Line Of Duty - New Series BBC2 (No Spoilers)

Comments

• simon6942simon6942 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    So why did they need to kill Akers and the other police?
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmm not sure. Feel that Denton took the rap just for following Dryden, seeing Carly getting beaten up and approaching Tommy re Carly attack. All she did was for the girl, the money was wrong, but it helped her mum. She's behind bars but did little wrong ( the money and the tracker I know ) don't think that deserves a life sentence. Oh and bloody Dot! Getting away with it again!
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see why they needed to pretend that the body at the garage was Carly. What did that achieve as Carly was alive?
    Why wasn't Denton picked up on the cctv at the reception?
    What was Akers doing? Was it that she was setting up Denton for Cotton, but was doubled crossed by Cotton?
    What was the handover of Tommy supposed to do and handed over to whom? I didn't follow how that would achieve justice for Carly.
    So the choice of turning off to Long Lane was just random or was it agreed?
    What was the call to Fleming from Akers just before the ambush about?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon6942 wrote: »
    Killing Akers was good for Cotton, the other 2 were collateral damage.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member

Doesn't Akers sitting in the car next to Dot answer that question?
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member

Just Cole going too far again because he turned out to be a psycho?
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    If that is the case, how did the ambushers get there so fast? Her comment before turning left could be seen as a "let's do it" rather than "I'm not doing it".

the ambushers may have been coming that way to cut them off on the main road
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Akers was the link from Denton back to others ie Cottan. Without Akers, Denton had nothing.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dot knew she knew names which she could use to get back at him if she ever got caught. The other two policemen were innocent parties who simply got caught in the ambush.
  • theboyroddtheboyrodd Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    A bit of a let down for a start Denton would not be convicted no evidence whatsoever

Half of me thinks this was a brilliant show yet again let down by the ending, like broadchurch

The money they found wouldn't prove it was dentons cash
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    If that is the case, how did the ambushers get there so fast? Her comment before turning left could be seen as a "let's do it" rather than "I'm not doing it".
    Yes, that's what I thought. I didn't follow what was supposed to happen if she didn't turn off.
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the next series has to be about Cottan getting investigated now.

If they want this show to run for more series, then they can't continue to have an extremely corrupt police officer at the heart of the anti-corruption unit.

Oh I hope so as Dot has been the most corrupt one in both series now and got away with it >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    So Dot was in on getting Tommy killed... Covering up his past? Or still corrupt? I'm not sure.
    Tommy was in the video clip saying he would expose the corrupt Police, so Cotton saw a way to silence him whilst removing Akers as a witness and possible weak link whilst framing Denton.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    theboyrodd wrote: »
    A bit of a let down for a start Denton would not be convicted no evidence whatsoever

Half of me thinks this was a brilliant show yet again let down by the ending, like broadchurch

You're not wrong. Similar let down to that in S1.

Its the inevitable conclusion, I'm afraid, when the writer basically wings it all the way through for the sake of excitement.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    the ambushers may have been coming that way to cut them off on the main road
    Wouldn't they have been nearer the junction? Especially as the knew where the convoy was on the road. There would be little point ambushing from behind as the car could driver faster and be near the police station.
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    Maybe there will be an Appeal. Has Keeley been asked back?
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol @ Dot! Can't believe that Denton would be so dumb as to stash a bag of dosh in her own house but hey ho it's only a drama series so poetic licence is allowed :D

The final episode didn't live up to expectations. It was a bit too close to what happened to Tony Gates with the baddies getting off spliced with Denton suddenly losing her ability to plan several steps ahead to facilitate the ending. At least she didn't die although now that she's back with the screws from Comedy Central she can expect a living hell!

Wonder if Dot will get his comeuppance in series 3. I just hope we don't have another Tony / Lindsay character. It's time for something fresh.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess Denton's story of selling her house to fund her mum's care was a whole of hogwash. (She was moaning about being a poxy flat with the loud neighbour). In which case why didn't AC-12 pick this up during their investigation? Did she have a house to sell or not? Yeah, it would be weird to explain away a wad of cash in a holdall but if her story held, it wouldn't be that implausible. A bit of a stretch but not implausible.
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Cant wait for the 3rd series , just like the first series though the main suspect wasn't really the baddy , it was the same as the first series Dot , I knew he must have some involvement but didn't realise how far it went, it was a great ending and kept me guessing till the final reveal, as mentioned in the writers interview it leaves loads of loose ends but is a perfect set up for the 3rd series , I just hope it doesn't take nearly 2 years again
  • theboyroddtheboyrodd Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    You're not wrong. Similar let down to that in S1.

Its the inevitable conclusion, I'm afraid, when the writer basically wings it all the way through for the sake of excitement.

I agree all that hard work for nothing. It seems jed got near the end and went this this and this, that will do and couldn't be bothered anymore.

Really frustrates me "we need to leave loose ends" no you don't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Beyond reasonable doubt"? I think it could easily be argued it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I guess that the main reason the finale feels like a bit of a let down is because the bad guy didn't get caught... it still feels like there should be another episode!
  • ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Tommy was in the video clip saying he would expose the corrupt Police, so Cotton saw a way to silence him whilst removing Akers as a witness and possible weak link whilst framing Denton.

That's a point.... Did I miss it or do we still not know who the two faced bastard is?
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linfran wrote: »
    Maybe there will be an Appeal. Has Keeley been asked back?

I'm beginning to wonder if the writer might do that. Keeley has been mesmerising in this role and the media attention for it all has gone off the scale. I think a lot of viewers were on her side. I guess he didn't quite guess how good a portrayal it would be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I guess Denton's story of selling her house to fund her mum's care was a whole of hogwash.
    No, that was the motivation to take the money. They did investigate her finances, that was why they thought she was vulnerable to bribery.