What is your ping?

RogRog Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please go to www.speedtest.net - run the test and report your ping, together with ISP (for the novices, lower number is better).

Mine is 7ms - Virgin Media cable rocks:)

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT doesn't restrict your connection whereas Virgin does at certain times. :D By the way, ping times for FTTC are obviously going to be much higher than an all fibre connection.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    By the way, ping times for FTTC are obviously going to be much higher than an all fibre connection.
    There is absolutely no reason why that should be the case. Most delays in ping times are due to the intermediate routers, the transmission speed in fibre is the same as that in copper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason why that should be the case. Most delays in ping times are due to the intermediate routers, the transmission speed in fibre is the same as that in copper.

I never had a ping time of 5ms with ADSL and ADSL2. I've also used all the servers in Britain on the speedtest website. Explain how I never had a ping time lower than 30ms when on ADSL2 then.

Edit: by the way, when I say much higher, I mean 15ms is the quickest I've had with the website in the link in the first post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT doesn't restrict your connection whereas Virgin does at certain times. :D By the way, ping times for FTTC are obviously going to be much higher than an all fibre connection.

No one mentioned an all fibre connection though. The original poster is on Virgin Media cable.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    I never had a ping time of 5ms with ADSL and ADSL2. I've also used all the servers in Britain on the speedtest website. Explain how I never had a ping time lower than 30ms when on ADSL2 then..
    What does ADSL have to do with a difference between FTTC and "all Fibre" ?

"ping" time (ICMP round-trip) is affected by many things, mostly the number of router hops, but also by general traffic load. You'd need to use something like traceroute to compare the hop count. The actual physical media, fibre or copper, won't have any affect over the link between a local exchange and a home. It's only over national distances where that would make a difference, since you can run fibre for hundreds of km without repeaters (which add delay). That's why companies install it in the backbone network, but are in no rush to install it for the "last mile", where it will make no practical difference.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    22ms 15.38mb down - 1mb up

Sky ADSL till the end of this month!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    No one mentioned an all fibre connection though. The original poster is on Virgin Media cable.

Cable is fibre, is it not? They didn't say anything about ADSL either. I made an assumption based on what they said. How the hell am I supposed to know if they don't make things clear?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    What does ADSL have to do with a difference between FTTC and "all Fibre" ?

"ping" time (ICMP round-trip) is affected by many things, mostly the number of router hops, but also by general traffic load. You'd need to use something like traceroute to compare the hop count. The actual physical media, fibre or copper, won't have any affect over the link between a local exchange and a home. It's only over national distances where that would make a difference, since you can run fibre for hundreds of km without repeaters (which add delay). That's why companies install it in the backbone network, but are in no rush to install it for the "last mile", where it will make no practical difference.

Just saying what ping times I've had when doing speed tests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cable is fibre, is it not? They didn't say anything about ADSL either. I made an assumption based on what they said. How the hell am I supposed to know if they don't make things clear?

You said "all fibre". Cable has a similar amount of fibre to FTTC. Cable is Hybrid Fibre Coaxial, so it is fibre to the cabinet and then coaxial copper from the cabinet to the customer.

They did make it clear, they said Virgin Media cable.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ping 291ms 4.28Mb/s download 0.38Mb/s upload. Orange.
    Doesnae sound too good? :(
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    on chiltern railways, birminghan to london with their free wifi i was getting 5ms ping times actually on the moving train.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Sky fibre pro. 9ms ping, 72.8 down, 19.6 up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said "all fibre". Cable has a similar amount of fibre to FTTC. Cable is Hybrid Fibre Coaxial, so it is fibre to the cabinet and then coaxial copper from the cabinet to the customer.

They did make it clear, they said Virgin Media cable.

Oh, whatever. Can't be bloody bothered. I'm not going to argue because I don't know whether you're lying or not.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    52ping
    6.24 dl
    0.68 upload
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, whatever. Can't be bloody bothered. I'm not going to argue because I don't know whether you're lying or not.

Lying? Why would I lie? It would be easy enough for you to check if I'm lying anyway just Google "Virgin Media HFC" and you will see I'm not lying!

You seemed to think that Virgin run a pure fibre network and I just corrected you and told you it was HFC. What's the big deal? Not sure what you're getting ratty about.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Ping 291ms 4.28Mb/s download 0.38Mb/s upload. Orange.
    Doesnae sound too good? :(

You can't have fibre cabinets in Scotland as they have to discover electricity first! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lying? Why would I lie? It would be easy enough for you to check if I'm lying anyway just Google "Virgin Media HFC" and you will see I'm not lying!

You seemed to think that Virgin run a pure fibre network and I just corrected you and told you it was HFC. What's the big deal? Not sure what you're getting ratty about.

So why do Virgin advertise that you don't need a phone line with their cable broadband?
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do Virgin advertise that you don't need a phone line with their cable broadband?

Probably because you don't !!!!!

MikeB is spot on though with what he's saying. :)

Cable broadband is fibre to the node then delivered to your house via a coaxial cable completely separate from your phone line , with BT's FTTC its fibre optic to the street cab then delivered over your copper phone wire hence why you need a phone line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you even Google what I suggested? Why do I have to explain this all to you whilst you accuse me of lying?

I don't see what relevance your question has at all about the phone line but I'll answer it. Virgin have their own separate network. It IS HFC, it isn't pure fibre. It is theirs and they don't share it with anyone. So it's up to them if they don't want to require you have a phone line with their broadband.

Their broadband isn't delivered over a phone line, it is delivered as I've said via fibre to a cabinet in the street and then coaxial cable from the cabinet to your house. So it's a good differentiator from the competition for them to be able to advertise that you don't NEED a phone line to have their broadband.

Thanks for backing me up.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Infinity 76Mb:

Peak times:
    10-15ms
    69-70Mb

Off-peak times:
    10-11ms
    74-75Mb

I used to have Virgin Media 120Mb up until October 2013 at my previous address, the only real difference i notice is Youtube works much better with BT Infinity. On VM there was constant buffering issues normally at peak times especially at 720/1080 quality, which i barely notice with BT.

So i dont know which i prefer. If BT Infinity matched the speed of VM, then id prefer BT... just based on the youtube thing (and other similar streaming video websites). Ping was about the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you even Google what I suggested? Why do I have to explain this all to you whilst you accuse me of lying?

I don't see what relevance your question has at all about the phone line but I'll answer it. Virgin have their own separate network. It IS HFC, it isn't pure fibre. It is theirs and they don't share it with anyone. So it's up to them if they don't want to require you have a phone line with their broadband.

Their broadband isn't delivered over a phone line, it is delivered as I've said via fibre to a cabinet in the street and then coaxial cable from the cabinet to your house. So it's a good differentiator from the competition for them to be able to advertise that you don't NEED a phone line to have their broadband.

Thanks for backing me up.

Just forget it. I won't bother you again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because you don't !!!!!

Cable broadband is fibre to the node then delivered to your house via a coaxial cable completely separate from your phone line , with BT's FTTC its fibre optic to the street cab then delivered over your copper phone wire hence why you need a phone line.

Right. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just forget it. I won't bother you again.

Why are you getting so offended? You haven't bothered me at all. Maybe you shouldn't be so sceptical about what people are saying. I've no reason to come on here and make things up as I've got better things to do.

I just don't get your logic at all. Someone says something on a forum and it doesn't sound correct to you-surely you'd check for yourself before accusing them of lying? I would anyway.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't have fibre cabinets in Scotland as they have to discover electricity first! :p

They're a rare breed, right enough. :D
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine used to be about 5ms but that was wired.

This is on WiFi (5GHz channel 44 with the signal going though a brick wall)

Download 74.85 Mb/s
    Upload 19.00 Mb/s
    Ping 13 ms