Tipping - Does it depend on the type of establishment?

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
I was just thinking about the times people tip and when they wouldn't think of it.

If in a restaurant and you have the meal and then ask for the bill then it's a situation where people would leave a tip.

If you pay for the meal upfront though you wouldn't think of tipping, would you?
Not just fast food places but pubs and newer chains like Nandos.

Also buffet restaurants. All the ones i've gone to it has been pay upfront.
They have proper chefs there cooking all the meals.
Although you do plate your own food there are plenty of staff hovering about ready to clear away the finished plates.
I never seen anyone leave a tip at one of these types of places.

I realise there have been many tip threads in the past but it was the difference between pay upfront and pay at the end that I was interested in.

Comments

• kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Social convention does seem to dictate when to tip and when not to. Many people use this as their excuse not to tip at all of course.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate tipping. Why am I giving people my money to do a job they are getting paid to do?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the service.

If the person serving me goes over and beyond their job description, I will tip generously.
    If the person serving me does the bare minimum, I will not tip generously at all.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It depends on the service.

If the person serving me goes over and beyond their job description, I will tip generously.
    If the person serving me does the bare minimum, I will not tip generously at all.
    Does that also apply at McDonalds, Nandos, Subway and Wetherspoons? (or any similar which you may visit)
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Does that also apply at McDonalds, Nandos, Subway and Wetherspoons? (or any similar which you may visit)

I don't visit any of them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends who I am with. If there's a big group of us we tend to tip because of how much they've had to do to accommodate us (move tables, sometimes orders get confusing etc).

Family aren't big tippers, I don't tend to if I'm with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mc Donalds, no, as there is not enough staff interaction to warrant it.

Sit down waiter service, if the server has gone beyond what I expected, I will tip be it a pub or a starred eatery.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    I hate tipping. Why am I giving people my money to do a job they are getting paid to do?

I am completely the other way, I like to tip and will do generously if I so desire.

I have a friend who was an assistant manager of a bar/restaurant here in the UK once.
    He told me that 40% of his wage came from the tips shared out.
    He told me his wage and he thought he was well paid.
    IMO he was not for the hours put in and the shifts he had to work, but then as he said it was better than what he would get in his country.
    If he had just been paid and did not have a share in the tips, he would have been in dire straits IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would not tip at those places as you pay up front and the table service is next to nothing.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever not tipped in a restaurant.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Mr Pink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I'm with Mr Pink.

Is that to do with Res Dogs?
    Go on explain please :)
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever not tipped in a restaurant.

If I've received poor service and constantly had to flag down staff for additional drinks etc then I don't tend to tip...

Staff should notice things like empty glasses and ask if they can get you anything else. Not only is it good service but it's good business too.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to tip regardless of the service I received. Now I am older I will not tip for bad service. I do not particularly like my job so I resent giving up what might be a substantial part of my hourly rate for sub par service. I do tip for good service. If it is exceptional service I also send an email to the owner/boss if possible so the great service might cumulatively add up to a bonus or a promotion if enough people thought to do the same. (I am not adverse to a written complaint though!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am completely the other way, I like to tip and will do generously if I so desire.

I have a friend who was an assistant manager of a bar/restaurant here in the UK once.
    He told me that 40% of his wage came from the tips shared out.
    He told me his wage and he thought he was well paid.
    IMO he was not for the hours put in and the shifts he had to work, but then as he said it was better than what he would get in his country.
    If he had just been paid and did not have a share in the tips, he would have been in dire straits IMO.

And what about all the supermarket workers putting in more hours than they should. Do you tip them after using that service. I'm 100% no tipping. Why would I pay money to a person already getting paid to do that job no matter what job that is. We get paid a minimum wage for a reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would I pay money to a person already getting paid to do that job no matter what job that is.

It's about showing your appreciation...

You don't have to say please and thank you either but most people do.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    If I've received poor service and constantly had to flag down staff for additional drinks etc then I don't tend to tip...

Staff should notice things like empty glasses and ask if they can get you anything else. Not only is it good service but it's good business too.

You're dead right, and now I remember, we didn't leave a tip at one place, where the service was bad. I think there is pressure to leave a tip at places you go to regularly, though, for fear of "repercussions" if you don't?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about all the supermarket workers putting in more hours than they should. Do you tip them after using that service. I'm 100% no tipping. Why would I pay money to a person already getting paid to do that job no matter what job that is. We get paid a minimum wage for a reason.

No I do not tip a person who works at my local supermarket.
    I do what I want to do regarding tipping.
    I do have not problems with those who do not tip, but I myself will tip if I want to.
    I tip taxi drivers if they are nice.
    I tip my hairdresser as well.
    Forum Member
    So as far as food is concerned is it traditional restaurants and possibly quaint cafes that would get a tip but a pub or greasy spoon, motorway services wouldn't?
  • Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although you do plate your own food there are plenty of staff hovering about ready to clear away the finished plates.
    I never seen anyone leave a tip at one of these types of places.

In those places I would usually leave a pound on the tray, but I'm not going to take a sanctimonious swipe at people who don't. I don't think your "good person" credentials stand or fall on whether or not you tip. tbh I have no great material needs and it doesn't feel like tipping costs anything, so I usually do it.
    Forum Member
    It's not really about whether people tip or not. It's if they would tip in one food outlet but not another if the service in both was satisfactory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really about whether people tip or not. It's if they would tip in one food outlet but not another if the service in both was satisfactory.

I doubt you'll find anyone that tips in a pre pay "restaurant" because they simply aren't that sort of establishment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I do not tip a person who works at my local supermarket.
    I do what I want to do regarding tipping.
    I do have not problems with those who do not tip, but I myself will tip if I want to.
    I tip taxi drivers if they are nice.
    I tip my hairdresser as well.

A hairdresser probably gets paid more than a supermarket worker. Probably a taxi driver too. Why are you tipping someone who gets paid more? They are doing a job and getting paid for that job. If you want to tip someone, surely it's the ones getting paid the least amount of money rather than the most. It just makes no logical sense.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re eating, if the food and service is shit then don't give bog all, they haven't worked for any extra.

Recently got back from Las Vegas and two of us left a $70 tip on a $230 bill at Smith & Wollenskys. The food was absolutely amazing - better than anything I've ever eaten out in the UK - the wine was beautiful, and the service and personal attention/general attention to detail was second to nothing like I've ever experienced here. Was totally not expecting it from outside appearances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hairdresser probably gets paid more than a supermarket worker. Probably a taxi driver too. Why are you tipping someone who gets paid more? They are doing a job and getting paid for that job. If you want to tip someone, surely it's the ones getting paid the least amount of money rather than the most. It just makes no logical sense.

I tip for good service at a restaurant as I want to, and as I said I will tip other people who provide a service as well if I am happy.
    I does not have to make sense to anyone but me what I wish to do regarding tipping.