. Apart from briefly seeing her parents and hearing about their divorce they didn't give her much to work with.

Ruby was a bitchy bully for about six months before they gave her personality to Maddie which shows how bad the whole thing was developed.

And then it seems they threw in the truly evil stuff (like telling Esther to kill herself) at the very last minute to give her a Big Bad Witch death.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's one of the main things that annoys me - we all wanted Maddie to get her comeuppance, and in many ways I'm glad the character was killed off, but there were no real consequences for her while she was alive and that irritates me because, as you say, RL victims of bullying don't usually have a convenient minibus crash to put an end to their bully. The storyline therefore can't be resolved in a way that might help real victims, whatever happens now is not going to be realistic (I know its a soap we're talking about and when is it realistic, but hopefully you know what I mean). Even if everyone finds out what Maddie was really like, there'll be no confrontation, no chance of an apology, etc.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with whats been said about the bullying storyline. How is ending it like this going to help the teenagers the show was supposedly sympathising with? They wanted to highlight the pressures of being bullied but have given real victims no idea on the best course of action to take to help deal with it and rid themselves of the torment.

Unless they continue the bullying with Ruby or Sinead and have them exposed as being one of the ring leaders behind the hate campaign against Esther.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    In real life the bully can cause the person affected to commit suicide! I also watched the interview with scarlett and the guy that plays callum and she did say she would have liked her story to have gone further!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    She was just a bitch, some people just are that way, the environment and school hierarchy is the ideal breeding ground for such creatures who grow out of it in later life.
  • Options
    Scorpio87Scorpio87 Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll never know. And thats what annoys me the most. Her character was destroyed when they turned her from bitch to bully with no really explanation. Although she wasn't extremely popular anyway, her relationship with Callum, the brief appearance from her parents and their divorce should have been the storylines that should have been developed further but instead it was completely dropped and off they went on their 'Queen Bee' tangent and then super glued her to Esther. Her final months turned her from bitchy but human to heartless and cruel and was a massive regression from the character that was introduced. The producers really screwed this character up big time. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I loved her exit!

But I agree there was so much they could have still done with the character!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand, did she 'save' George? I thought she just pushed him out the window, saying hurry up...? Hardly saving someone. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I might re-watch the episode too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was a total mess towards the end.