Orphan Black: BBC America (US Pace)

plateletplatelet Posts: 26,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/080213orphanblack.html

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/

I've just watched the first episode of this.A less cheesy version of Ringer, with a touch of Banshee thrown in and a Sci-Fi twist.

Looks quite promising from the first episode

Comments

• AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    It's dark, edgy, sexy :o.....and Felix is hilarious :D
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was pretty good and the mystery is intriguing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Sounds interesting, is it heading this way?
  • bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the concept, but there is not one likable character in the show (so far), the acting is pretty dire, and it really didn't flow well for me. Parts that should have been suspenseful left me feeling empty and wanting more.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting, is it heading this way?

Just the US and Canada so far, but you'd hope given the BBC involvement that it will make it across
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting enough for me to watch again next week.

What sort of accent is Sarah supposed to have though?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Just the US and Canada so far, but you'd hope given the BBC involvement that it will make it across

BBC America is owned by BBC Worldwide, a profit-making enterprise, and really doesn't have anything to do with the BBC channels that are funded by the licence fee.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    BBC America is owned by BBC Worldwide, a profit-making enterprise, and really doesn't have anything to do with the BBC channels that are funded by the licence fee.

Apart from being a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC and being used to partially fund some programmes shown first in the UK.

The BBC did show BBC America's "Richard Hammond's Crash Course", although it ended being shunted to the early hours after a couple of episodes.

I bet there is some interesting transfer pricing involved (parent company -> subsidiary -> foreign subsidiary).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Interesting enough for me to watch again next week.

What sort of accent is Sarah supposed to have though?

I guess somewhat mongrel.

"She began life in an English orphanage and was bounced between foster homes until she landed on the doorstep of Mrs. S, who finally adopted her and her foster brother Felix. When Sarah was 14, Mrs. S uprooted them under suspicious circumstances and moved them to North America"
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Apart from being a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC and being used to partially fund some programmes shown first in the UK.

Note the distinction between BBC Worldwide and what I referred to as "the BBC channels." One is a profit-making enterprise (that is its purpose), and the other (a set of four entities) is not allowed to make any profits. Some "BBC proper" shows are bought by BBC America, some BBC America actually co-produces, and some BBC projects that the BBC has tried to interest BBC America in co-funding BBC America has flat out refused to co-fund (according to a former BBC America head, Garth Ancier, who was making a point about his company's complete independence from the BBC channels in the UK). BBC America also buys shows from the private UK broadcasters, and they even buy American shows (they show Star Trek: The Next Generation).
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is no one watching this? I love it, The best new sci-fi show I've seen in a long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to confess it's currently on my "watch if likely to be renewed" pile.

I really enjoyed the first episode and expect to love the series, but equally I'd expect to be really peed off if it gets cancelled and leaves us with no resolution. I haven't seen much in the way of press for it yet to get a feel
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kept hearing the title but never knew it had already aired a few episodes. It sounds really good. My cup of tea. Will wait to see if it is renewed though.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it, and I think it's got much better since the first episode.

Still find Sarah's accent bizarre, though. Sounds far more Aussie-ish to me than English, although Paul (I think it was) did say to her last week something like "Why do you sound English now?" so I guess it is meant to be English (especially given that Felix sounds English and they both grew up in London).
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dodgy accents everywhere. I watched a few but the plot was just too daft especially that someone could just walk into someone elses life without anyone really noticing.
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    I watched a few but the plot was just too daft especially that someone could just walk into someone elses life without anyone really noticing.

Why not? Like everyone is going to think your a clone when you act a bit different than normal? It's not a reality show.

Great news that it's renewed.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be checking it out now it is renewed
    I'll either download all the episodes and have a weekend marathon or maybe wait for a UK channel to pick it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched episodes two through six back to back. Loved it.

I'm even over the dodgy accent now, I just pretend she spent a lot of her formative years travelling Australia and New Zealand :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    just watched episodes two through six back to back. Loved it.

I'm even over the dodgy accent now, I just pretend she spent a lot of her formative years travelling Australia and New Zealand :)

Yes it is a good series, I'm glad people recommended it.

It reminds me a little of 'Kyle XY' although with out the super powers (so far).

Love the 'House wife' version of her, especially when she was torturing her husband.

I hope Vick is out of it, he is so annoying.

I got a lesbian vibe from 'Hippy' version.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »

Maybe they will do the same with another BBC America show... Copper
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »

Good fit - it'll do well there. One of my favourite shows right now.

It is funny Copper never got picked up in the UK. Seemed popular enough in the US, though I never watched it myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Any start date for bbc3?