Options

New Worlds (Civil War era drama) C4

elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just noticed this is on tonight first part of four. I'm not especially interested in this period but it was filmed in Wells where I lived for a while so I want to have a look.
I'm out tonight but I'll record it and comment later.

imdb says:
New Worlds is a gripping story of love, loss and the human price paid for the freedoms and liberties we enjoy today. We follow the fortunes of four young people - Beth, Hope, Abe and Ned - from across both sides of the Atlantic, caught up in these turbulent times. We see them struggle as they are torn between love and ideals in the harsh reality of the changing world. In England, the restored monarchy of Charles II has betrayed its promises and reverted to tyranny. Behind the decadence of the Court, a terror machine is repressing the freedoms won for the people with so much blood during the Civil War of England when Charles I was executed. In America, the tentacles of state terror reach the English colonists of New England who are struggling to throw off the shackles of the English Crown. At the same time the colonists are ruthlessly staking their claim to the territories occupied by the Native American Indians, and shedding much of the American Indian's blood in the process - in a chilling echo of the tyrannical behaviour that they sought to escape from when they crossed the Atlantic.

(Can't see a thread on this)

Comments

• Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks quite interesting so I'll be watching it
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Bit gory so far.....
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this made for cinema release? If not why is it letterboxed? I hope this isn't the start of a trend, I'm all for movies being shown in their correct cinematic aspect ratio but making TV shows the wrong shape is inexcusable.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a sequel to The Devil's ****?
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »

I believe so.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    Was this made for cinema release? If not why is it letterboxed? I hope this isn't the start of a trend, I'm all for movies being shown in their correct cinematic aspect ratio but making TV shows the wrong shape is inexcusable.

A few British dramas made in the last year or so use this Faux-scope letterboxing. Like you I have no problem with cinematic films being shown in the correct aspect ratio but for a TV show it is just pretentious. To be fair this show looks pretty good although it would have been shot with 16:9 digital cameras all the shots are composed for post production letterboxing, other shows that have used this technique just slap bars on a shot composed for 16:9 and look crap.
  • Options
    si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is pretty hard to keep track of all of the different elements to this story. All very moody in muddy greys and browns - but all very samey in terms of the look of each scene. Not exactly subtle in terms of the social messages it is sending out. I won't be tuning in for the rest of the series.

I can't find enough to enjoy - and I don't find any of the characters engaging enough to care about them.

Feels a bit over-written and under-characterized, if I am being honest.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Is it any good? I recorded it but fear it's going to be like 'Pillars of the Earth' or similar crap i.e. contrived story lines and gratuitous sexual content.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    It's got Patrick Malahide in it. That's good enough for me. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok, although with Col. Galt (is that the right name) out of the picture I'm not sure what will link the North America storyline with the England storyline.

It does have the potential for a decent story, although it's a bit heavy on the moralising about the plight of the poor people at the time.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it any good? I recorded it but fear it's going to be like 'Pillars of the Earth' or similar crap i.e. contrived story lines and gratuitous sexual content.
    There was a kiss.
    As to the story line, hard to say. There are 3 strands, and they jumped around a bit without quite introducing who is who and how they fit in the power structures. I will give it another week, to see if it is more engaging.
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, always filmed as a tv mini series. (BTW, filmed in and around Bristol and somerset last year.)
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently ratings for this were disastrous (700k). If it were on Five they`d pull it off air!
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

there's already been a few of these 'letterboxed' tv shows , I don't like it either , I imagine they think it makes it look cinematic .
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched about 20 minutes on 4 +1 as an afterthought, then put the news back on.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first episode but don't think I will bother with any more. Just another soap set in a historically inaccurate setting. For one thing, scalping someone to make the American natives think it was done by one of their own is exactly the wrong thing to do given how it was the settlers who introduce the practise in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched it tonight. Wow, it stank. Really awful, thin stuff with no sense of direction or narrative. I hated Jamie Dornan's mullet wig too.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it tonight. Wow, it stank. Really awful, thin stuff with no sense of direction or narrative. I hated Jamie Dornan's mullet wig too.

I think your post is being too kind, i cannot even begin to give my opinion as I'm utterly speechless at the quality of the drivel.

It has succeeded in making the White Queen look good.:o
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »

I thought that was a drama about diana spencer :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think your post is being too kind, i cannot even begin to give my opinion as I'm utterly speechless at the quality of the drivel.

Indeed. The risible White Queen looked like Shakespeare in comparison. It was all so pointless! The old man living in a cave, and the tracker who was so inept he got murdered by someone he was tracking(!) and, despite the tracker dying, the king's stooge still managed to corner the old man on a mountain top! It was complete rubbish from beginning to end but it did give me a few unintentional laugh-out-loud moments.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought it was alright, will tune in for rest of season
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I quite enjoyed it. A bit of bloodthirsty, bodice-ripping fun, where characters are very definitely Good or Bad and historical context goes out of the window. One of those things you have to take it for what it is - Dallas in buckskin - and not what you wish it was. More entertaining than The White Queen, which turned out to be a bit of snoozefest imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I recorded New Worlds and was keen to watch it. Having sat through the whole first episode I thought it complete junk. I won't be watching any further episodes, very disappointed. Have deleted recording schedule for remaining episodes.

Whoever at channel 4 commissioned this, I wonder why!? For starters the historical accuracy was laughable. It was unnecessarily too gory & too violent, and did so in a way that didn't enhance the story being told, which in itself was difficult to follow! None of the characters came across as interesting either. The show failed to either educate or entertain me. Instead it felt like a naff Hollywood TV movie, as opposed to high quality British period drama's that we're used to in this country.

I like Channel 4, its commissioned some great telly, and rarely have I been disappointed in its commissioning. But 'New Worlds' is a real let down, and I think a complete waste of money, and so far off the mark from where it should of been at! :(
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The White Queen was good. :)

I found it a bit confusing and I couldn't read the titles at the start. I will give it another go.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get the impression that the young heros are reckless idiots.