Options

You find a wallet with £150 & no address - hand it in to police, or finders keepers?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Old topic i know, but i wanted to ask opinions.

Me and two mates found a wallet while at a festival. The wallet had £90 in it, but the only cards were a bank card and and a few WHSmith gift cards. It had no other cards in it at all (No I.D, no driving license etc)

We talked for a while about what we should do, before i finally rang the bank (the bank card being the ONLY card in there with her name on, nothing else). I told the bank what we had, and asked if he could take my number, contact the lady, and tell her we found her wallet. He refused, and simply told us to hand it into the police. I tried to say this was the only way of contacting her, and that while i understood he could't give me her number, could he, as her bank, not ring her, but again told no.

We all agreed could we not hand it to the lady upfront to make sure she gets it, we would keep it. Simply put, we don't trust the Police not to take the money themselves. On top of that, we were all pretty broke at this point.

However, a few weeks later (now), i feel pretty bad. I kinda think we did the right thing, but another part of me thinks we didn't, and there's no way of getting rid of the guilt i guess. I always said i would hand a missing wallet in, and yet, i didn't.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ I honestly think you should have handed it in to the police or would there not have been somewhere to get it announced over a loudspeaker or something?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

We all agreed could we not hand it to the lady upfront to make sure she gets it, we would keep it. Simply put, we don't trust the Police not to take the money themselves. On top of that, we were all pretty broke at this point.

However, a few weeks later (now), i feel pretty bad. I kinda think we did the right thing, but another part of me thinks we didn't, and there's no way of getting rid of the guilt i guess. I always said i would hand a missing wallet in, and yet, i didn't.

Not trusting the police is a feeble excuse IMO, you should have handed it in and they would have got in touch via the bank for you.

Hang your head in shame.

Btw you could have simply taken it to lost property at the festival but no you didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    ^ I honestly think you should have handed it in to the police or would there not have been somewhere to get it announced over a loudspeaker or something?

It was pretty late. most had gone home.
    Not trusting the police is a feeble excuse IMO, you should have handed it in and they would have got in touch via the bank for you.

Hang your head in shame.

Btw you could have simply taken it to lost property at the festival but no you didn't.

Its not the best excuse ever, but simply put, i don't trust anyone at all (Police or Lost Property). I've seen way too many "trusted" people do things they should not. I tried to hand it in (I Went out of my own way to ring her bank and try and get hold of her). And had there been any form of I.D in terms of address, i would have looked her up somehow.

I'm not going to "hang my head in shame", because i tried. I just don't feel happy that someone lost money is all.
  • Options
    DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was pretty late. most had gone home.

Its not the best excuse ever, but simply put, i don't trust anyone at all (Police or Lost Property). I've seen way too many "trusted" people do things they should not. I tried to hand it in (I Went out of my own way to ring her bank and try and get hold of her). And had there been any form of I.D in terms of address, i would have looked her up somehow.

I'm not going to "hang my head in shame", because i tried. I just don't feel happy that someone lost money is all.

I think you are right. You did try. It is not as if you felt ypo had an expected winning

A couple of years ago I kept getting post for someone who did not live at my address - and perhaps never had done. I opened the post and there was money in there. I felt guilty for no rational reason so I gave the cash to charity. They did not know and my conscience was clear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd inform the police. There's no need to hand it in to them though. Tell them that if the true owner comes forward and can prove it belongs to them, you will return it.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Sorry but the distrust doesn't wash with me, you should have handed it in knowing that you did the right thing and it's not down to you to question the honesty of those at the local LP or police station like that.

For all you know the person could have inquired at lost property/police station to see if it had been handed in, instead he/she was £90 light at the festival - some fun that is.
  • Options
    QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    temperare wrote: »
    I am not going to

1) Hand it to the police - As to be perfectly honest I cannot be bothered. Most people would not even go to the police station to report it lost and if the rightful owner does not claim it.. What will happen to the money then?

How do you know what most people would do?

If you take it to the police station (which would be the correct thing to do) and no-one claims it within a certain amount of time, then you would then be able to keep it.

To all the people saying that the police would potentially steal it, how could they because when you take it in, you have to fill some paperwork in which verifies how much is in it and you get a copy?
    If they then said the wallet hadn't been claimed and you went to collect it but it was empty, the police would have to investigate within their own ranks what had happened to it (as both you and they have paperwork proving what amount was in it when it was handed it).
    To be honest, IMHO its highly unlikely a police officer would steal it.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't hand it in, I would just ring up the station and tell them that I had found this wallet, and that I would hang on to it in case anybody claimed it.

If I didn't hear anything within a week or two, I would spend the money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was younger I found £80 on the way to school, I was so happy til I got home and my Mum gave me a lecture on never to take things I've found, thinking back I never knew what happened to that :D

I think nowadays I would be suspicious if it didn't have any cards in it, There was a tv show setting people up like that, I think I would be too skeptical of a camera watching me lol I know money doesn't grow on tree and £150 is a lot for someone to lose so I would try my hardest to find the owner and if I couldn't I would hand it into the police.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a thief.

I don't steal other peoples property.

I would hand it in.
  • Options
    Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with many others, hand the wallet to the police.

If I can't be honest with myself, who can I be honest with?
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for the girl at the festival who lost £90. You should have handed it in, there was ID in there. I couldn't have lived with myself if I'd kept it.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the girl at the festival who lost £90. You should have handed it in, there was ID in there. I couldn't have lived with myself if I'd kept it.

This. There is no excuse not to hand it in. The person who kept it is as untrustworthy as he feels the police are.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I'd hand it in. I've had my wallet handed in twice after losing it, and someone handed in the twenty quid I'd forgotten to lift from a cash machine, so it would be payback. Plus, I'd hate to think I have something in common with some of the contributors to this thread.
  • Options
    Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get some decent people in the world but they are few and far between. As someone who posted above I think I'd notify the police that I'd found a wallet or purse but I wouldn't actually trust them to hand it into a station, that is how untrusting of people I am these days.

How can anyone be sure if you handed it into the police station that they wouldn't take it for themselves!
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to hand it in. I found £20 in a shopping basket once and my conscience made me hand it in. Guy behind till said if no one claims it in 2 weeks its yours and was going to record it in the log book. Was in again a fortnight or so later so thought I'd try my luck.

Nothing recorded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm being honest

no address , finders keepers
    with address , finder keepers

id keep they money in both situations , but id also hand the wallet into police (minus the cash)

id just say i found it with no cash in it , they will be grateful to get their cards/photos etc back
    i wouldnt feel guilty in any way either as they lost it , whether i keep cash or not is irrelevant, they already lost it, least id hand wallet in
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me and two mates found a wallet while at a festival. The wallet had £90 in it, but the only cards were a bank card and and a few WHSmith gift cards. It had no other cards in it at all (No I.D, no driving license etc)

We talked for a while about what we should do, before i finally rang the bank (the bank card being the ONLY card in there with her name on, nothing else). I told the bank what we had, and asked if he could take my number, contact the lady, and tell her we found her wallet. He refused, and simply told us to hand it into the police. I tried to say this was the only way of contacting her, and that while i understood he could't give me her number, could he, as her bank, not ring her, but again told no.

I lost my purse years ago with only my bank card in, and money, The bloke who found t did the same, contacted my bank who phoned me and oassed on his contact details. He sent my purse back and didn't even take the cash out to cover the postage like I told him to.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Hand it in definitely. I have done this before, once handed in to customer services in a supermarket and twice handed in to the police station. They weren't large amounts of money but they weren't mine so I would not keep it.

My parner lost his wallet on a night out, hadn't realised in the morning until we received a phone call from the Police. Someone had found it and handed it in.

It's nice to be nice.
  • Options
    QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    It's nice to be nice.

Well said! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Quite saddened at the people who have said they would just pocket it. As for the Festival girl's money and bank card I think you should have contacted the police.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rozzers would probably have a laugh about your naivety after you'd left, and divide the cash up amongst themselves. I think I'd keep it.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    I'd hand it it, without question. Saying you don't trust the police/bus driver/shop to do the right thing - usually with no real reason to say that - is a poor excuse for being dishonest.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So, you don't trust the Police, so you stole it!!

If that excuse makes you feel better, keep it up.

The Police have to record what is handed in, and issue the finder a receipt. After so many weeks, if the owner is not found, the finder will get the property.

In this case, it would be easy to trace the owner.

You are guilty of Theft, simple as.